Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
General datapoints: Called (first # listed in Wikipost) today about Hilton Aspire and Blue Biz + accounts, same phone # for both, answered immediately by automatic system asking for full 15 digit account number, after inputting account number call automatically routed to pers or biz live agent within 1-2 minutes.

Last Aspire offer (20,000/$3,000/3 months) accepted Dec 2021. Nada today.

Last BB+ offer (5,000 now/5,000/$3,000/3 months) accepted Dec 2020. Today (and every 2-3 months for the past 8 months) offered $50. Asked if any current MR offers, agent said “no, I haven’t seen any MR offers this quarter, we had them last quarter but not this quarter” and “yes, call back, these offers are dynamic”.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pubsmeister
The person from Amex did discuss my other cards with them (I have 7 total) and my 32 year history with the company- whether that played a role in the offer is not clear. Good luck!
You and I are nearly the same cardholder lol. I have a 37 year history and currently have 5 cards. They always say "thank you for being a valued card member for X years".
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
General datapoints: Called (first # listed in Wikipost) today about Hilton Aspire and Blue Biz + accounts, same phone # for both, answered immediately by automatic system asking for full 15 digit account number, after inputting account number call automatically routed to pers or biz live agent within 1-2 minutes.

Last Aspire offer (20,000/$3,000/3 months) accepted Dec 2021. Nada today.

Last BB+ offer (5,000 now/5,000/$3,000/3 months) accepted Dec 2020. Today (and every 2-3 months for the past 8 months) offered $50. Asked if any current MR offers, agent said “no, I haven’t seen any MR offers this quarter, we had them last quarter but not this quarter” and “yes, call back, these offers are dynamic”.
Not surprised about the Aspire as it isn’t 13 month since the last offer.
SPN Lifer and krazykanuck like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
CS Plat

Lots of spending, last year got 50k don’t remember spending, just called, 30k for 3k spending…..took it
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
No offer on my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant. Keeping the card at least one more year to double up on the Marriott and dining credits.

Charles Schwab Platinum: 20k MR points for $3k spend in three months. Accepted the offer since I wasn't planning to close it anyways but was hoping for at least 30k.

Gold Cards were targeted for an upgrade offer to the Vanilla Platinum the other day when looking in the "View All Credit Cards" section of the AmEx website. 25k MR points after spending $2k in six months plus 5 MR points/$ for US groceries, US supermarkets, and global dining. There's lifetime language in the T&C although it wasn't enforced on a previous upgrade offer I received. Will wait to potentially upgrade after hitting SUBs on other cards.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:46 pm

AMEX Everyday Preferred

1) $2500 spend over 3 months for 10,000 points
2) $3000 spend over 3 months for $100
3) Use 9500 MR points to cover $95 annual fee
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by danpeake
AMEX Everyday Preferred

1) $2500 spend over 3 months for 10,000 points
2) $3000 spend over 3 months for $100
3) Use 9500 MR points to cover $95 annual fee
That was hopefully an easy decision.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:57 pm

Following up, no offer on my wife's Business Platinum, but it did pay 150k points last year so...... we cancelled it, and started a gold business 100k for 10k spend this week, no lifetime language
SPN Lifer and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:26 pm

AMEX Personal Pt

Called and spoke with the CS dept. Rep said no offers showing.

Isn’t there a retention dept? In the past I specifically asked to be transferred to it.

I’ll call back tomorrow and will likely cancel if offers still show zero.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by radiolarian
Isn’t there a retention dept?
Try the telephone numbers in the Wikipost at the top of this thread, but if you received a retention bonus for the same card in the last 13 months there is not likely to be anything now.
radiolarian likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by radiolarian
AMEX Personal Pt

Called and spoke with the CS dept. Rep said no offers showing.

Isn’t there a retention dept? In the past I specifically asked to be transferred to it.

I’ll call back tomorrow and will likely cancel if offers still show zero.
I chatted with CS the other day and, when I said I was considering canceling, they transferred me to retention. Not sure if the word “cancel” triggered it, but seemed to. There were no offers on my biz plat that day. I’ll give it another shot but plan to cancel without a good retention offer.
SPN Lifer and radiolarian like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I was offered 20k points for 3k spend in 3 months on the personal platinum. For reference, only spent about $2000 on the card over the past year, pretty much all on plane tickets and Amex Offers merchants. On the fence as to whether the offer is worthwhile. Not a heavy user of the Amex lounges given recent travel habits and feel like maximizing the credits is sometimes more stress than it's worth...
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
I was offered 20k points for 3k spend in 3 months on the personal platinum. For reference, only spent about $2000 on the card over the past year, pretty much all on plane tickets and Amex Offers merchants. On the fence as to whether the offer is worthwhile. Not a heavy user of the Amex lounges given recent travel habits and feel like maximizing the credits is sometimes more stress than it's worth...
Totally agree re maximizing credits. And for me, I often end up spending more on things I don’t really want. Like I bought a pair of $100 shoes from Saks to use the $50 credit but wouldn’t have bought the shoes otherwise. They are worth the remaining $50, but I just wouldn’t have purchased or even thought to look. And it’s even hard for me to use the Uber credits at this point. Another case where I end up doing Uber eats when I’d rather do a non Uber eats meal/restaurant. I’m about to try again for my biz plat but barring a significant offer, I’m canceling.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:06 pm

FYI Amex chat for plat business (maybe all biz?) retention is available 8-5 EST, M-F. Keep that in mind if you are in a time crunch and don’t want to call.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
MS Personal Plat. $15k spend last year, $12k spend YTD, last retention bonus was June 2020. Chatted today and was offered 20k for $3k spend. Declined; looking for 40k or at least 30k, based on the above. Rep said offers can change day to day—has anyone experienced that? Thinking I'll give it a week and check back in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.