Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Canada question re Gold card travel credit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Amex Canada question re Gold card travel credit

Does anyone have experience using the new travel credit benefit with Membership Rewards? Called Amex but CSR not especially knowledgable and the wording on the info sheet not that clear.

Questions:
1. Iif I book directly with the airline (rather than Amex travel service), do I still get the credit? Perhaps after the fact?

2. Is there a travel agent fee for using the travel service as there would be with a regular travel agent? I used to use Amex travel when they had a bricks and mortar place. They began charging $50 to issue a tx and closed the storefront. Easier to deal direct with the airline.

3. Does the supplementary cardmember also get the travel credit also or just one per “account”?

4. Does each card on an account get the Nexus renewal credit?

Any hints/tips/ideas re them new benefits would be most appreciated.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do you mean this credit? https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...el-credit.html

The $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit can only be redeemed at time of booking through American Express Travel Online at americanexpress.ca/travel or by calling Platinum Card Travel Service.
This rules out using the credit for a direct purchase from an airline.

The terms specify that only the Basic Cardmember is eligible. That's American Expresspeak for the primary cardholder. Additional cards on the same account are not eligible.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean this credit? https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...el-credit.html

This rules out using the credit for a direct purchase from an airline.

The terms specify that only the Basic Cardmember is eligible. That's American Expresspeak for the primary cardholder. Additional cards on the same account are not eligible.
i meant the Gold/Rose (updated benefits from last fall) card in Canada. Assume it likely operates in the same way as platinum but don’t know for sure. CSR said something about “claiming” it after the flight regardless of how booked but I didn’t trust the info. Hence wondering about others’ experience.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:44 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Bartolo
i meant the Gold/Rose ...
Here are the terms:

$100 CAD Annual Travel Credit - The $100 CAD Annual Travel Credit can only be redeemed at time of booking through American Express Travel Online at americanexpress.ca/travel. Travel booking must be charged to your American Express® Gold Rewards Card. Account must be in good standing. If you choose to use the Annual Travel Credit, it will be credited to your Card account within 2 business days. Basic Cardmember is entitled to one (1) Annual Travel Credit each year based on Card membership anniversary date, towards a single travel booking of $100 or more, and will appear on your billing statement as “$100 Annual Travel Credit”. Unused Annual Travel Credits expire and can not be used in future years. If you cancel your travel booking after redeeming the Annual Travel Credit, you will not be able to use it again in the same year. You can only use one Travel Credit per booking.
Source: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...-rewards-card/
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks. Definitely not what agent said, hence my question here. I was not confident in her response for a number of reasons.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Amex Canada Membership Rewards Program Question

What experiences have card holders had with the new travel benefit for Gold card members ($100/yr)? Using the Amex travel team seems to increase the cost of a booking significantly, for hotels anyway.

How have others used it?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:47 pm
mia

.....Using the Amex travel team....
Are you booking online at americanexpress.ca/travel ?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Are you booking online at americanexpress.ca/travel ?
For research purposes, yes. Does it make a difference to call in? In one instance the site quoted more than $300/nte for same room (a Hilton).
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If you make a booking with the $100CAD booking and cancel it afterwards, do you get to keep the $100 or do they make the refund less the $100 credit amount? For NEXUS, can you change to it if currently holding Global Entry?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by msp3
If you make a booking with the $100CAD booking and cancel it afterwards, do you get to keep the $100 or do they make the refund less the $100 credit amount? For NEXUS, can you change to it if currently holding Global Entry?
Make a fully prepaid cancellable booking greater than $100. Full price is charged to card. $100 credit shows up. Cancel booking. Full price is credited to card. Net effect of $100 credit remains on card

Same as Platinum with $200 credit...
msp3 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Make a fully prepaid cancellable booking greater than $100. Full price is charged to card. $100 credit shows up. Cancel booking. Full price is credited to card. Net effect of $100 credit remains on card

I want to do something similar (Canadian Amex gold card). I would be prepared to use Amex to get a hotel or car booking but every time I’ve tried the pricing is significantly more than doing it directly. In one case triple. Rack rates, I assume.

i saw various car rental options but could not see how to do a pre-paid cancellable rate. It did not seem to be offered as an option. Do I have to call in for this?

I’m also confused. In other posts about using the credit, I thought some indicated the credit was clawed back in such scenarios.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYJMSP

I now see a post in another thread where the poster indicates the credit was clawed back. Someone else intbe same thread says they got to keep it despite cancelling their booking. Hence the confusion on my part.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
I now see a post in another thread where the poster indicates the credit was clawed back. Someone else intbe same thread says they got to keep it despite cancelling their booking. Hence the confusion on my part.
Never had a problem with my Platinum card, and now the Gold card since they upped the annual fee and added the travel credit.

Did the person who got the clawback cancel their card after getting the credit? I would assume if you use the 2024 credit, you need to have paid the 2024 annual fee and keep the card for 2024. Otherwise you are double dipping and I can see AMEX going after the credit to get the balance of their annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.