Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Platinum decision time — help request

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Other reports say it must be an Amex, but not necessarily the Amex Plat.
Exactly this, from https://amextravel.com under the Fine Hotels + Resorts®section at the bottom with the rest of Terms and Conditions:
Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express® Card, in the eligible Card Member's name, and that Card Member must be traveling on the itinerary booked.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by jags86
... Thoughts?
Apply for a biz Plat. If you’re lucky (like many others) AmEx will then start sending you targeted NLL offers for biz Plats and biz Golds every few months. SUB(s) more than compensates for the first year AF(s), cancel(s) at 12.5 months if no appropriate retention offer. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Apply for a biz Plat. If you’re lucky (like many others) AmEx will then start sending you targeted NLL offers for biz Plats and biz Golds every few months. SUB(s) more than compensates for the first year AF(s), cancel(s) at 12.5 months if no appropriate retention offer. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Would be nice but I am unable to meet $15k minimum spends.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
Other reports say it must be an Amex, but not necessarily the Amex Plat.
That is what we did. We used a different Amex card for incidentals.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by jags86
Would be nice but I am unable to meet $15k minimum spends.
Understood, I used to be in the same boat. Then I started (over)paying quarterly estimated taxes, both state and federal. Even with the 1.87%-1.98% federal juice* and 2.25% NY juice the SUB more than compensates for the AF plus juice. And sometimes get a nice refund check in the springtime or early summer, kinda like a Christmas Club savings account.

(* Juice as in vigorish, vig, cut or transaction fee; the percentage deducted from a gambler's winnings by the organizers of a game, the fee charged by a bookmaker (or bookie) for accepting a gambler's wager. In American English, it can also refer to the interest owed a loanshark in consideration for credit.)

Biz Plat: $15,000 MS, ~$700 AF, ~$281-$338 fees on tax payments = ~$1000 total fees for 150K MR (SUB) + 22,500 MR ($15K at 1.5x for charges over $5K) + ~300 MR (~$300 fee at 1x) = ~173K MR = ~$0.006 per MR easily leveraged to over ~$0.01 for airline ticket purchases (particularly with 35% rebate) or redeemed at $0.01 or better. Lounge access and other perks are gravy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.