Assistance regarding NYC-Seoul utilizing MR points

Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Assistance regarding NYC-Seoul utilizing MR points

Hey all,

I tried finding if there was a megathread, but didn't see any so I made a new thread.

It's been a few years since I last travelled and I'm really looking forward to booking a trip from NYC to Seoul for the end of the year.
I currently have 400K MR that I can utilize, and I'd love to book a premium (business or equivalent) product on Korean Air. However, from what I see, MR is not the perfect candidate to transfer to Korean Air so I'd like some assistance on how I can transfer and book.
I did take a look at Delta and noticed that they offer a Delta One product, however, the lowest priced award flight is 410K miles. That seems like a very steep number of miles to book an award flight.
I also took a look at ANA and noticed that their award flights are waitlisted (as expected), so that seems undoable.

So my question is, is a reasonably priced business/first class award product viable here, preferably with a lie-flat seat?

MR: 400K
Travel dates: Around end of November/start of December -> mid-December (November 30th -> December 18th)

Thank you in advance for the help and information.

Last edited by risenmyth; Aug 30, 2022 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Been in a similar boat - also NYC based and Korean American so travel quite frequently to US-ICN.
  • Delta: There is Partner availability for KE at one way from JFK-ICN on Business at 115K but its EXTREMELY RARE. If I redeem Skymiles I will go via D1 via ATL/DTW/MSP just because redemption flights give me MQM but I would always pick KE>DL
  • Asiana: Before the merger there is still availability from JFK-ICN via Asiana through S* partners Air Canada/Singapore Airlines for which I found one way on Aeroplan to be around 85K
  • AA: AA has 1 daily ICN bound flight out of DFW and this could be a possibility via BA Avios as well or via Ethiad Program
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
  • Delta: There is Partner availability for KE at one way from JFK-ICN on Business at 115K but its EXTREMELY RARE
When you mention business, is this searching via their D1, First Class, or Premium Select product? The nomenclature for Delta's products makes it difficult to match 1-to-1 with other airlines.
How would you go about searching for it? Through KE or through Delta?

• Asiana: Before the merger there is still availability from JFK-ICN via Asiana through S* partners Air Canada/Singapore Airlines for which I found one way on Aeroplan to be around 85K
Is this also a rare booking opportunity via Aeroplan?

Thank you for mentioning the different options, but it does seem difficult to book on such short notice.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta international D1 is business class -->https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...business-class
Delta Premium select = premium economy-->https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...remium-economy
https://scottscheapflights.com/guide...ta-first-class
{Should be called D2 & D3 [1 = first, 2 = business, 3 = premium economy, 4 = economy/coach)}

What ffp's do you have ff miles with now? Status?

Amex MR
Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? Closed
Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? Jan 2022

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 30, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Delta international D1 is business class -->https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...business-class
Delta Premium select = premium economy-->https://www.delta.com/us/en/onboard/...remium-economy
https://scottscheapflights.com/guide...ta-first-class
{Should be called D2 & D3 [1 = first, 2 = business, 3 = premium economy, 4 = economy/coach)}

What ffp's do you have ff miles with now? Status?

Amex MR
Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? Closed
Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? Jan 2022
[/i]

Thank you for the clarification on the different types of products. That makes a lot more sense now.

I actually currently have:
1. United Airlines miles: 102K
2. Virgin Atlantic: travel voucher valued at approximately 120K points (from a failed ANA First Class flight redemption due to COVID)

I do not have any major statuses with any FFPs.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by risenmyth

Thank you for the clarification on the different types of products. That makes a lot more sense now.

I actually currently have:
1. United Airlines miles: 102K
2. Virgin Atlantic: travel voucher valued at approximately 120K points (from a failed ANA First Class flight redemption due to COVID)

I do not have any major statuses with any FFPs.
Currently UA that allows JFK - ICN is around 80-88K via UA miles.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Currently UA that allows JFK - ICN is around 80-88K via UA miles.
I did see this flight, however, the options are via Ethiopian Airlines and the total flight duration is approx. 28 hours.
That looks like quite a exhausting trip.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:48 pm

I did see this flight, however, the options are via Ethiopian Airlines and the total flight duration is approx. 28 hours.
That looks like quite a exhausting trip.
OZ doesn't release JFK-ICN that regularly so try to book it ASAP
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

OZ doesn't release JFK-ICN that regularly so try to book it ASAP
Hmm, I haven't been able to find any OZ business award flights via the UA portal at all. Only Ethiopian Airlines for 88K miles.
The only OZ award flights that are offered are economy seats.

I see the OZ flights that you mentioned, although it's mix cabin.
It also seems like the flights are sometimes appearing and disappearing.

Last edited by risenmyth; Sep 1, 2022 at 5:27 pm
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:15 pm

Hmm, I haven't been able to find any OZ business award flights via the UA portal at all. Only Ethiopian Airlines for 88K miles.
The only OZ award flights that are offered are economy seats.

I see the OZ flights that you mentioned, although it's mix cabin.
It also seems like the flights are sometimes appearing and disappearing.
I would book OZ flight ASAP - you will either find JFK-ICN direct in J (only 1-2 seat per date) or JFK - HND - GMP for which HND - GMP leg being in OZ
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I would book OZ flight ASAP - you will either find JFK-ICN direct in J (only 1-2 seat per date) or JFK - HND - GMP for which HND - GMP leg being in OZ
I actually do not see the OZ JFK-ICN direct in J at all.
I'm only seeing JFK/EWR-LAX-ICN (11-13 hr layover) where JFK/EWR-LAX is economy & LAX-ICN is J for 88K miles. This option is disappearing in and out, not appearing often.

Would that happen to be a flights offered to higher FFP status members only?

My search on the United portal is as follows:
One-way
Dates: Anytime between Dec 1 - Dec 19
Departure airport: NYC (any)
Arrival airport: Seoul (any)
Money or miles: Miles
Time of day: Anytime
Show flights from: All airlines

Not showing any decent results at this specific time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.