Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Previous thread is HERE.

$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 10:55 am

Is it possible to consolidate gift cards? I would like to use 14 gift cards online, but I can only enter 9 gift cards.
Old May 9, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by coneldra
Is it possible to consolidate gift cards? I would like to use 14 gift cards online, but I can only enter 9 gift cards.
Might be possible in store. No way to do so online AFAIK.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:38 am

5/04/22 - Bought $50 physical GC in store
5/09/22 - Credit posted
Old May 28, 2022, 11:17 am

I was curious, in the Wiki it clearly says Physical Gift cards in store are reimbursable. When I enrolled for this offer on the AMEX site it clearly says "Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards", Is this a glitch in the system and is there a chance of a clawback?
Old May 29, 2022, 5:08 pm

I guess the SILENCE tells me everything I need to know about this deal. I think I'll pass.
Old May 29, 2022, 5:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dirtrat
I guess the SILENCE tells me everything I need to know.....
American Express practice frequently differs from published terms, in the customers favor. If you see scores of reports that gift cards purchased at Saks are reimbursed, what is it that you need to know?
ijgordon, Statman, James91 and 2 others like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
American Express practice frequently differs from published terms, in the customers favor. If you see scores of reports that gift cards purchased at Saks are reimbursed, what is it that you need to know?

I thought I was very clear. Has anyone ever had a clawback doing this or is it possible there would be a clawback?
Old May 29, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I thought I was very clear. Has anyone ever had a clawback doing this or is it possible there would be a clawback?
Airline travel credit isn't supposed to work for UA Travel Bank either. Visit that thread to count the data points of how many times it was done successfully over the past several years. If you wish to read through the threads to see if anyone experienced clawbacks for either of these credits, please feel free to do so. Nobody has a crystal ball to know what Amex will do to tell if there would be one at any time in the future.

Hope that answers your question.
Statman, James91 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Be the data point you want to see
Old May 30, 2022, 6:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....is it possible there would be a clawback?
Yes, it is possible in the sense that Saks or American Express could change an algorithm, but purchasing physical gift cards has worked reliably. This is a zero risk transaction. You pay $50 for something that is worth $50. If it isn't reimbursed, or if the reimbursement is clawed back, you still have $50.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:29 pm

5/08/22 - $50 GC purchased in-store
5/13/22 - $50 reimbursed
Old May 30, 2022, 9:26 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Yes, it is possible in the sense that Saks or American Express could change an algorithm, but purchasing physical gift cards has worked reliably. This is a zero risk transaction. You pay $50 for something that is worth $50. If it isn't reimbursed, or if the reimbursement is clawed back, you still have $50.
Not trying to argue your point, but it's not really "zero" risk for those who normally won't shop at Saks without these credits, especially at inflated prices. I would call burning $50 credit on merchandise zero risk because there is no chance of it being clawed back unless the items are returned. In either case, there would be no out of pocket cost. As for the $50 GC, if the credit ever gets clawed back (haven't seen any report of such), one would have spent $50 out of pocket, which can only be spent on something that likely won't cost $50 else where.

LAX
Old May 31, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Saks isn’t overpriced for everything. Maybe they carry brands you may not buy. I’ve found many items at the same price elsewhere. And at or near the $50 mark.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Segments
Saks isn’t overpriced for everything. Maybe they carry brands you may not buy. I’ve found many items at the same price elsewhere. And at or near the $50 mark.
Indeed. I buy my cologne and aftershave at Saks using the GCs that I purchase and get reimbursed via the Amex credit.

The prices for those items at Saks are the same at most other places that sell said items.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Statman
Indeed. I buy my cologne and aftershave at Saks using the GCs that I purchase and get reimbursed via the Amex credit.

The prices for those items at Saks are the same at most other places that sell said items.
If you don't mind, could you list the cologne and aftershave you purchase? I've gotten similar pricing on Kiel's Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap and Aesop's hand sanitizer, but also use cologne occasionally. Plus, it is easy to gift for the holidays.

July is fast approaching and I am planning to dump one of my Platinum cards in August.

I know I could buy more hand sanitizer and soap, but I am getting quite a stockpile. I guess I am not dirty enough......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.