Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by friedablass
Which card? Gold or Plat?
Personal Plat, just edited the post
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Business Plat. Offered $100 - but got $595 last year. Chat disconnected before I could cancel. HUACA
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Delta Reserve
50K points for 3K in spend
Accepted (interestingly I got no offer a few weeks ago)

Basically batting 1.000 this year on what seem to be highest offers available across multiple cards. Batted 0.000 last year. Two more (Hilton no fee, Hilton Aspire) to go.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by andyandy
Business Plat. Offered $100 - but got $595 last year. Chat disconnected before I could cancel. HUACA
Similar here last couple of Biz Cards were offered $695 3/6 month ago. The latest (1st renewal, min spend after meeting SUB) got an “offer” of $100 app a month before the AF hits. Will try again later (was inside 12 moth after opening anyway).
Old Aug 15, 2022, 4:36 pm
Suspended

To the previous posters, you need to tell us how much you spent with Amex this past year, because this is the main factor for Amex in deciding their retention offer.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Mama
To the previous posters, you need to tell us how much you spent with Amex this past year, because this is the main factor for Amex in deciding their retention offer.
Me? The same on all my Platinum Biz cards …. $15k to hit Sub and then just Phone/Dell/… credits
so the September/June/March Re toon offers were apples to apples. Result was $695/$695/$100
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Mama
I guess that's the answer as to why I ultimately got a retention offer but my spouse didn't. My spend was ~$100k over the past 12 months whereas my spouse's was only a little over $10k.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I guess that's the answer as to why I ultimately got a retention offer but my spouse didn't. My spend was ~$100k over the past 12 months whereas my spouse's was only a little over $10k.
Not really as some people had higher spending but no retention offer etc.
3 cards same type, same spend (month is AF timing not when I called in but it was app 1 month before).
Retention March - $695
Retention June - $695
Retention September -$100

The Long and short of it > things change
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jk1087
Has anyone been denied a retention offer in each of their first two years with higher AF card? Called last year and wasn't offered anything, called again today a month before the AF hits and again nothing on the account. Agent suggested calling back after it hits but I don't know if that will make a difference

Bonvoy Brilliant is the card
No idea how their retention algorithm works but I never get retention offers for my Bonvoy Brilliant and Bonvoy Business card. I've had the cards for years (since the SPG days). I've only been keeping them because I'm still using up my stash of points but will probably finally cancel them next year. I did get a 55k for $4k spend on my personal Plat last December that had minimal spend after sign-up bonus spend so not sure if high annual fee / high spending has anything to do with it.
​​​​​​​
blitzen likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:53 am

Recent business card offerings have been bad for me:
Biz Plat: $100 retention, cancelled the card
Biz Gold: $75 retention, cancelled the card
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:10 pm

Platinum, first year. Around $10K spend. Chatted 3 months before annual fee and had no offer. Chatted again 3 weeks after fee intended to close and was offered 30K MR with $3K spend.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:17 am

Business platinum by chat

I see here that there is an offer available for your account that we can issue you 40,000 Membership Rewards points that will be applied to your account after you spend a minimum of $10,000 on qualifying purchases on your card over a 92-day period, starting from today if you accept the offer.

or $100 credit
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Is it just me or is it actually objectively depressing to see the typical/average retention offer get so small (FMPOV as to be almost circling the drain)? 6 months ago, for a biz Plat, $695 and/or 50K (with spend requirement) were common, now we’re salivating over 40K (with high spend) with $100 and/or 10-20K being more common. At least AmEx apparently continues to be generous with ongoing targeted NLL offers with healthy SUBs.

(Is it live or is it Memorex? The Voice That Shattered Glass Prove the old myth that an opera singer could shatter a wine glass with a high note — and then claim a Memorex cassette had such exacting sound precision that its recording could break a glass, too.)

Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Is it just me or is it actually objectively depressing to see the typical/average retention offer get so small (FMPOV as to be almost circling the drain)? 6 months ago, for a biz Plat, $695 and/or 50K (with spend requirement) were common, now we’re salivating over 40K (with high spend) with $100 and/or 10-20K being more common. At least AmEx apparently continues to be generous with ongoing targeted NLL offers with healthy SUBs.
That is true. After 6 NLL Platinum Business cards opened (one every 90+ days) I yesterday got another targeted Biz Plat offer in my email. Guess here comes number 7 in a month (right now at 60 days).
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Personal Schwab Plat. Spend about 15k a year. Called after the second year annual fee posted. Got 20k points after 3k spend in 3 months offer. Accepted.

Is there a way to see the offer in my account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.