Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rewards when buying Gold Bullion with a UK-issued card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue

I have a UK American Express Everyday Platinum Credit Card (mouthful!). Since I have had it for over a year, it gives 0.5% cashback.

I was looking to buy some gold bullion with my Amex, to get cashback, however... I know metals and coins can be treated as cash advance. I looked into Amex's terms and conditions, and I can't find a definition of what is a cash advance, nor can I find anything about what is eligible and not eligible for cashback... The only thing I could find that was not eligible was "warehouses - e.g. Costco", which is strange, because they used to be partners with Costco until a couple of years ago - I guess it was an acrimonious split.

Does any one know if you can buy gold bullion, and get cashback, with the Everyday Platinum CC? Thank you.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:27 pm

No matter where you buy gold if you use a credit card you are paying more than you need. So no matter what you are overpaying. Just because the price may be the same does not mean anything. It means the seller can afford to pay the merchant fee.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.