Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Platinum USA rental car benefit (Avis, Hertz, National)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I don't rent cars often enough to have status with a particular company. I've looked over the three options that give some perk to Platinum holders and I don't see a clear winner. Any chance that I missed something in the fine print? (I need to book a car soon, just can't figure out which vendor to use.)
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous discussion from 2011: Avis, Hertz or National? I wouldn't look at that thread for answers, because too much will have changed, but it may give you ideas about factors to consider.
JakiChan likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by JakiChan
... just can't figure out which vendor to use.)
Don't use Hertz. MANY reports and episodes of people arrested after Hertz reports their rental car as being stolen. Search "Hertz lawsuit", many results including:
Hertz Is Still Having Rental Car Customers Wrongfully Arrested, Lawsuit Claims
Hertz faces lawsuit from 47 customers claiming false arrests
Kacee, Mike B and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Any chance that I missed something in the fine print?
Hertz gives a four hour grace period to return a car without charging for extra hours. 4 hour grace period with Hertz + Amex Plat?

(We typically rent from Hertz. No arrests.)
JakiChan and Cliff358 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

mia, Cliff358 and 747FC like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:39 am

Thanks for sharing... this is great, my PC status was about to expire... although every time I travel, I make a booking with both National (Exec Elite) and Hertz (President's Circle) and I always end up taking a car w/ National instead bc of their fleet quality
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO the National Executive benefit is the most valuable. National is all around easier/better to deal with than Hertz. While I've never been arrested by Hertz, I've been screwed by them many times - everything from crappy cars and won't let you choose another one to charging for fuel when I returned on a full tank.

I also think there's something to be said for NOT patronizing a company that routinely has its customers arrested due its own errors, and refuses to fix its processes.
Mike B and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:00 pm

National has the best cars, best rewards program, best customer service...but it's also the most expensive. Hertz is a poor man's National. I'd rank Avis third because it's just as expensive as the others but without any of the benefits.
Mike B, rambling man and dw like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benmo13
Thanks for sharing... this is great, my PC status was about to expire... although every time I travel, I make a booking with both National (Exec Elite) and Hertz (President's Circle) and I always end up taking a car w/ National instead bc of their fleet quality
So, as indicated I don't rent quite enough for it to matter, but I'd like to make sure that I understand correctly: You arrive with two rental car reservations and only take one? Do you just cancel the other one from the app?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907
National has the best cars, best rewards program, best customer service...but it's also the most expensive. Hertz is a poor man's National. I'd rank Avis third because it's just as expensive as the others but without any of the benefits.
Agree that National has the best fleet and service. Rewards program - good if you do a lot of short inexpensive rentals. I could spend $450 for a long-weekend rental from Manhattan and get the same credit toward a free rental as a $30 one-day rental, say, off-season in Florida. Hertz is "more fair" as it's based on spend and there are various redemption options. My other problem with National is that their hours in New York City are terrible, it's like they don't really want people renting cars from them. In terms of National pricing, I usually find that not using any code gives the best rate (cheaper than using the Amex code it seems!), unless you have a good corporate discount you can use.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:18 pm

Correct - I cancel the other from the app.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agree that National has the best fleet and service. Rewards program - good if you do a lot of short inexpensive rentals. I could spend $450 for a long-weekend rental from Manhattan and get the same credit toward a free rental as a $30 one-day rental, say, off-season in Florida. Hertz is "more fair" as it's based on spend and there are various redemption options. My other problem with National is that their hours in New York City are terrible, it's like they don't really want people renting cars from them. In terms of National pricing, I usually find that not using any code gives the best rate (cheaper than using the Amex code it seems!), unless you have a good corporate discount you can use.
I wouldn't trade National's rewards program for anything because the free days are totally unrestricted in terms of dates, and for executive elite members they can be used on any car class. I value each free day at $100 minimum, and it only takes 5-6 rentals to get one.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benmo13
Correct - I cancel the other from the app.
Other than the hassle of having to walk between both places (if they aren't close together) are there any sort of "no show" risks?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
I wouldn't trade National's rewards program for anything because the free days are totally unrestricted in terms of dates, and for executive elite members they can be used on any car class. I value each free day at $100 minimum, and it only takes 5-6 rentals to get one.
That does sound good, but AmEx doesn't get you that tier, right? Just the one below.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Other than the hassle of having to walk between both places (if they aren't close together) are there any sort of "no show" risks?
maybe this:

Card still charged on 'pay-later' reservation after flight issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.