Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 22, 10:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 22, 6:14 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 View Post
that's the thing, you can't. And to be honest no one knows if the 18 month activity rule is even valid for the travelbank or just left over wording from prior registries
what triggered that? Would just buying a lounge membership count as activity?
Old Jan 1, 22, 6:32 pm

You have to buy something with travelbank cash. Oh and it specifically says buying and then canceling and redepositing does not count. I can't imagine united would zero out balances after 18 months given there is now no way to deposit more. Then again this is united we are talking about
Old Jan 1, 22, 8:03 pm

Made it just under the wire for 2021!

Dec 28: 2x $100 Travel Bank purchases
Dec 30: 2x $100 reimbursements

This is with the Amex Platinum (not business, not co-branded).
Old Jan 1, 22, 9:16 pm

RIP TB.
assuming UA doesnt bring TB back, i would be curious to know the reason. i wouldnt be surprised if hey saw a huge uptick in amex purchases this year and thought more about it.
Old Jan 1, 22, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 View Post
RIP TB.
assuming UA doesnt bring TB back, i would be curious to know the reason. i wouldnt be surprised if hey saw a huge uptick in amex purchases this year and thought more about it.
only united would say no to more money
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 View Post
only united would say no to more money
true. but assuming these credit are sponsored by UA, i can imagine how they may be bleeding.
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
true. but assuming these credit are sponsored by UA, i can imagine how they may be bleeding.
They are not. The airlines are not sponsoring these credits like with Amex offers.
renila, gtran26, 36902BRF and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 22, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant View Post
At the very least, they'll have to transfer over credits. I was earning $30 per month through Chase and November and December still hadn't posted. Still had a decent balance in Travel Bank.
Same here...there is $60 in TravelBank deposit yet to post for me from the card offer.
Plus a trip on Friday paid for mostly with TravelBank funds got cancelled by United due to staffing issues, so they need to eventually (have heard this usually ends up requiring manual intervention) refund that to the TravelBank. Which may or may not totally exist anymore. It's always something.
Old Jan 2, 22, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by UAzip View Post
…, so they need to eventually (have heard this usually ends up requiring manual intervention) refund that to the TravelBank. Which may or may not totally exist anymore.

I wouldn’t worry about the travel bank itself being gone. Just the funding mechanism as we knew and liked it. There are presumably many people with balances that have expiration dates far in the future.
Old Jan 2, 22, 12:11 am

If I book a cash ticket, could I possibly get an agent to apply my travel bank funds to it later on? I ask because my travel bank wont pop up as an option to pay because of having a segment with a code share flight. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Old Jan 2, 22, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by churn_dat_nation View Post
If I book a cash ticket, could I possibly get an agent to apply my travel bank funds to it later on? I ask because my travel bank wont pop up as an option to pay because of having a segment with a code share flight. If anyone knows, please let me know.
If I remember correctly, if you click something like "other payment methods not listed" it should direct you to the legacy united site with TravelBank option.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 1:56 am

It does. But my problem is, that option doesnt show up at all with the starting segment being a codeshare flight. If i remove that segment, i see the travel bank option. But then that departure point wouldnt work for me.
Old Jan 2, 22, 6:15 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Credits are most certainly not sponsored by United or any other airline. If anything, this is great for United as there's basically no relationship between UA and AMEX and this gets AMEX users to spend on United. If you're a United flyer, AMEX offers little.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 8:03 am

It is beyond me why UA removed this option; the entire TravelBank program seemed like it existed only to capture airline fee credits from Amex. I am sure these represented 95%+ of TB purchases. A truly bizarre decision.
Old Jan 2, 22, 8:28 am

Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Punekar View Post
It is beyond me why UA removed this option; the entire TravelBank program seemed like it existed only to capture airline fee credits from Amex. I am sure these represented 95%+ of TB purchases. A truly bizarre decision.
Honestly, you could make that case for almost all the loopholes, across all the airlines, that have been closed over the years (e.g. AA giftcards, etc.). I would imagine, though I have no formal knowledge, that at times there may be some tension on the line between Amex and the participating carriers regarding closing blatantly obvious loopholes that Amex has explicitly stated violate the terms and conditions of the airline credit.

That said, as I mentioned in another thread, if the UA Travel Bank (or an equivalent replacement) is truly gone, it may very well mark the end of my ~15'ish year run with the Amex Platinum card. Given the increased annual fee of $695 and the ridiculous trend towards it becoming a "coupon book" it may have finally just become a river too far...

Regards
gtran26, jags86, 36902BRF and 7 others like this.

Search this Thread