FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The 2020 - 2021 thread is HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Offers USA (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
For the fine dining connoisseurs among the Amex clientele:

That buys a lot of unlimited breadsticks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is that Mobil Synergy Supreme+ medium grade or top grade price fuel? My ICE just needs regular gas. And given that Mobil is out of the way, probably not worth it for me. I also get 5 Hyatt points for any gas on my Hyatt card for the next three month.
Get a $5 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible Card to make a single, standalone purchase of $25+ at an Exxon™ or Mobil™ station by 8/30/2022. Offer valid only on Exxon or Mobil Synergy Supreme+™ premium fuel, paid for at the pump or via the Exxon Mobil Rewards+™ app. Max 3 statement credits (total $15)
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
For the fine dining connoisseurs among the Amex clientele:

That buys a lot of unlimited breadsticks.
All the Darden's except for YardHouse were on mine so I can have mediocre food all week long.
notquiteaff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jjl468
I saw this on my Plat and Gold as well as a separate $100 back on $350 from Delta on my BBP. They seem to be separate offers as I was still able to see and add the Plat offer after I accepted the BBP offer.
Will Delta GC trigger this offer?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
Data point/Success story from the last time this offer popped up:
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Purchased a eGC via this link on desktop at https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPur...D_eGift_Launch (You have to do it on desktop not mobile or the DL app as I read on DoC/SD that if you do it through the mobile, DL app, or from the other gift card link on a desktop on delta.com which has "Cash Star" at the bottom then they all code as something different and won't credit.)
Charged posted the next day as "Delta Air Lines Atlanta"

Credit posted the day after that.

Thankfully I got the offer again on one of my cards, so I’ll be running it back.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Jul 1, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
Even with DPs supporting that GCs trigger the offer, I would not pursue that option myself. I would instead purchase a flight just above the threshold for the offer, wait 2 days, and then cancel the flight for an eCredit. It's essentially the same as buying a gift card except that it fully falls within the terms of the offer as you're using it as intended to buy a flight
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Even with DPs supporting that GCs trigger the offer, I would not pursue that option myself. I would instead purchase a flight just above the threshold for the offer, wait 2 days, and then cancel the flight for an eCredit. It's essentially the same as buying a gift card except that it fully falls within the terms of the offer as you're using it as intended to buy a flight
There's not even any particular need to cancel it, if you book your placeholder flight far enough out. Just need to modify it to some other flight you actually intend to fly, before the placeholder flight occurs.
IndyHoosier and jjl468 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:56 pm

Clarification RE: Offer Terms

"Offer only valid on room rate and room charges."
Ignoring room charges, since there won't be any, does this really mean ONLY the room rate(s) and NOT the total charge (including tax) to the card?

Does Amex actually get an itemization of the bill so that they can add up the individual room rates only?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by hi-guy
"Offer only valid on room rate and room charges."
Ignoring room charges, since there won't be any, does this really mean ONLY the room rate(s) and NOT the total charge (including tax) to the card?

Does Amex actually get an itemization of the bill so that they can add up the individual room rates only?
Room charges include taxes, fees, meals, etc- everything charged to the room and they just use the total -in my experiences. Never an issue.
You can even just make a "deposit" with your credit card for the exact amount.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Amex seems to be getting better about this as I spent $100 at Total Wine yesterday, waking up to an Offer Used email today.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:06 pm

I have not tried this myself yet. I was hoping someone would report back here about this first, but if nobody does, I am planning on trying it myself towards the end of the month.
For those interested, I booked an IAP flight on Delta for over $1,000 and got an email notifying me that I triggered the offer within a few days and then got the credit about a few more days after that. After booking, the flight immediately showed under My Trips on the Delta website and all of the normal options for cancelling and changing the flights were there with no change fee. However, the website seems to be having issues right now as it's unable to pull up my MQMs/MQDs and when trying to cancel the flight just now, I get a very long spinner before the website says that it couldn't process the cancellation. The flight is booked for late fall and no change fee shows when viewing options to change the flight to a domestic one so I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure I could call in and get it handled that way in the worst case, but will just keep trying on the website for now and will provide another update once the website recovers.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:20 pm

Note that it appears the gift card is now dead. Delta uses a 3rd party app now which codes as GC with Amex.
bgriff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
.... Delta uses a 3rd party app now which codes as GC with Amex.
Delta has long outsourced purchases made with a mobile device to Cashstar, but purchases made with a laptop or desktop browser have been processed by Delta. What type of device did you use to make a purchase?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Delta has long outsourced purchases made with a mobile device to Cashstar, but purchases made with a laptop or desktop browser have been processed by Delta. What type of device did you use to make a purchase?
laptop. Worked in December. This time coded differently. Doc has an article on it now as well. You can see the cashstar logo on the giftcard website now.
mia, bgriff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question/issue with $300 back with $1000 IAP purchase.

I'm looking at booking an NYC-Germany fare with SQ on the TATL to FRA. There are 3 options:
  • +$0: Cheapest option is booking direct with SQ which has the domestic flights as SQ codeshare operated by LH.
  • +$200: Book with AmexTravel.com, SQ codeshares also, but this is not showing as an IAP fare.
  • +$300: Book as an IAP fare with AmexTravel.com, LH prime flights on the domestic connectors. FWIW, this $100 differential on Amextravel.com between the previous option is primarily taxes.
So my dilemma - I can book the non-IAP fare on amextravel.com for a net savings of ~$100 ($200 fare premium - $300 credit), assuming it will still qualify for the offer.Again, this is not showing in the search results as an IAP fare, but it obviously is marketed and operated by IAP carriers and otherwise seems to meet the T&Cs of the offer.

But I'm thinking the "safest" bet is to just book with SQ direct, and find a $1000+ DL PE fare and just cancel that for e-credit.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.