Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM
My annual date was in Feb 2022; called a few times in February and March, never an offer. Annual spend about $20-25k for the last 15 years.
Last call in March, still no offer, so I closed card.
I'll miss the Amex Centurion and Sky Club but for $700 for a half dozen uses, ouch!

So far haven't missed it, I'm sure i will when I start travelling again, but with everyone getting retention offers, i've had a P card since forever, I was insulted.
SPN Lifer and tobikosan like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by wb2020
AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant - 3 months, 20K Bonvoy points.
Out of curiosity what is the spend requirement? For $1k I would do it for $2k I think I opt out.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Bonvoy Business

No surprise that I did that a call did not get any incentive to keep the card as I haven't spent much on it. I will keep it for the free night and 15 elite nights credit
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by mkpkmp
Amex Bus Plat first year annual fee posted. Minimum spend except for 15K spend for the initial bonus. Chat for retention offer. Got $695 for 5K spend. Accepted.
I got this offer today too from calling in (and accepted) for the Amex Bus Plat. It's worth noting that I had previously tried chatting twice for a retention offer over the past couple of weeks and was told I didn't have any. I called today to close because I had read that some people were successful with retention offers on the phone after being denied via chat, but I did not expect an offer of this magnitude. Considering that the renewal was only $595, this ends up being a $100 money maker before considering any of the perks.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:48 am

I did not receive any retention offers on my UK Amex Platinum. I closed the card.

Now that this card is metal or whatever-you-call-it, how do i go and "cut through the chip" as they tell you to do?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
I did not receive any retention offers on my UK Amex Platinum. I closed the card.

Now that this card is metal or whatever-you-call-it, how do i go and "cut through the chip" as they tell you to do?
You should be able to ask Amex Customer Service for a mailer to return the card to them to destroy.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by wxman22
My annual date was in Feb 2022; called a few times in February and March, never an offer. Annual spend about $20-25k for the last 15 years.
Last call in March, still no offer, so I closed card.
I'll miss the Amex Centurion and Sky Club but for $700 for a half dozen uses, ouch!

So far haven't missed it, I'm sure i will when I start travelling again, but with everyone getting retention offers, i've had a P card since forever, I was insulted.
Interesting, was this the personal plat?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy

Borrow/buy a pair of tin snips and cut away
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:43 am

I'm not going to cancel as I just got a retention. It says must keep card for 12 months after "acquiring it." Is this 12 month after I receive the retention offer or 12 month after I hit the spend to receive the loyalty offer? For example, my retention offer was 45K MR points for 4K spend in 3 months. Thanks all!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mrcaptain
I'm not going to cancel as I just got a retention. It says must keep card for 12 months after "acquiring it." Is this 12 month after I receive the retention offer or 12 month after I hit the spend to receive the loyalty offer? For example, my retention offer was 45K MR points for 4K spend in 3 months. Thanks all!
After receiving the retention offer. I've generally received retention offers when my annual fee posted, and haven't had problems canceling 12 months after receiving the retention offer, when the next year's annual fee hits.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:21 pm

Biz Plat AF posted year 1 Anniversary. Was offered $695 credit on 5K spend. Took it.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Out of curiosity what is the spend requirement? For $1k I would do it for $2k I think I opt out.
It seems that I left out a rather citical detail. Required spend is $1500 over 3 months, so it's right in the middle of your two decision points. We've got 5 nights at St. Regis Bora Bora coming up in August so given that scenario, the decision really made itself for us.
SPN Lifer and CaptJOB like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by manu08
I have a question on the spending requirements for these retention offers for Amex plat. If you have another user with Amex Gold, does their spending count (my wife has an amex gold attached to this plat)?

I'm wondering if you can stack the rewards here, since you can open an amex gold for a secondary user with its own spending bonus.
I confirmed with Amex customer service that spend on the AU gold card will count towards the Amex plat retention offer.
SPN Lifer and donasaur like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:05 am

DP: On my Platinum card, I've spend less that $1000 in the entire annual cycle, maxed out all benefits, got a 30k MR retention offer last year, and somehow they still offered me a $150 with no spend retention offer. Accepted it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:44 am

Schwab Platinum Card:
30k MR points after $3k in spend. Accepted (honestly a difficult call, but I do value the Schwab cashout option). Previous retention offer was accepted on 5/17/21 (exactly 13 months before this one). Interestingly, I also asked about a retention offer yesterday (6/16/22) and was offered only a $150 statement credit. Another DP that the 13 month mark is the magic number to get a "real" retention offer.

Minimal spend beyond the reimbursed spending (airline incidental, digital entertainment, Saks).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.