Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you mean paying to select seats or a bad yes that is covered. If you're changing the ticket to standard economy it is less likely to work.

Originally Posted by pbcowboy13
Does anyone have a DP for using the credit in order to add economy benefits to a basic economy ticket? Would this be considered an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:18 pm

5/23 pm - $100 Travel Bank purchase
5/27 - $100 credit appeared consumed in the benefits Dasboard but not yet credited
Old May 31, 2022, 9:09 pm

Just upgraded a Gold to Platinum (can't remember which day I set United Airlines as airline credit)
2x $100 on 5/31

Will report back
Old May 31, 2022, 10:33 pm
c35

Programs: Marriott TE, Hilton D, UA PG
DP:

$200 each on 2 AMEX Platinums processed as "United Airlines Houston Tx (05/27/22)
$250 single purchase on Hilton Aspire processed as "United Electronic Ticketing" (06/01/22)

Worried the "United Electronic Ticketing" wont be processed similar to the platinum cards.

Update: 06/03/2022: Aspire chase mentioned above changed to "United Airlines Houston Tx", no credits.

Update 2: 06/06/2022: Credit given for "AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT". Posted 06/05/2022.

Last edited by c35; Jun 6, 2022 at 9:22 am
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by c35
Worried the "United Electronic Ticketing" wont be processed similar to the platinum cards.
This is unimportant, see for example this post : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33862002-post59.html
c35 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:59 am

Aspire Card - selected UA, waited 24hrs, was denoted on AmEx site.
​​​​​​Purchased $250 via Travelbank, which posted May 31st. No credit as of June 3rd. Will keep this updated, but not looking good...​
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:33 pm

I know purchasing Econ+ seats from economy triggers the incidental credit but any DP you guys know of the Travel Bundle to Econ + seats trigger the credit? The bundle seems to be around 10$ cheaper than straight up selecting seats for each way. Additional info: the travel bundle will be a separate purchase from the ticket as I already have bought the ticket. I've read that having a separate purchase from or after getting the ticket can trigger the credit on eligible transactions. Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL
Wiki says:

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.
I do not think you have to wait a day anymore. I selected UA on my Biz Plat on May 31st, loaded $100 into Travelbank ~10 minutes later after selecting, and $100 reimbursement posted June 2nd.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
I do not think you have to wait a day anymore.
The fact that ten minutes was sufficient in one example is not evidence that it will be sufficient in every instance. It is prudent to wait a day or two, because there is no way for the cardholder to know how long it takes for all of the relevant American Express databases to update.
SPN Lifer, gnomie and brc01 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
The fact that ten minutes was sufficient in one example is not evidence that it will be sufficient in every instance. It is prudent to wait a day or two, because there is no way for the cardholder to know how long it takes for all of the relevant American Express databases to update.
Yep, I'm going on day 4 (after charge posted), and no credit. If it sounds too good...
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Just upgraded a Gold to Platinum (can't remember which day I set United Airlines as airline credit)
2x $100 on 5/31

Will report back
Charges post - meter has not moved

Per the other thread, some of the other credits are also taking an extended time to post - not worried
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:12 pm

Charges post - meter has not moved

Per the other thread, some of the other credits are also taking an extended time to post - not worried
I'll be interested in your DP. I'm going on day 5, no credit.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by redtalun
5/23 pm - $100 Travel Bank purchase
5/27 - $100 credit appeared consumed in the benefits Dasboard but not yet credited
Did yours ever get actual credited?

I also can't imagine they just randomly closed the loop-hole at the end of May...
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:11 pm

day 6 - no credit posted.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:11 pm

Did yours ever get actual credited?

I also can't imagine they just randomly closed the loop-hole at the end of May...
Well, it looks like they randomly did close the loop hole at the end of May...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.