Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wife's Platinum account received a retention offer of either $150 or 30K points for $3,000 spend. Cancelled.

Last edited by slappychasez; Jun 3, 2022 at 11:04 pm
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Just accepted offer for 40K points for $3K spend for my wife's Platium card. This was the first renewal.

Last edited by crazyhorse; Jun 7, 2022 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Just accepted offer for 40K points for $3K spend for my wife's card. This was the first renewal.
for which card? gold?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:07 am

I have had my AMEX Platinum Business card for one year. I just pinged AMEX via chat to see if there was any retention offers. They stated that there are none as of now. Can anyone let group/me knoww hat people have seen for a 1 year retention offer on AMEX Business Platinum? I was suprised there there was no retention offer. Should I keep open and try in a month/few weeks? Advise welcome. Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by kimbray
I have had my AMEX Platinum Business card for one year. I just pinged AMEX via chat to see if there was any retention offers. They stated that there are none as of now. Can anyone let group/me knoww hat people have seen for a 1 year retention offer on AMEX Business Platinum? I was suprised there there was no retention offer. Should I keep open and try in a month/few weeks? Advise welcome. Thanks!
Are those not reported above? I got $695 for $5k spend on two first year cards in 2022

Last edited by blitzen; Jun 7, 2022 at 5:54 pm
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:40 am

30k pts for $3000 in spend in 3 months for Amex Platinum. ~11k in spend via chat
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by blitzen
for which card? gold?
Updated post. It was for the Vanilla Plat.
blitzen likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:38 pm

Second business platinum - first year anniversary, renewal for the lower $595 posted, really no spend beyond initial 15k to get 150k. last year. Chatted in, really had no intention to keep open unless a really juicy offer, no offer other than downgrading. Closed. Got an email to open another one a few days ago, so likely to jump on that
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Amex Gold. $2k spend for 20k MR points. I was on the fence but I figured with all the retention offer I had been getting from Amex I might as well stay on their good side.

Nothing on my Amex Bonvoy Brilliant.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by rihc55
30k pts for $3000 in spend in 3 months for Amex Platinum. ~11k in spend via chat
Same offer on Schwab Platinum, no real spend besides some car rentals (maybe about $1000 total in last year). Seems like this is the current standard offer for personal platinums
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Called Amex today to cancel my Platinum Card. I have 3 Authorized Users on the card. Had it for 6 years. Less than $5K of spend per year (outside of Uber, Walmart+, digital credit related spend to take advantage of the credits). My goal was to cancel unless I received a compelling offer.
After going through all the benefits of the card, the rep said there was a loyalty offer on the account for 45,000 MR points with $4K of spend in 3 months. I took the offer, and will keep the card for another year.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:54 pm

Bonvoy Business Card. Very little spend. Second year. I got the card for the elite night credit but made it to lifetime plat this year so really don't need it any longer. The free night cert is nice, but I'm sort of sick of Bonvoy.

Said I'm disappointed with Marriott, don't need the card. Offered $200 credit no questions or spend. Chat. Accepted.

What is going on with Amex business cards? They are literally paying us to keep them.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Called retention number yesterday for Business Platinum. Offered $350, no strings. Advised CSR that forums have postings setting forth better offers. He said that Forums not always accurate. Fortunately, turned down offer. My wife recieved an offer of 30K points for a successful referral. Sent it to me. I applied for Platinum Personal Card which has 100K bonus after $6K spend. So, 130K points combined. Called to cancel my Business Platinum. Called number on back of card, rather than retention phone number. When recieving prompts, I said "cancel card". Without saying anything, I was immediately offered waiver of annual fee. Told CSR that I was getting Personal Platinum and 130K points. He advised that prior reps offer was incorrect, but there was no way he could match my 130K bonus offer. Cancelled Business Platinum.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by PMFR
Called retention number yesterday for Business Platinum. Offered $350, no strings. Advised CSR that forums have postings setting forth better offers. He said that Forums not always accurate. Fortunately, turned down offer. My wife recieved an offer of 30K points for a successful referral. Sent it to me. I applied for Platinum Personal Card which has 100K bonus after $6K spend. So, 130K points combined. Called to cancel my Business Platinum. Called number on back of card, rather than retention phone number. When recieving prompts, I said "cancel card". Without saying anything, I was immediately offered waiver of annual fee. Told CSR that I was getting Personal Platinum and 130K points. He advised that prior reps offer was incorrect, but there was no way he could match my 130K bonus offer. Cancelled Business Platinum.
Never Heard- them match anything
Why did. you close? No AF would have gotten you $120, $400 Dell credits…..
levilevi likes this.

Last edited by blitzen; Jun 8, 2022 at 4:08 pm
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:49 am

Chatted to cancel my personal Plat, after running through the benefits the agent offered a retention offer of 55,000 points after spending $4,000 in three months. No brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.