Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Previous thread is HERE.

$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Public Service Announcement:

The Laundress Recalls Fabric Conditioners Due to Chemical Hazard, Including Previously Recalled Units: Sold at Sax 5th Avenue and other stores

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Th...ce=govdelivery
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I've made several attempts to place orders over the last 2 years that resulted in delayed packages which i ended up cancelling.

Well, blow me down....last Friday afternoon I placed an order and it arrived today, Tuesday within the last hour. I didn't think it would even ship the same day i ordered it because it was a Friday. Everything i ordered was directly from Sax. Absolutely surprised.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:25 pm

Did Saks recently change their shipping policy? Looks like it's now min $100 with a coupon code, unless you have one of their branded credit cards. This credit just got harder to use.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pnweng
Did Saks recently change their shipping policy? Looks like it's now min $100 with a coupon code, unless you have one of their branded credit cards. This credit just got harder to use.
That's very disappointing. I just checked Shoprunner which offers free shipping with AMEX cards and no longer find Saks listed. As you said, the $50 benefit just depreciated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
That's very disappointing. I just checked Shoprunner which offers free shipping with AMEX cards and no longer find Saks listed. As you said, the $50 benefit just depreciated.
Unfortunately, ShopRunner has been gone for at least several months if not longer. The inclusion of $9.95 shipping on ~$50 orders is effectively a 20% devaluation of the Saks credit benefit. There might be promos once in a while to offset this somewhat but that means the Saks credit is now much harder to maximize effectively.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:01 pm

Another DP:

5/9/23 - Bought $50 physical GC in store
5/25/23 - Credit posted
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Bought a gift card 5/21 and credit posted 5/27.

And they reopened the off fifth on State Street in Chicago and their prices are pretty reasonable and a lot more affordable items than the NYC off fifth and no issues using my gift cards there.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by brc01
Unfortunately, ShopRunner has been gone for at least several months if not longer. The inclusion of $9.95 shipping on ~$50 orders is effectively a 20% devaluation of the Saks credit benefit. There might be promos once in a while to offset this somewhat but that means the Saks credit is now much harder to maximize effectively.
I think Saks very regularly has the "FREESHIP" promo for orders over $50 and the past couple of times, i've been able to get free shipping without shoprunner. As long as they continue offering that promo, it may not be that of an issue.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
I think Saks very regularly has the "FREESHIP" promo for orders over $50 and the past couple of times, i've been able to get free shipping without shoprunner. As long as they continue offering that promo, it may not be that of an issue.
Now "FREESHIP" is required $100+ pretax..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:55 pm

Weirdly, my item arrived 1-2 days after I ordered, but I just got an email saying it was delayed.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arshi007
As berombeau stated, but giving some additional info, they still use the "FREESHIP" promotion code but have modified the terms and conditions of the code to stipulate you need a minimum order of $100 (or more) to receive the free shipping. Here is the "fine print" for the code now:

"*Use code FREESHIP at checkout for free Standard shipping; minimum purchase of $100 or more before taxes required. SaksFirst Members get free Standard shipping on every order, no minimum spend or code required. Can be combined with other offers. Offer valid at saks.com only. Valid on shipments to U.S. addresses only. Not valid on international shipments. Not valid on Premium and Express shipping. Not valid at saksoff5th.com. For items shipped by the vendor, the offer only applies to those items eligible for Standard shipping. No adjustments to prior purchases. This offer is non-transferable." (emphasis added)

And note, the $100 minimum does not include taxes.

Regards
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by brc01
So basically, it’s now a $40 credit every six months for me. One way to avoid or reduce the shipping impact would be to buy a $50 gift card in one half-year period and use it together with the Plat for a $100+ purchase in the second half-year. Except that the hassle of going to a Saks store would likely make it a pointless exercise for me.

let’s see if this #shipflation change sticks during the holiday/BF shopping season…
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Might be a bit of a hassle but if the $50 product you're buying is returnable, just buy 2, get free shipping and you can return the extra one for free within 14 days using their prepaid label.

I personally have zero issue using the $50 on clothes when they run 70% or more sales and end up spending a lot more than that biannually. I think Amex believes that anyone that's in the caliber of holding a $695 annual fee plat card is the type of person who would be shopping at a store like Saks anyway.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by friedablass
Might be a bit of a hassle but if the $50 product you're buying is returnable, just buy 2, get free shipping and you can return the extra one for free within 14 days using their prepaid label.
Interesting idea, but I think Amex customers in the caliber of holding a $695 annual fee plat card aren’t the type of person who would be using such tricks.

I personally have zero issue using the $50 on clothes when they run 70% or more sales and end up spending a lot more than that biannually. I think Amex believes that anyone that's in the caliber of holding a $695 annual fee plat card is the type of person who would be shopping at a store like Saks anyway.
I think Amex believes that anyone that’s in the caliber of holding a $695 annual fee plat card is the type of person who would shop frequently at Walmart (as evidenced by the Walmart Plus credit)
renila, 747FC and arshi007 like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 4, 2023 at 6:08 pm
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Interesting idea, but I think Amex customers in the caliber of holding a $695 annual fee plat card aren’t the type of person who would be using such tricks.
Was just trying to help those people crying how difficult it is to get the maximum $50 bucks out of the credit, wasn't condoning this at all. If it was me having difficulty using a credit, I would just skip it completely like I do with the Equinox and several other credits both on the personal and biz plat. I just do what works for me and skip the rest.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think Amex believes that anyone that’s in the caliber of holding a $695 annual fee plat card is the type of person who would shop frequently at Walmart (as evidenced by the Walmart Plus credit)
Well yes, I found it to be quite an oxymoron when they added the credit for Walmart plus to the plat as it stands out among credits that lean towards luxury/high end. However, while I do shop Walmart for groceries and electronics as I find the selection to be very similar and many times even the same as high end retailers, I would never shop in their clothes department and rather turn to Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, and the like for that - you will (most likely) never find the same brand clothes at Walmart as at these department stores. Thus I have no issue having and using both the Saks and Walmart credit .

Last edited by friedablass; Jun 4, 2023 at 9:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.