Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Platinum $200 Credit for booking through Amex Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First

Just wondering where do people use the $200 credit?
Flights - For the longest time I have always booked my flight via Air Canada's website, makes it a lot easier.
Car Rental - I always use Avis but I have a AWD/Wizard code from my work which is much cheaper than AMEX
Hotel - I have a top level status with IHG and usually prefer to book via their website, unless I can use AMEX Travel to book and get all the points and benefits of my status?

Reading around the forum it seems there is no other way to get "reimburse" with the $200, unless its via AMEX Travel. Am I missing something?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Just wondering where do people use the $200 credit?
Flights - For the longest time I have always booked my flight via Air Canada's website, makes it a lot easier.
Car Rental - I always use Avis but I have a AWD/Wizard code from my work which is much cheaper than AMEX
Hotel - I have a top level status with IHG and usually prefer to book via their website, unless I can use AMEX Travel to book and get all the points and benefits of my status?
Just use the credit for flights. You will still get credit for Aeroplan miles when providing # on AMEX site or when you check-in.
BRAISKI likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> Car Rental - I always use Avis but I have a AWD/Wizard code from my work which is much cheaper than AMEX

You can't book through AMEX using the same AWD/Wizard code, by calling in?

>> there is no other way to get "reimburse" with the $200, unless its via AMEX Travel. Am I missing something?

As mentioned in the other thread on AC, you must book something through AMEX. The booking can be modified / cancelled subject to booking policy.

>> I have a top level status with IHG and usually prefer to book via their website, unless I can use AMEX Travel to book and get all the points and benefits of my status?

FHR bookings get all the points and status benefits.
BRAISKI likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canesfan
Just use the credit for flights. You will still get credit for Aeroplan miles when providing # on AMEX site or when you check-in.
Not only that, Amex Travel can apply any AC discount codes you may have!
bcrdukes likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:23 pm

Amex Platinum $200 Credit

I got this card with an annual fee of $699 to use for my business in 2019 on but with the pandemic, my plans changed. I've paid $2097 in fees for 3 years with minimal benefits. I want to book a flight now and they are all under $200 or over $400. Amex travel website does not let me pick any seats or upgrade my baggage to make the total price above $200.

Is there anyway I can claim my credit for a flight that costs $197?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Which airline?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
Which airline?
Westjet or Air Canada.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:48 pm

This is for the airline incidental credit? If it's an American Plat, you can only apply for US airlines only, which you have to pre-select annually. And it's only apply to additional incidental fees and not the base fare itself.

After selection, it will reimburse you up until the annual $200 sum is reached.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:51 pm

Sorry, this is for the Canadian AMEX Plat. We get a $200 annual travel credit if we book through AMEX travel.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Book a prepaid cancellable hotel room via AMEX Travel web site. The charge and $200 credit will post after a few days, then cancel the booking to get that refunded, so you will be $200 ahead on that statement. Just spend $200 on whatever to use up the credit...

AMEX explicitly says you only get the credit once per year, and if you cancel the underlying booking, you will not get the credit back to use it again
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Book a prepaid cancellable hotel room via AMEX Travel web site. The charge and $200 credit will post after a few days, then cancel the booking to get that refunded, so you will be $200 ahead on that statement. Just spend $200 on whatever to use up the credit...

AMEX explicitly says you only get the credit once per year, and if you cancel the underlying booking, you will not get the credit back to use it again
Do I call Amex to cancel or the hotel directly?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:16 am

I've booked a hotel that shows up in the hotel chain website and cancelled from there, but I would assume you can contact hotel directly.

read the cancellation policy carefully before you make the booking. typically you need to book far enough into the future to make sure you meet the advance notice, make sure there is no cancellation penalty, etc
Old Sep 8, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
How to use Amex Platinum (CA) annual travel credit

I have a couple of years of annual travel credit and I plan on cancelling my Amex card in about 8 weeks....no travel plans in the immeditae future...what would be the best /flexible way to "spend" this money and be able to use it later???

thanks in advance for suggestions
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk. I have moved your question into an existing discussion. Scroll back to read previous ideas.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by paulincanada
I have a couple of years of annual travel credit
you do know that the credit expires each year and doesn't carry forward, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.