Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)

Originally Posted by zeer0
The shower was also open, I was able to use it without any wait as I don't think most people were aware of it existing.
Asked about the shower suite today and was told it is closed due to omicron.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, not bad, in my view. Should you decide to visit the SFO CL, I encourage you to if you have the time, make a left turn towards Terminal (Concourse) G when you enter the Int'l terminal, and go through security there. If you have TSA Pre or Clear, it should be very quick. Once pass security, veer right where you should see a closed UA Polaris lounge, and head down the escalator; then, follow the walkway and you should see the Amex signage once you exit. You can return the same way and exit from where you came, and then walk all the way down the long hall where you'll find security for Int'l A--again, a relatively quick affair if you have TSA Pre or Clear. If not, ah, you might allow for a little extra time.
Off topic, I really don't understand why the airport has to keep terminal A and G separated. Both terminals are in the same building, just different wings. They could make a walk inside the building.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mama
Off topic, I really don't understand why the airport has to keep terminal A and G separated. Both terminals are in the same building, just different wings. They could make a walk inside the building.
I believe SFO is planning to redesign the International Terminal such that both the A and G Concourses will be connected airside.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Mama
They do connect on the first floor where both funnel into the international baggage claim/customs inspection area. However that isn't useful at all to departing customers.

On the second level they are separated by the massive international checkin area so SFO would have to add a special corridor on the airport side of the terminal post-security (as opposed to the curbside dropoff area) to make this happen. Or perhaps build a wall on that side of the checkin area but that would reduce the area that people use to walk to the security checkpoint.

I doubt it is a high priority as I don't think there are many international-to-international connections as opposed to O/D and international <-> domestic connections.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
They do connect on the first floor where both funnel into the international baggage claim/customs inspection area. However that isn't useful at all to departing customers.
Perhaps Im reading your statement incorrectly, but the international baggage claim/customs inspection area for A and G are not the same. The only sense that they connect is via a hallway but that is public and youd need to re-clear through security to get access to any of the clubs.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Perhaps Im reading your statement incorrectly, but the international baggage claim/customs inspection area for A and G are not the same. The only sense that they connect is via a hallway but that is public and youd need to re-clear through security to get access to any of the clubs.
Correct. The International-A and -G immigration/customs/baggage areas are completely separate as far as the traveling public is concerned. As you say, after you've cleared immigration and customs, it's a very short walk to the exit from the other section, but it is an entirely separate other section.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Stopped by today...between recent experiences here, in MIA and PHL, have to say it's the Skyclubs and 3rd party lounges that are most convincing reasons for membership, for me at least (although JFK, LAS, PHX have represented Amex very well).

I always tip bartenders at the CL, but I found the practice here of the bartenders fishing for tips by leaving cash out on the bar a bit off-putting. First time I've seen this at any CL.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:55 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Further discussion of tipping in Centurion Lounges has been moved to a more specific thread: Do you tip Centurion Lounge bartenders?
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 10, 2022 at 8:12 am
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any recent reports on the food at SFO? Ive always enjoyed, but over the last few months I heard some concerns.

Additionally, any news on the expansion and potential opening date?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Any recent reports on the food at SFO? Ive always enjoyed, but over the last few months I heard some concerns.

Additionally, any news on the expansion and potential opening date?
I stop by just before the yearend twice, the food IMO is not that good, I did not take any picture but I can assure you, JFK/DIA are much, much better CL in freshness, presentation and taste ( and they had showers ).

I am not aware of expansion
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:35 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ccna101
I am not aware of expansion
Upcoming Expansions
San Francisco
Estimated opening date: Late 2022

The San Francisco lounge is one of the most popular in the network. Before the pandemic, it was often subject to overcrowding. Fortunately, Amex confirmed a much-needed expansion is coming soon, boosting the footprint to nearly 16,000 square feet. The expansion will introduce a new seasonal menu from chef Ravi Kapur, as well as a second bar and cafe area, additional restrooms, phone rooms and private workspaces.
SOURCE: https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-am...turion-lounges
Flying Machine and ccna101 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:04 pm

Expansion is about 7,000 sf. See this post for more info.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Is there such a thing as preregistration for the Centurion Lounge before I arrive at the airport? I remember seeing it somewhere but I cant find this feature in the Amex app.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by naumank
Is there such a thing as preregistration for the Centurion Lounge before I arrive at the airport? I remember seeing it somewhere but I can’t find this feature in the Amex app.
Ah, you can do what they call "check in on your" App, which will spare you having to show your Amex card and can enter with only your ID & BP. This however does not allow you an earlier place in the queue if there's a waiting list--your place in line, assuming there is one, will still be when you physically arrive at the entrance.

I've tried the App check in a few times and had a problem once. After that, I've stopped and will just use my physical card now.

Originally Posted by ccna101
I stop by just before the yearend twice, the food IMO is not that good, I did not take any picture but I can assure you, JFK/DIA are much, much better CL in freshness, presentation and taste ( and they had showers ).
It's been this way for quite some time now and I'd imagine most local SFO flyers would agree with you. "Not that good" is being kind and I'd have put it much less delicately. It's been some time since I've been to this CL, but I can imagine the food has 1) only gotten worse, and 2) it's still chicken.

These CLs run by a third party outfit like Sodexo or something? If it were Amex, they should fire whoever is in charge of the food or its prep here.
mcgahat and ccna101 like this.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 20, 2022 at 10:59 am Reason: added multi-quote
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, you can do what they call "check in on your" App, which will spare you having to show your Amex card and can enter with only your ID & BP. This however does not allow you an earlier place in the queue if there's a waiting list--your place in line, assuming there is one, will still be when you physically arrive at the entrance.

I've tried the App check in a few times and had a problem once. After that, I've stopped and will just use my physical card now.

It's been this way for quite some time now and I'd imagine most local SFO flyers would agree with you. "Not that good" is being kind and I'd have put it much less delicately. It's been some time since I've been to this CL, but I can imagine the food has 1) only gotten worse, and 2) it's still chicken.

These CLs run by a third party outfit like Sodexo or something? If it were Amex, they should fire whoever is in charge of the food or its prep here.
I wonder what input the local partner executive chef has into the food menu (Ravi Kapur of Liholiho Yacht Club). If I were the chef, I would be embarrassed by what the SFO CL serves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.