Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Previous thread is HERE.

$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Saks lost my package in transit and are refunding me (despite my efforts to get them to issue me a gift card).

Does the credit reset and become available to use again (I assume Amex will clawback) or is that it for the Jan-Jun iteration for me?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Saks lost my package in transit and are refunding me (despite my efforts to get them to issue me a gift card).

Does the credit reset and become available to use again (I assume Amex will clawback) or is that it for the Jan-Jun iteration for me?
If they do claw back you should be able to use it again.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:30 am

Are the folks that are buying gift cards in store, reseslling them or accumulating them for a larger purchase later?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by DrForce
Are the folks that are buying gift cards in store, reseslling them or accumulating them for a larger purchase later?
Using it later
DrForce likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DrForce
​​​​​​
In addition to accumulating, the gift cards also work at Saks Off Fifth, where the Amex credit does not trigger.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:37 am

Do purchases from Gold AU cards trigger this credit? I am aware that the credit is per account. I just want to put the charge thru the AU card to meet the minimum spend on it. Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Do purchases from Gold AU cards trigger this credit? I am aware that the credit is per account. I just want to put the charge thru the AU card to meet the minimum spend on it. Thanks.
From the wiki at the top of the thread (and personal experience): "Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account."
asdfghjk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
So, since this thread is often about collecting gift cards for future use, I wanted to report that you can't use GC combined with the (already mediocre) Shoprunner benefit that Amex offers Shoprunner Checkout. In my case I was looking at a $20 order from Saks Off Fifth, and chose to pay cash rather than spend $10 of my $50 GC on shipping. I will find a use for them eventually.

Edit: see the post below mine, regular checkout should still trigger the Shoprunner shipping.

Last edited by Gig103; Feb 17, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
So, since this thread is often about collecting gift cards for future use, I wanted to report that you can't use GC combined with the (already mediocre) Shoprunner benefit that Amex offers. In my case I was looking at a $20 order from Saks Off Fifth, and chose to pay cash rather than spend $10 of my $50 GC on shipping. I will find a use for them eventually.
This is incorrect. I've use gift cards concurrently with shoprunner on both saks and off saks site. I don't use shoprunner checkout, but I can be signed into my shoprunner account and get the free shipping while using the regular checkout.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
DP. Purchased $50 physical GC in store on 1/2. Credit posted on 2/7.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy6
DP. Purchased $50 physical GC in store on 1/2. Credit posted on 2/7.
So it took well over a month for the credit to post?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
I've been collecting the physical GC's since last year and now have about 5x50 GC's (across multiple Plats). One question I have is, when shopping online, is there a limit on the number of GC's that can be applied in the online checkout ?
I'm looking to buy a Tumi or B&R online (i don't have physical stores around me for 700 miles) and would like to use up my GC's.

Any DP on that (this may even be worth mentioning/capturing in the Wiki if we have a definitive answer)

thanks in advance
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by arshi007
I've been collecting the physical GC's since last year and now have about 5x50 GC's (across multiple Plats). One question I have is, when shopping online, is there a limit on the number of GC's that can be applied in the online checkout ?
I'm looking to buy a Tumi or B&R online (i don't have physical stores around me for 700 miles) and would like to use up my GC's.

Any DP on that (this may even be worth mentioning/capturing in the Wiki if we have a definitive answer)

thanks in advance
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33886160-post25.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33886628-post27.html

If you have 5 GCs then try a dummy order (add to cart and go to checkout but don't submit order) -- see if they let you apply all 5 cards and still give an option for more
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by arshi007

thanks in advance
Originally Posted by Jatan
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33886160-post25.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33886628-post27.html

If you have 5 GCs then try a dummy order (add to cart and go to checkout but don't submit order) -- see if they let you apply all 5 cards and still give an option for more
Thanks much for the links, I'm waiting to buy a couple of more for this period (Jan-Jun) and then will try it. I'll probably get to try with 7 or 8 and report back.
BTW, i didn't try coz i was afraid that once i add/apply the gift card in the order, it may zero out the gc balance and didn't know what would happen if i didn't actually place the order.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just now, I had a clerk adamantly refuse to take regular Saks gift cards. When I tried to push the matter, she firmly stood her ground saying that it was store policy to refuse them unless they were specifically from Off 5th.

Tested it at Saks Off online, same item appeared to work fine with regular Saks card. Unfortunately, sounds as though store management has trained employees to refuse Saks cards there.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Feb 17, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.