Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:47 am

redeeming travel bank

I was able to load the travelbank 4x$100 from two different platinum cards, I got the reimbursement all is well on that end.
Has anyone successfully redeemed the money in 2022? I am trying to book a flight and cannot find the option to pay by travel bank anywhere on browser or app.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flightsandnights
I,,,,I am trying to book a flight and cannot find the option to pay by travel bank anywhere on browser or app.
Review this thread in the United Airlines forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...sit-funds.html
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I was able to load the travelbank 4x$100 from two different platinum cards, I got the reimbursement all is well on that end.
Has anyone successfully redeemed the money in 2022? I am trying to book a flight and cannot find the option to pay by travel bank anywhere on browser or app.
Yes, just booked flights on Friday and was able to pay using TB in the app. These were UA metal flights.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
make sure there are no partner flights on the booking. UA TB can only be used for UA flights.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:44 am

DP Schwab Platinum/Vanilla Plat/Biz Plat:
1/28 $100 posted
1/28 $100 posted
1/31 Meter moved on all of them.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 1:06 pm

Personal Vanilla Plat:

1/24 bought E+ bundle $85
1/27 Meter moved
1/28 $85 credit posted
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Personal Vanilla Plat:

1/24 bought E+ bundle $85
1/27 Meter moved
1/28 $85 credit posted
Wow that's one of the few folks who used the fee reimbursement for the intended purpose!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
DP for Hilton Aspire card:
  • Changed airline choice from another airline to United, and added my Amex as a payment option on united.com on 26 January
  • Purchased $250 travel bank credit in one transaction on 28 January
  • Fee reimbursement dated 31 January
  • Fee reimbursement actually appeared in the transaction list today, 1 February
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
make sure there are no partner flights on the booking. UA TB can only be used for UA flights.
This, although I swore at one point last year, when they loosened restrictions on ETC/FFC, I was given the option to use TB on a reservation that had an AC segment. I didn't end up booking, so have no idea what would have happened if I tried.

There's also been reports of it not showing up as an option when UAX flights are part of the itinerary. Seems not all the time, but sometimes. There may have been a similar issue a couple of years or so ago. I have not done a lot of bookings recently, but have, when looking, seen the option, even on all UAX itins. If using regular website, can try using the legacy payment page (there's a link by payment options) to see if it shows there. I have also seen it as an option for sure on the app when a UAX segment was there as well.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Microwave
DP for Hilton Aspire card:
  • Changed airline choice from another airline to United, and added my Amex as a payment option on united.com on 26 January
  • Purchased $250 travel bank credit in one transaction on 28 January
  • Fee reimbursement dated 31 January
  • Fee reimbursement actually appeared in the transaction list today, 1 February
Did yours show up as "united airlines houston tx"? I made my order on Plat 4 days ago, charge just showed up as posted but no credit yet.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Did yours show up as "united airlines houston tx"? I made my order on Plat 4 days ago, charge just showed up as posted but no credit yet.
My $100 Travelbank purchase on one of my personal plats posted (transaction made Jan 30), but my $100x2 on the other personal plat did not post (Jan 31). I also have a $11.20 charge (for a miles redemption) on the second plat from Jan 31, and that was credited on Feb 2, so I'm wondering whether something changed across Jan 30/31. I'm trying again with my biz plat today.

Edit: Jan 31 posted on Feb 5!

Last edited by yubo56; Feb 7, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by yubo56
My $100 Travelbank purchase on one of my personal plats posted (transaction made Jan 30), but my $100x2 on the other personal plat did not post (Jan 31). I also have a $11.20 charge (for a miles redemption) on the second plat from Jan 31, and that was credited on Feb 2, so I'm wondering whether something changed across Jan 30/31. I'm trying again with my biz plat today.
Bought $100x1 on personal plat on 1/31 as well with no meter movement or credit yet, will update if there's any changes

Update Feb 5 Morning: Still no meter update, the transaction looks to have fully processed as well, so it's possibly dead now. The transaction looks the same as it did last year when the reimbursement happened, so maybe there was some internal change starting Jan 31.

Update Feb 6 Morning: Reimbursement went through, I didn't have any meter update the day before, but it's dated for Feb 5. Gonna do another 1x$100 today to get the whole credit

Last edited by eucades; Feb 6, 2022 at 7:24 am Reason: Update
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:54 pm

Same here. Bought 2x$100 on 1/31, personal platinum, still nothing. It shows up as "United Airlines Houston TX".
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MilosWorldwide
Same here. Bought 2x$100 on 1/31, personal platinum, still nothing. It shows up as "United Airlines Houston TX".

For what it's worth, I checked the transaction on a successful Gold Amex Airline Fee reimbursement from Jan 2021. It also showed up as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX" as well. Coded as a "Special Service Ticket Flight".

I've got an open DP transaction on Platinum AMEX.
2x Feb 1 - $100 transactions.
Meter Move - pending
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:30 pm

I finally experienced the "Transaction Not Successful" error while trying to load TB. There is also NO pending charge on my AmEx card, and the TB balance has not changed. Is this in line with what other folks experienced with this error, or did this purchase really not go through at all?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.