Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat (USA) cardholders can now get Equinox Plus annual plan for "free"

Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Equinox Plus now has a $300 annual plan for Amex Plat cardholders. BUT there are taxes which seem to be hidden from the buyer when purchasing.
Since the Equinox credit is now $300 annual for the Amex Plat rather than $25 monthly, it's now possible to get annual Equinox Plus for just the cost of the taxes.

Anyone have data points on what the taxes are for various states?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by randomasian
Equinox Plus now has a $300 annual plan for Amex Plat cardholders. BUT there are taxes which seem to be hidden from the buyer when purchasing.
Since the Equinox credit is now $300 annual for the Amex Plat rather than $25 monthly, it's now possible to get annual Equinox Plus for just the cost of the taxes.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...edit-explained
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:34 am

anyone here w/ E by EQ? wondering if its really $26k/year.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:49 am

dam how much is it regularly for a year where you are? In Canada its $171/month. So offering $300/year and you only pay additional taxes sounds like an amazing offer.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Equinox Plus is $39.99 a month in the US. 171 CAD just to use a fitness app is pretty ridiculous. Are you sure that $171 price is ONLY for Equinox+ and doesn't give any access to Equinox gyms or other benefits?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....ONLY for Equinox+ and doesn't give any access to Equinox gyms or other benefits?
This note in the Apple Store suggests that in Canada Equinox+ service is bundled with a conventional club membership: For the UK and Canada, currently the Equinox+ app is only available for Equinox club members.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:11 am

Equinox Plus is $39.99 a month in the US. 171 CAD just to use a fitness app is pretty ridiculous. Are you sure that $171 price is ONLY for Equinox+ and doesn't give any access to Equinox gyms or other benefits?
ahh I completely misread and didn't see the "+". I thought this was for the physical gym memberships. Would've been an absolute wild deal considering the premium they charge for in person gyms.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:07 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the app, and the fact that it will now be entirely covered by the credit with no "copay" will reflect favorably when considering renewal. I also like SXM and Paramount+ (although am aware that the latter can be had free via monthly special codes, but the WM+ would negate having to keep tabs on that).
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Anyone know any gyms that will let you pay for only 1 month?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
My wife has an Equinox+ membership for the at-home SoulCycle bike ($40/month) and her Amex Plat effectively reduces it to $15/month.

I just had a thought - I also have an Amex Plat (separate account, not AU). Could we split the charge to cover the whole thing?

It would probably require a monthly phone call to Equinox every month, but it's an intriguing idea.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by njvandy
My wife has an Equinox+ membership for the at-home SoulCycle bike ($40/month) and her Amex Plat effectively reduces it to $15/month.

I just had a thought - I also have an Amex Plat (separate account, not AU). Could we split the charge to cover the whole thing?

It would probably require a monthly phone call to Equinox every month, but it's an intriguing idea.
The answer is almost certainly yes from Amex's standpoint, the question is really just how much of a hassle the split charge is with the vendor and whether they are willing to do it (and you are willing to do the necessary process each month to save $15). I doubt there is for this kind of product, but in some cases (like cell phone bills, often) you can make an arbitrary one-off payment on a company's website, which if there is an option to do that it would be pretty easy.
njvandy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by njvandy

You can now send an email to equinox and ask them to convert your wife's monthly membership into an annual membership and they will charge her amex plat $300 for the entire year which will essentially give her the membership for free. You can also sign up directly for the annual plan on your card and get another membership free for yourself.

Here's the link that provides the details - Equinox+ Platinum

Last edited by arshi007; Jan 10, 2023 at 5:03 pm Reason: adding the link to equinox+ platinum benefit
Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:40 am

Greetings from the mighty state of Connecticut!

Charge just came through today at $319.05 (Equinox frontloads a free 7 day trial when you first sign up for this). I thought I would give this a try but I will likely end up cancelling this as redundant to my family's existing Peloton subscription.

It would be nice if amex handled this similar to how they handle the Walmart+ credit but, reading the terms, it is fairly clear that we are on the hook for tax.
randomasian likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: none
I dont think charging other than membership works ;(
lax01 likes this.

Last edited by jtnet; Jan 12, 2023 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jtnet
Does someone want to try and make an equinox+ apparel buy and see if it gets credited?
hah this is what I want to know...I have an Equinox across the street but it doesn't seem like your typical statement credit due to the sign-up flow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.