Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK BA AMEX card cancelled because of too many disputes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK BA AMEX card cancelled because of too many disputes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Kacee
It seems well above the norm to me as well. I only have one or two across all my cards over the past twenty-plus years.

Such a high level of chargebacks may indicate either (i) a propensity for risky transactions, or (ii) a high maintenance (and unprofitable) cardmember. In either case, cancelation would seem to be a reasonable business decision.
I think even leaving aside the absolute number of chargebacks, the OP discussed chargebacks for 1k and 2k against 20k in spend this year. If I were a card issuer, I'd be very concerned about someone charging back 15% or more of their total annual purchases.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:38 pm

Giving OP the benefit of the doubt, the 31 dispute figure is apparently inflated by an internal duplication error (although how OP knows this is beyond me).

As others have noted, even a fraction of that figure remains significant. OP hasn't fessed up to an actual number but apparently it is so large that he cannot remember. It is always a little suspicious when complaint posts like these leave out what may be unfavorable details. Obviously the ability to initiate a chargeback is an important consumer protection but if OP has initiated numerous unsuccessful chargebacks then it is clear that he is an unprofitable account at worst and a significant fraud risk at wort.

kklems advice is sound but I would be prepared to also defend the true number of chargebacks, whatever that may be and especially those where amex ruled in favor of the merchant.

Last edited by imnotalawyer; Mar 10, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It seems well above the norm to me as well. I only have one or two across all my cards over the past twenty-plus years.

Such a high level of chargebacks may indicate either (i) a propensity for risky transactions, or (ii) a high maintenance (and unprofitable) cardmember. In either case, cancelation would seem to be a reasonable business decision.
completely agree with this.

i am by no means a large spender, and don’t spend that amount across all my cards a month. Also don’t know how one would specifically define a lot of disputes. But I’ve been using cards for 25 years, and I’m pretty sure I can count the number of disputes I’ve had on one hand. I think paragraph 2 probably sums up what Amex likely sees in the OP. Or OP is basically the most unlucky person in the world with respect to CCs.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:35 pm

I too, am a big spender. I filled up my gas tank today.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by so152so14
Hey - go easy on the guy. I'm sure there is plenty of people who would think putting 20k/year on a card is big spend. Easy mistake to make.
I was kind of shocked at how you all jumped down the OP throat over his claim he was a "big spender." There is no $et number. I spend about 20K on my card every year and to me that is a lot for us. I maybe put one dispute a year on my card...but normally the vendor makes good and the dispute is cancelled. I have been with Amex since 1982....so I claim longevity over spending. That said I certainly will be a bit cautious about my disputes going forward.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Anon007
If you have absolutely nothing to add apart from your trolling fixation on whether I am a big shot or not, do not comment on this thread.

If you can't handle criticism, you shouldn't post on a public forum.
Statman, LETTERBOY and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread is closed because discussion has been derailed by unhelpful posts about Anon007's big spender self characterization. If anyone has experience with an account closed due to a high number of disputes, click the triangular Alert icon in the lower left corner of this post, and I will reopen the thread. Note that this is a UK-issued card, and UK experiences would be more relevant than USA or other markets. While $20,000/year would be unremarkable for USA cardholders, American Express acceptance in the UK is far from universal.

See here a similar incident from USA: HELP! Amex Closed All My Accounts

Last edited by mia; Mar 10, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.