Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I found this same effort trying to apply my SO 200$ yearly credit to MY Travel Bank account.. didn’t work and at this point I’m not going to add her card to my account just for this.
why not?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by eucades
Bought $100x1 on personal plat on 1/31 as well with no meter movement or credit yet, will update if there's any changes

Update Feb 5 Morning: Still no meter update, the transaction looks to have fully processed as well, so it's possibly dead now. The transaction looks the same as it did last year when the reimbursement happened, so maybe there was some internal change starting Jan 31.

Update Feb 6 Morning: Reimbursement went through, I didn't have any meter update the day before, but it's dated for Feb 5. Gonna do another 1x$100 today to get the whole credit
Got my second credit today, so I'll see everyone next year. The meter didn't update the day prior to the credit showing up like some have stated in the past. Summarized dates below:

Jan 31: Bought $100x1
Feb 6: $100x1 Credit Applied (dated Feb 5)

Feb 6: Bought Additional $100x1
Feb 11: $100x1 Credit Applied (dated Feb 10)
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:54 am

$100 TB charge posted 2/7

Credited on 2/10
Old Feb 12, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
2/7: bought $100 TravelBank on Aspire card
2/12: credit appeared, dated 2/11 (but was not visible until 2/12)
I still have no meter on the Benefits page, which seems to be an Aspire-specific issue (and I won't ask AMEX because that would start them nosing into stuff)
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:24 am

Feb 8: 2 x $100 TB charges posted
Feb 13: Meter on dashboard moved ('succesfully earned $200 credit for the year') and credits applied (with credit date Feb 12).
Was concerned this might be dead based on some earlier posts here, but glad to see it's alive and well.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:52 pm

Feb 14 - $100 with Aspire
-pending as “United Electric Ticketing”
-posted as “United Airlines Houston TX”
- meter moved feb 19 by $100
-credit posted feb 20 with a date of Feb 18

Feb 15 - $100 and $50 with Aspire
- meter moved feb 20th
- credited posted feb 21 with a date of feb 19

Last edited by sbellotti84; Feb 21, 2022 at 6:46 am
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Biz plat:

2 x $100 charged 2/9.

Credit received dated 2/13. Did not show in account until 2/14.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hilton Aspire:

2 X $100 and 1 X $50 for TravelBank

Purchase 2/5
Meter moved on 2/10
Credits posted on 2/11
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by HHonored1
Hilton Aspire:
2 X $100 and 1 X $50 for TravelBank
Congratulations. FWIW, 1 x $250 works just as well and takes much less time (and less aggravation).
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
2 X $100 Feb 12
Credit posted Feb 16
Hilton Aspire

$50 done a week earlier
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:11 am

I had $50x4 transactions and both my wife and I's Platinums on Feb 11 and they have not posted yet.

We both did just contact Amex to change our airline to United earlier that day. Did we not wait long enough?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:32 pm

I believe you’re supposed to wait 24h iirc. Hopefully someone can chime in. I’d wait it out.

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I had $50x4 transactions and both my wife and I's Platinums on Feb 11 and they have not posted yet.

We both did just contact Amex to change our airline to United earlier that day. Did we not wait long enough?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold

Originally Posted by sbellotti84
I believe you’re supposed to wait 24h iirc. Hopefully someone can chime in. I’d wait it out.
This is a YMMV situation. There are many datapoints of people who charged their cards immediately after changing to united and recent the credit. There are even those who realized after they purchased TB that they hadn't changed to united and changed it then while the charge was pending and then still got the credit.

But then there are datapoints for those who didn't receive the credit when charging immediately after changing to united. Only after they waited and there was no reimbursement did they redo the charge and did receive the credit, thus leading some to believe that you must wait at least 24 hours prior to putting the charge through in order to receive the credit.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
This is a YMMV situation. There are many datapoints of people who charged their cards immediately after changing to united and recent the credit. There are even those who realized after they purchased TB that they hadn't changed to united and changed it then while the charge was pending and then still got the credit.

But then there are datapoints for those who didn't receive the credit when charging immediately after changing to united. Only after they waited and there was no reimbursement did they redo the charge and did receive the credit, thus leading some to believe that you must wait at least 24 hours prior to putting the charge through in order to receive the credit.
Interesting. Not sure if I should wait or try another $50 load.

I'm guessing we don't really want to contact Amex, right?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:37 pm

I'm guessing we don't really want to contact Amex, right?
AmEx will not help you, b/c this charge does not officially qualify for reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.