Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just did $850 across 2 personal plats, 1 biz plat, and 1 aspire. Will edit/post again when credit posts.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:42 am

Charged 1x$250 to Hilton Aspire 1/2/23
EDIT: Credit posted 1/7/23.
seychellesbound likes this.

Last edited by todd236; Jan 9, 2023 at 11:46 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:00 am

datapoint
12/25 - choose UA

12/26 - 1x $100 TB - credited on 12/31
12/27 - 1x $100 TB - credited on 1/1
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It doesnt look like the airline is listed from last year, should we confirm again by using the change airline function?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by nk15
It doesnt look like the airline is listed from last year, should we confirm again by using the change airline function?
Mine was showing on 1/1
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Purchased $200 + $250 for my plat and aspire card yesterday. Will post again when it gets reimbursed.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:05 pm

1/02 5pm central - 1x $250 GC purchased from link in OP via Amex Aspire.
1/04 10am - charge posted to Amex
1/07 midday - no change
1/09 morning - observed the credit posted, dated to 1/7

Success.

Last edited by Jordanlong20; Jan 9, 2023 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by blitzen
Mine was showing on 1/1
You're right, I missed it, since they change the visual format.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Amex Biz Plat:
1/1 re-selected UA
1/2 purchased $50 travelbank (waiting for DP to buy more)
Old Jan 2, 2023, 4:50 pm

Would it be possible to buy $200 travel bank, get credited, and then change your preferred airline before January passes?
I want the 35% airline benefit from my biz plat but want to use the credits on TB.
All I could find was a post 3 years ago.

Changing preferred airline after $200 fee has been used
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:45 pm

Amex Plat:
1/1 changed airline to UA
1/2 Checked the Benefits page to confirm United Airlines as chosen airline and then purchased $100 x2 travel bank

*Both $100 TB purchases credited on 1/7*

Last edited by Jampack200; Jan 8, 2023 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by hyungjoh
Would it be possible to buy $200 travel bank, get credited, and then change your preferred airline before January passes?
I want the 35% airline benefit from my biz plat but want to use the credits on TB.
All I could find was a post 3 years ago.

Changing preferred airline after $200 fee has been used
Its a YMMV situation and sometimes will take asking a few times. I've been successful in changing it in the past, but not always on the first try. If you're asking if you will be able to change it yourself online, then I'm not sure about that because I've never tried in January.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Its a YMMV situation and sometimes will take asking a few times. I've been successful in changing it in the past, but not always on the first try. If you're asking if you will be able to change it yourself online, then I'm not sure about that because I've never tried in January.
Yeah, since you can change your preferred airline in January I was wondering if I would be able to change it after getting reimbursed. Still, thanks for your DPs!
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:38 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Cant update my datapoints in the old thread.

12/25 - $200 purchased
12/29 - AMEX website said I used my credit for the year
12/30 - Credit posted
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by cczzll
Cant update my datapoints in the old thread.

12/25 - $200 purchased
12/29 - AMEX website said I used my credit for the year
12/30 - Credit posted
Do you mean $200 in Travel Bank funds? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.