Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Bus card offers, same address but different business name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 9:17 am
Original Poster

I continually receive 4-5 amex mailers with sign up bonuses at my residence, but they are addressed to businesses that don't belong to me. It's my address, but the business name is not mine (I also less frequently get correct offers to my address for MY business). Typically I just ignore these, but the other day I received an offer for 250k amex points for signing up for the business platinum card with $30k spend in 6 months. The problem is, it was addressed to one of the other businesses that is not actually mine. When I follow the link, I'm able to edit BOTH the business name and the address in the application form. My question is: has anyone ever seen this and tried to sign up using a different business name, but the same address? Does anyone think this would be risking a shut down for taking an offer not meant for me? I can't find much information about people doing this except some vague information about business mailers being less strict, but that was a post from many many years ago. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old May 13, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by zack7373
I continually receive 4-5 amex mailers with sign up bonuses at my residence, but they are addressed to businesses that don't belong to me. It's my address, but the business name is not mine (I also less frequently get correct offers to my address for MY business). Typically I just ignore these, but the other day I received an offer for 250k amex points for signing up for the business platinum card with $30k spend in 6 months. The problem is, it was addressed to one of the other businesses that is not actually mine. When I follow the link, I'm able to edit BOTH the business name and the address in the application form. My question is: has anyone ever seen this and tried to sign up using a different business name, but the same address? Does anyone think this would be risking a shut down for taking an offer not meant for me? I can't find much information about people doing this except some vague information about business mailers being less strict, but that was a post from many many years ago. Any thoughts are appreciated!
I haven't received such a 250k mailer (although I wish I did!) but for the 150k mailers with NLL I did sign up and change the business name and use that EIN. The business I got it under was mine as well but I needed a card for a different business. To me it's not an issue, they don't know if the business on the mailer is yours or not. As long as there's NLL and you're following the other rules and terms and there's no abuse (i.e. opening a biz plat every month using an NLL mailer) I don't see grounds for shut down.

Mailers sent to individuals are much stricter.

This is just what I think and in no way constitutes legal advice .
SPN Lifer and zack7373 like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just received the mailer for the biz plat 250K SUB - what a bummer, last month I applied for the biz card with 160K SUB and I have lots of expenses coming up and could have easily reached the $30K spend minimum.

I went on line to the designated website and entered the RSVP code - the application pre-populated with my name and address - I did not complete the application, however, it appears that I was able to change the business name with no problems.

When I applied to the biz card, also in response to a mailer received, I corrected some of the pre-populated information and it did not affect my approval of the card (immediate) or the earning of the SUB. YMMV
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Are we able to use NLL Amex Mailer offers if they are sent to our address but not our name?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by happyvoid
Are we able to use NLL Amex Mailer offers if they are sent to our address but not our name?
They're usually sent to a business name, not to your personal name so there isn't really an issue to use it. You can even change the company name while applying if you need to.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by friedablass
They're usually sent to a business name, not to your personal name so there isn't really an issue to use it. You can even change the company name while applying if you need to.
Oh I see. So the key thing when using the NLL mailers is to make sure you are using the same address, the name can be modified but address should not.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:53 pm
Suspended

I would think what’s on the application is what’s important, not which link got you to it.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by zack7373
wow! 250k is great offer, I havnt seen that since last year, the max offer ive seen cross the internet is 150k or 170k. I was once got the 170k by mail, but the busniess name is not my corp, (back then I have my other corp under the same address, and I dont want to risk it, so instead, I called Amex saying I receive this offer but they have the wrong address, and the agent over there saids is ok for me to edit on my end and they said they will make a note on their end to make sure the application is not flag or sth, my initial reaction is that, there's a risk but I dont think is that much, I dont want my suggestions put you on risk of abusing those offers, so I think if you are concern, is always good to check with them. but at least for me, I have two amex plat business under my corp's name (two diff corp) and one gold for personal, no problem so far. hope it helps!
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by nono13132431
wow! 250k is great offer, I havnt seen that since last year
Note that the post to which you replied is from last year, May 2022.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:15 pm

Data Point : Last year I received several 250,000 bonus point offers for Plat Biz Amex sent to my address to other entities I own and just changed the biz name after using the offer code online. I received the bonus 250,000 bonus points after making the qualified spend and had no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.