Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:36 pm

So since this is still grab and go and with Amex card, if I am flying United with an hour and half layover, should I go to a United Club or one of the international lounges Amex Platinum cardholders have access to?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spier072
So since this is still grab and go and with Amex card, if I am flying United with an hour and half layover, should I go to a United Club or one of the international lounges Amex Platinum cardholders have access to?
The only lounges you can access with Amex Plat are in A Terminal, which is not connected airside to UA gates. If you have Pre/Clear, it may be worth it nonetheless for VS or BA lounge (not AF/KLM), depending on time of day. United rotunda club (F concourse) is a nice enough space but a decidedly mediocre lounge. The other two UCs (E and G) suck.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spier072

​​​​​​​The UC in SFO aren't great. Honestly if I had that long to kill in SFO I would grab and go centurion and then walk over to the D or C gates and find an empty gate area and chill out.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Anybody stopped by & asked for an update on reopening? TIA
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
SFO Grab & Go

Contents of the SFO Centurion Lounge Grab & Go.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: HH, *G
Originally Posted by sfo_chris
The UC in SFO aren't great. Honestly if I had that long to kill in SFO I would grab and go centurion and then walk over to the D or C gates and find an empty gate area and chill out.
There's a nice outdoor area at the end of G pier, which is connected airside. (And from E/F I usually walk to G, exit G then cross the international lobby to get to the A gates if I want to use the VS lounge - which is a nice space.)

Also seeing coffee and a water included in the to go boxes isn't so bad.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mball
There's a nice outdoor area at the end of G pier, which is connected airside. (And from E/F I usually walk to G, exit G then cross the international lobby to get to the A gates if I want to use the VS lounge - which is a nice space.)

Also seeing coffee and a water included in the to go boxes isn't so bad.
The G gate terrace is nice but it can be damn cold out there. Usually if I have time to kill in the airport I want to get steps in, so when I get delayed at SFO I will sometimes walk all the way from the C gates to the G gates and grab some food along the way.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I will try to post photos, but I think there was zero selection. I arrived at 5 minutes before "closing" and after the normal checkin process I received a paper bag with a sandwich, BBQ chips, a mini-orange, Grandma's cookies, a wetnap and napkin and an aluminum water bottle (no plastic per SFO requirements).

I know I will be in the minority here but I see this as a vast improvement to the now-closed lounge as there was no waitlist, no queue, and prepackaged food that I could bring onto the airplane. Of course, if you want free booze you'll have to find another lounge or dining establishment...
I thought I'd see this as a positive, though not an improvement as I've only had to waitlist to enter once, and have always found a seat despite the overcrowding. However, having tried the various sandwich options over the last few weeks they're all inedible tripe and on my last trip I just asked for the water bottle and the orange (which they gave me without hesitation, from which I inferred that I wasn't the first to do something like that). UA inflight meals are actually better than what Amex is handing out, and that's a pretty bad sign in my book.

There is a choice of two sandwiches btw - and I've seen I believe 4 different ones in total over my recent trips.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
However, having tried the various sandwich options over the last few weeks they're all inedible tripe
Looks pretty similar to the sandwiches in the UC (and that is not a compliment!).

I've no interest in AMEX grab'n'go. I'll go to AS lounge, VS or BA in A, or simply pay for food in the terminal.
cricketer and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
The picture above has a much nicer bun than the one I received. Mine looked more like Wonder Bread.

On the other hand, if you're a centurion card holder, they give you a $25 Amex gift card to get food elsewhere.

I'm stopping by every time I pass through. I'm going to pay the annual fee one way or another. Only 198 more gift cards to go!
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:17 pm

DP 11\9\2022 - with Amex lounge only donning grab and go I briefly tried the priority pass options.
  • First choice was virgin, but posted hours on the screen before the elevator was 14:00-22:00. Did I goof this? Was it open to Amex customers at this time?
  • At 10:30am, I was turned away from the AF/KLM lounge due to “expected passengers”. I’d say the lounge was only 75% full? I could have pleaded and said I’d only be there for 30min :shrug:
  • Went to the BA lounge only a short walk away. No greeter at checkin, took the elevator down an found someone doing more than greeting to checkin. No issues. Props to the lady checkin and other lounge tasks. Selection was: pastries, bagels, oatmeal, non-veggie sandwiches. Alcoholic drinks were self serve and readily available. There were also coffee machines, sodas and fresh juices.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:58 am

Stopped by for the bag Thursday night. Easy enough even without high expectations (or meh expectations). Sandwich was fine. No coffee can but it was 5pm. PP at Giants club worked out as it wasn’t crowded at all.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Anyone heard of a rough re-opening date for the SFO lounge? I've been using the Virgin Atlantic lounge in the A gate space since the lounge closed for work but it is a bit of a trek.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The only lounges you can access with Amex Plat are in A Terminal, which is not connected airside to UA gates. If you have Pre/Clear, it may be worth it nonetheless for VS or BA lounge (not AF/KLM), depending on time of day. United rotunda club (F concourse) is a nice enough space but a decidedly mediocre lounge. The other two UCs (E and G) suck.
On a 90 minute connection? Best case that gives you 60 minutes before boarding starts; hard to see how it could be worth it to exit and go through security twice in an hour to use one of those lounges.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
On a 90 minute connection? Best case that gives you 60 minutes before boarding starts; hard to see how it could be worth it to exit and go through security twice in an hour to use one of those lounges.
I might do it. With Clear and Pre, I'm typically through security in 60-90 seconds. And it's only a five minute walk between A and G.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.