Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion cancelled by Amex after 15 years

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Should we be worried? As luck would have it, we didn't really think through who would get the Aspire, and who would get the Surpass. Since the Surpass has the bonus on supermarkets, I use it all the time, even though it's my husband's card and I'm the AU. And conversely, I got the Aspire with the higher restaurant bonus, and he picks up all the restaurant checks even though he's the AU. I don't think Amex would really care, but now a thread like this has me wondering. And of course we are charging up a fraction, a minute fraction, of what this OP has been doing.
I doubt you'll have any issues provided that you are paying from a joint account.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mia
Have any payments to American Express been made from other than your own personal bank accounts?

Are you the owner of, or employed by, a company engaged in a business that is legal in some jurisdictions, but not in others?

I wouldn't take this approach, until after consulting with an attorney and concluding that it is worth the time and expense. Once you mention this possibility to a large company it is likely the file will be forwarded to their legal department, and the character of the discussion becomes adversarial.
Point taken. My idea was that such a letter was a last-ditch resort before going to an attorney anyhow. Maybe turning it over to legal would get it closer scrutiny.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
I doubt you'll have any issues provided that you are paying from a joint account.
I figured that, and I'm wondering if spousal AU's are of a different standard than others.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I figured that, and I'm wondering if spousal AU's are of a different standard than others.
I expect that concern is reduced if the additional cardholder alsohas their own American Express card accounts.
LETTERBOY, 36902BRF and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
If I had to guess, the most problematic point would be consistent large payments from the supplementary cardholder's bank account. Since I never had any AUs -- I am kind of surprised they allow transfers from anyone apart from the principal cardholder.

Since the primary account holder will be liable for all charges and AU has been paying instead. There is little record of the main account holder's ability to pay. The AU can decide to put a bunch of charges on the card and then disappear without a trace. Amex (or any other lenders) may see this as a high risk.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by NotSoMuch
The AU can decide to put a bunch of charges on the card and then disappear without a trace. Amex (or any other lenders) may see this as a high risk.
I agree that that might be a concern they could have. But that’s not what they cited as a reason for the closure, unless there are some regulatory guidelines about who can pay from what account for a credit card balance.

"We are writing to inform you that after a recent review of yourAmerican Express® account(s)referenced above, we have cancelled the account(s) based on adherence to regulatory guidelines."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I agree that that might be a concern they could have. But that’s not what they cited as a reason for the closure, unless there are some regulatory guidelines about who can pay from what account for a credit card balance.

"We are writing to inform you that after a recent review of yourAmerican Express® account(s)referenced above, we have cancelled the account(s) based on adherence to regulatory guidelines."
Can't Amex have their own internal "regulatory guidelines"...does it have to Federal or government?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hi-guy
By chance did you have a "heated" conversation with customer service? If they determined that you abused them orally, I've heard of accounts being closed for that reason.
Shouldn't it be "verbally"? Oral abuse conjures up a completely different visual.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
/
Originally Posted by david55
Can't Amex have their own internal "regulatory guidelines"...does it have to Federal or government?
"Regulatory" strongly implies externally supplied guidelines in my view.... i.e. by the official "Regulator" in a country. But again, "guidelines" is the key word here. Regulators may provide "guidelines" which are inherently subject to interpretation and therefore potentially differing enforcement processes and practices by different banks/card issuers.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Shouldn't it be "verbally"? Oral abuse conjures up a completely different visual.
Albeit, difficult - though not impossible - over the phone perhaps.

Anyho...moving swiftly on....

[this made me nearly spit my wine, btw]
LETTERBOY, pmblinn and badAmex like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by NotSoMuch
If I had to guess, the most problematic point would be consistent large payments from the supplementary cardholder's bank account. Since I never had any AUs -- I am kind of surprised they allow transfers from anyone apart from the principal cardholder.

Since the primary account holder will be liable for all charges and AU has been paying instead. There is little record of the main account holder's ability to pay. The AU can decide to put a bunch of charges on the card and then disappear without a trace. Amex (or any other lenders) may see this as a high risk.
Makes sense. But if this is what happened, why seize the points and not refund at least the pro-rated annual fee? It's not like fraud was committed. It's just a risk factor got flagged.

(FWIW, I know someone whose cards were canceled last year, but points were not seized. In fact, she was given 30 days to transfer them out).
flyme2, LETTERBOY and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:33 pm

Silly question, but how does one settle a Centurion statement? I don't think I have ever seen FedWire instructions for AMEX and most other banks, although I know a few have it. Consumer ACH is risk to AMEX because of possible chargebacks or insufficient funds. These banks normally advance the line as soon as the ACH is initiated, but they really do not have finally settled funds for days or maybe weeks. If your AU was paying via ACH in $100k+ amounts from an unusual financial institution, the risk profile may have been too high for them. Stuff like this is hard for banks to communicate to a customer, so they just drop the account.

A few years ago, I had a courtesy call from Schwab that was along the lines of "If you value your relationship with Schwab, pull back on receiving ACHs and then immediately using the money to pay credit cards. That is all I am really authorized to say." The incoming ACH payments were for hundreds of thousands at the time. He admitted that if I switched to receiving wires, they might be more comfortable.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by gmangg
Silly question, but how does one settle a Centurion statement? I don't think I have ever seen FedWire instructions for AMEX and most other banks, although I know a few have it. Consumer ACH is risk to AMEX because of possible chargebacks or insufficient funds. These banks normally advance the line as soon as the ACH is initiated, but they really do not have finally settled funds for days or maybe weeks. If your AU was paying via ACH in $100k+ amounts from an unusual financial institution, the risk profile may have been too high for them. Stuff like this is hard for banks to communicate to a customer, so they just drop the account.

A few years ago, I had a courtesy call from Schwab that was along the lines of "If you value your relationship with Schwab, pull back on receiving ACHs and then immediately using the money to pay credit cards. That is all I am really authorized to say." The incoming ACH payments were for hundreds of thousands at the time. He admitted that if I switched to receiving wires, they might be more comfortable.
FedWire instructions for Amex are very easy to come by online or by calling customer service. Many people wire in money, particularly to pay or pre-pay large balances. I've done it a few times when I'm anticipating a large purchase on my Plat card charge (which has a very high hard limit) to ensure it goes through without an issue or I want to pay down a very large balance without dealing with them having to verify the funds with my bank. Usually posts to your account within 4 hours of Amex getting the wire.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:21 am

By chance did you have a "heated" conversation with customer service? If they determined that you abused them orally, I've heard of accounts being closed for that reason.
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Verbal refers to spoken as well as written communication. Oral does not include the written form of communication. I specifically meant spoken only.
WrightHI likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Verbal refers to spoken as well as written communication. Oral does not include the written form of communication. I specifically meant spoken only.
Perhaps "aural" would be a word to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.