Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unreliable Platinum credit posting: Ignore, Complain, Downgrade, Cancel?

Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Originally Posted by jags86
<snip> Practically every month I have to chase down a credit I canít wait to be rid of these Platinum cards.
Or... and I'm just spit balling here... maybe just don't utilize the Walmart+ offer if its more hassle that its worth?

Crazy talk, I know...

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by scubadu
Or... and I'm just spit balling here... maybe just don't utilize the Walmart+ offer if its more hassle that its worth?

Crazy talk, I know...

Regards
Not just Walmart, but also entertainment credits.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Crazy talk, I know...
Or Amex could fix their computer algorithms. Just spit balling, you know.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If you normally wouldn't subscribe to a service like Peacock, Disney+, etc., then why would you do so just because someone else is footing the bill?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Oh, I totally agree with that. But that said, when someone says, "I can’t wait to be rid of these Platinum cards" the first thought that pops into my mind is, you can't possibly be holding the Amex Platinum card for the Walmart+ membership. If a credit is too difficult or not worth the hassle then don't chase it, pure and simple. This incessant FT obsession with maximizing every single penny of potential benefits has gotten a bit ridiculous...

And you are welcome to sarcastically draft off my comment on spit balling, but as easy as that was to roll off your tongue, obviously Amex has not done it, full stop. And this hasn't been going on for a month or two, this has plagued the benefit almost since its inception. So, if wishes were ponies...

Your proposed solution requires Amex to take action, which to date, they seem to have epically failed at. On the other hand, my proposal actually works and you actually have control over it.

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Statman
If you normally wouldn't subscribe to a service like Peacock, Disney+, etc., then why would you do so just because someone else is footing the bill?
Not sure how you concluded anything about my subscriptions …

But generally speaking, if a product or service isn’t worth the list price to me, that doesn't mean that I wouldn’t be interested in it at a discount or or if it was free. Since we are in the W+ thread, I would not subscribe to it if I had to pay list price. I am just not a big Walmart shopper. But since it is “free” (paid for by the AF I chose to pay to Amex), I signed to have it available ifI happen to find something I want on Walmart.com. I think I have used the W+ benefit exactly once since then. Now, to get this back on topic, why should I not expect that Amex to be able to process the charges correctly?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

<snip>Now, to get this back on topic, why should I not expect that Amex to be able to process the charges correctly?
You are of course welcome to "expect" whatever you'd like. What you seem to be neglecting though is that contrary to your expectations, they haven't actually done it.

Furthermore, you basically just said, you don't really value this offering and wouldn't pay out of pocket for it and have not much utilized it. If that is the case, why go through the pain of chasing the credit and having to follow-up on it? Why not just wait until the dust settles and they eventually get it fixed (which I assume they will, at some point)? TBH, my wife would probably sign up for this, but I've told here what I've learned in this thread and she basically said, "No rush, tell me if they get it working. Not worth the hassle unless it works correctly"

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
There are tons of things I wouldnít do if I had to pay for that Iíd happily do if someone else were footing the bill.
ExtrAAordinaire likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

There are tons of things I wouldnít do if I had to pay for that Iíd happily do if someone else were footing the bill.
Umm... you do realize, that at least in this case, YOU are "footing the bill" right?

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:21 pm

Umm... you do realize, that at least in this case, YOU are "footing the bill" right?

Regards
Now you know why Iím pissed off chasing credits Iíve already paid for.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Now you know why Iím pissed off chasing credits Iíve already paid for.
Your logic is becoming a bit circular at this point...

Anyhow, good luck and enjoy being a Walmart shopper

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Furthermore, you basically just said, you don't really value this offering and wouldn't pay out of pocket for it and have not much utilized it. If that is the case, why go through the pain of chasing the credit and having to follow-up on it? Why not just wait until the dust settles and they eventually get it fixed (which I assume they will, at some point)?
Where did you get the impression that *I* am chasing after any credits?

My Walmart and digital credits have posted correctly every month this year. I did have to chase after mobile credits during the Covid promos. So I can empathize with those who today have the problems with Walmart or digital credits. Hence my spitballing comment that Amex could fix their software when you suggested that those affected by the bugs should forgo their credits.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Where did you get the impression that *I* am chasing after any credits?
Given you chose to insert yourself into this particular line of discussion and the tone of your statement, I made an assumption that was incorrect. My sincere apologies for misunderstanding.

<snip>Hence my spitballing comment that Amex could fix their software when you suggested that those affected by the bugs should forgo their credits.
Conversely, you also misunderstood. I didn't say anyone should "forgo their credits." But I am saying, when the system:
  • Clearly is not working and...
  • It has not been working for quite sometime (not just for a couple weeks or a month or two) and...
  • It's clearly documented to not be working through the experience of others, in writing, and...
Yet one keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. One option, crazy as it seems to sound to some FTers, is to stop repeatably banging ones head against the wall. Sometimes when the banging stops the pain actually begins to subside. Particularly when it's a "benefit" that one says;
  • They don't highly value...
  • Rarely actually use...
  • Wouldn't pay for if it wasn't "free" and...
  • Say, and I quote, "I canít wait to be rid of these Platinum cards" which pretty clearly implies one likely doesn't value the "free" service much if they are planning to ditch the card that pays for it as soon as possible.
Do you honestly disagree with that conclusion or are you just interested in arguing?

Of course, the other option is to complain endlessly about it on an anonymous internet forum and believe that will fix it.

The choice is, of course, a personal one...

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:54 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have broken off a dozen posts to form a new thread.

....when someone says, "I can’t wait to be rid of these Platinum cards" the first thought that pops into my mind is, you can't possibly be holding the Amex Platinum card for the Walmart+ membership....
Please don't post the first thing that pops into your mind. This reaction seems to be based on a misunderstanding of what jags86 wrote in post 219 of the Walmart+ thread. They clarified in THIS post that the problem with credits is broader than Walmart+. I don't see that you have even acknowledged their reply to your initial post.

We can have a discussion about the appropriate response to unreliable posting of account credits, but it must be constructive. It cannot be conducted as an Inquisition in which one member demands to know why another member has made a choice. Explain what you have done, and why, but do not criticize or ridicule others for their choices. If you do not have something HELPFUL to add to the discussion, please do not post. Please purge all sarcasm before posting. It is seldom effective and frequently leads to misunderstandings.

Last edited by mia; Aug 18, 2022 at 6:15 am
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:26 pm

How widespread is the delay in crediting? Just to add a single point of anecdata, outside of delays with the Paypal credit last year I don't think I've had my credits with Peacock, Audible, and now Hulu be delayed longer than 3 weeks at the most.

The entertainment credit, in particular, has a cumulative year-to-date total which works well for verifying that things are being credited as expected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.