Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
A few weeks ago one of the bartenders told me closing after Labor Day, opening before Thanksgiving. Gutting the kitchen and expanding that direction. The extra room will be welcome but I've no faith this work will be completed within the intended timeline.

Meanwhile the current stated hours (being open to 9PM) do not appear to be correct: https://www.thecenturionlounge.com/locations/sfo/ . I went by a few days ago at 7:15 and they were shut down for the night.
that would the fastest construction job in the history of san francisco if they are able to do in 2.5 months...
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Nothing at the moment, and I doubt we'll see construction start anytime soon. What they have in mind (assuming they still have it in mind) would be a major renovation of the International Terminal. I'd imagine they'd try to time it during low travel times.

ETA: Here's the plan: https://www.flysfo.com/sites/default...Departures.pdf
Note that this is from 2016. It might be a long time before they get to work on this, if ever.
you can already go most of the way... all that's missing is the connector between 2 and harvey milk
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dhuey (Post # 102)
Nothing at the moment, and I doubt we'll see construction start anytime soon. What they have in mind (assuming they still have it in mind) would be a major renovation of the International Terminal. I'd imagine they'd try to time it during low travel times.

ETA: Here's the plan: https://www.flysfo.com/sites/default...Departures.pdf
Note that this is from 2016. It might be a long time before they get to work on this, if ever.
Originally Posted by bbmatt (Post # 122)
you can already go most of the way... all that's missing is the connector between 2 and harvey milk
The post to which you responded was addressing a notional A-G direct connection.

As for the A-B-C-D-E-F-G "long way around" connection to which you refer, I do indeed hope that connector can somehow be built before all the construction associated with the "hole in the ground". Time will tell. Or greater insight into the building plans.
lsquare and mildfrequence like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Flying through here next week. I usually fly DL (so have lounge access over there) but for once I'm on UA taking the morning SFO - RDU direct. How busy is the lounge in the morning (SFO - RDU leaves at 930am)? Last time I was there was a number of years ago so I have no idea what it is like these days (either crowds or quality).

Worth showing up early for some Centurion time or don't bother and just show up right before boarding?
not sure if you have flown out yet or not, but my experience is anything after about 7:30am (and pretty much all day) there is going to be some sort of a line. last time I actually entered was in Nov, so before the most recent uptick in travel, so guessing it’s worse now. I’ve tried a couple of other times and didn’t want to wait in the line. Didn’t even bother attempting to check last time I left SFO out of T2 in June - wasnt going to be worth it to do the walk (esp. since kids were with me), likely to have little to no time once I got in (this was a 9am flight). The SFO lounge is way smaller than it should be…it’ll be interesting to see if the expanded lounge will be able to handle the current traffic with little to no waiting.

On the ‘worth it’ side, it depends on preferences, etc. personally, I found breakfast in the lounge mediocre at best - some decent offerings, others not good at all. DEN and SEA are my other comparison points, and had much better food - both options and quality-wise. Staff also couldn’t answer very basic questions about food (for example: is the oatmeal made with milk or water). If you have dietary restrictions, it’s not worth at all, IME. My wife is vegan - and she couldn’t even have coffee since there wasn’t a single alt./dairy free creamer a available. On the other hand, both espresso machines were out of service when I was there, so it was only drip (which is personally not a big issue for me, I like drip, but would have surely been further disappointed if I only drank cappuccino/lattes, etc.). I’d say if priority is free breakfast, then it’s fine. If you want good food, I’d say splurge elsewhere in the terminal (we personally like Kleins deli in T3, and Napa Farms in either G or T2).

just my two cents….
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’d say if priority is free breakfast, then it’s fine. If you want good food, I’d say splurge elsewhere in the terminal (we personally like Kleins deli in T3, and Napa Farms in either G or T2).

just my two cents….
That sums it up well. It's still a good lounge, and better than most legacy airline lounges. But over time the food offerings have gone from great to okay, and crowding has been a frequent problem. If you can afford the Amex Plat, you can probably afford exactly the meal you want at a good restaurant in the terminal.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by emcampbe
not sure if you have flown out yet or not, but my experience is anything after about 7:30am (and pretty much all day) there is going to be some sort of a line. last time I actually entered was in Nov, so before the most recent uptick in travel, so guessing it’s worse now. I’ve tried a couple of other times and didn’t want to wait in the line. Didn’t even bother attempting to check last time I left SFO out of T2 in June - wasnt going to be worth it to do the walk (esp. since kids were with me), likely to have little to no time once I got in (this was a 9am flight). The SFO lounge is way smaller than it should be…it’ll be interesting to see if the expanded lounge will be able to handle the current traffic with little to no waiting.

On the ‘worth it’ side, it depends on preferences, etc. personally, I found breakfast in the lounge mediocre at best - some decent offerings, others not good at all. DEN and SEA are my other comparison points, and had much better food - both options and quality-wise. Staff also couldn’t answer very basic questions about food (for example: is the oatmeal made with milk or water). If you have dietary restrictions, it’s not worth at all, IME. My wife is vegan - and she couldn’t even have coffee since there wasn’t a single alt./dairy free creamer a available. On the other hand, both espresso machines were out of service when I was there, so it was only drip (which is personally not a big issue for me, I like drip, but would have surely been further disappointed if I only drank cappuccino/lattes, etc.). I’d say if priority is free breakfast, then it’s fine. If you want good food, I’d say splurge elsewhere in the terminal (we personally like Kleins deli in T3, and Napa Farms in either G or T2).

just my two cents….
That sums it up well. It's still a good lounge, and better than most legacy airline lounges. But over time the food offerings have gone from great to okay, and crowding has been a frequent problem. If you can afford the Amex Plat, you can probably afford exactly the meal you want at a good restaurant in the terminal.
I might be in the minority, but I absolutely love the food at the Centurion Lounge, and IMO, blows whatever UA offers at SFO out of the water.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by lsquare
I might be in the minority, but I absolutely love the food at the Centurion Lounge, and IMO, blows whatever UA offers at SFO out of the water.
Maybe part of the problem is that I'm comparing the lounge now to when it opened. Food was amazing in those early months.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe part of the problem is that I'm comparing the lounge now to when it opened. Food was amazing in those early months.
I forgot when I first visited the SFO Centurion Lounge, but I don't think the quality of the food has declined. I suspect the lineups and crowding may have colored your and others' views of the lounge. For me the answer is simple, if this lounge is full, you'll find me at Yankee Pier or the SF Giants restaurant. Just don't be so picky because this is light years ahead of what UA has to offer. lol!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO the quality of the food, as well as the variety, has significantly declined since this lounge opened.

The food options are certainly better than the SFO UCs, as the catering in those clubs is absolutely abysmal. I still choose the Rotunda Club over the CL literally 100% of the time, as I've no interest in waiting in line for what I find to be an overall subpar lounge experience. The space is too small, and the crowds and noise are exactly what I hope to escape by going to a lounge vs. staying in the terminal's public areas.

Given a choice between the CL and the E or G Concourse UC, I'll just find a quiet space at an unoccupied gate.
Boraxo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO the quality of the food, as well as the variety, has significantly declined since this lounge opened.

The food options are certainly better than the SFO UCs, as the catering in those clubs is absolutely abysmal. I still choose the Rotunda Club over the CL literally 100% of the time, as I've no interest in waiting in line for what I find to be an overall subpar lounge experience. The space is too small, and the crowds and noise are exactly what I hope to escape by going to a lounge vs. staying in the terminal's public areas.

Given a choice between the CL and the E or G Concourse UC, I'll just find a quiet space at an unoccupied gate.
Just do what I do, which is to eat at the CL, and then relax at the UC Rotunda.
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I like to drink at the CL rather than the rotunda.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I like to drink at the CL rather than the rotunda.
Can't avoid the crowds then. I only drink water and have the occasional brownie at the UC Rotunda. I found a setup that works for me. Just look for me by one of those cubicle-like desks charging all of my gadgets before I board UA1.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's actually a three step process most of the time . . . (1) wait in line for CL, (2) eat at CL, (3) relax at Rotunda. I have a hard time getting past (1)
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:30 pm

I like the food at Centurion Lounge but while it is definitely better than the UA Club lounge, the Polaris lounge definitely has better food.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hanlong
I like the food at Centurion Lounge but while it is definitely better than the UA Club lounge, the Polaris lounge definitely has better food.
I should have been clear that I meant UC only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.