Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, SWA, UAL, DAL
Did chat today for a Biz Plat since I saw the $595 annual fee being billed to it.
Got offered a $695 statement credit (so, I'm making $100). Accepted.
Oddly enough, when I saw the annual fee in the transactions list, there was a 150k/$15k and 10k/referral $1k Biz Plat offer below, and I decided to take that first before reaching out to cancel.
levilevi likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Personal Platinum. Finally called in and was surprised to get an offer of 100,000 MR points for $5,000 spend in the next 3 months. Would have accepted regardless as the benefits work for me

Charged ~$200,000 on the card last year
No wonder you got a great retention offer. You're a customer they want to keep. Well done, AMEX
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL AA Hilton Hyatt
Amex Gold

Offered 15k with 2k spend
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Personal Platinum. Finally called in and was surprised to get an offer of 100,000 MR points for $5,000 spend in the next 3 months.
Let us know if/when the points post. This is so far outside the realm of normal that I'm naturally skeptical.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Plat

Received three offers: $150 credit no spend; $300 credit or 30K points for 3K spend. Canceled b/c it was already tough to use benefits b4 they added lifestyle bennies and increase to $695. For those who can, enjoy! I’ll stick to my Green and Gold cards and Sapphire Reserve for now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:59 pm

Any good scripts you guys use when "fishing" for offers? I.e., I don't actually want to close my card, but if they say "no offers available", how to gracefully keep the card open?
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:32 am

just say --I will think about it
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SPLP007
just say --I will think about it
Agree. I also ask what is my last day to cancel the card to get my annual fee rebated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Any good scripts you guys use when "fishing" for offers
My shaman says that my chakra is off orbit because of all of these fees. I recently converted to a new religion that doesn't allow for paying banking fees. In reality it doesn't matter what you say, just get them to the retention offer screen on their computer.
ithinkurdumb, volabam and MaxVO like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Personal Platinum with $10.8K spend in the 12 months prior. Initial offer was 40K/$3K/3 mos. or $400 credit. I took the points. Should have read this thread beforehand and asked about the 55K offer. But I was in a rush to get out of the house and didn't feel like bargaining, so... C'est la vie.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum
No offer on the Marriott Bonvoy (Legacy SPG) Card. Have a couple weeks to decide if it's worth keeping. Probably is since I can usually get more than $95 out of the free night. The guy was pushing the status benefits and really didn't know what to say about the fact that I have lifetime with Marriott.

Cancelled a duplicate no fee Hilton card as well. No bonus offered, but it's a duplicate card that was downgraded last year. I had the original Hilton card from Citi and will never give that one up with 20+ years of history.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:19 am

Just called, offered 150 statement credit. Received the same about 13 months ago, so canceled. Will just become authorized user on my wife's card. As a legacy Fidelity Platinum cardholder, assume I'll be eligible for a Personal Platinum sign on bonus in the future.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by WSTC
Personal Platinum with $10.8K spend in the 12 months prior. Initial offer was 40K/$3K/3 mos. or $400 credit. I took the points. Should have read this thread beforehand and asked about the 55K offer. But I was in a rush to get out of the house and didn't feel like bargaining, so... C'est la vie.
You likely did not miss out because they typically do not make an improved offer on the same day. It seems that an algorithm determines what they'll offer and you usually can choose between $$$ or points, but the offer is what it is.
SPN Lifer, volabam, WSTC and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
No offer on Amex Surpass, downgraded to the Hilton no AF fee card and will wait for an upgrade bonus to hit the account.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by N104UA
No offer on Amex Surpass, downgraded to the Hilton no AF fee card and will wait for an upgrade bonus to hit the account.
How long does that take? I downgraded two months ago and haven't seen any offer.

On the other hand, I'd rather not get an offer for some more months. But I would like to get an offer sometime, and I wonder if and when that will be. If I don't jump on the first offer, will I get another? After how long? Thanks for any insight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.