Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 22, 10:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 18, 22, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 View Post
There are countless data points of people not waiting 24 hours and not getting the credit even though they received the email. Don't risk it, wait 24 hours
I doubt it's because they didn't wait 24 hours. Because there are as many data points of people who realized after they charged their card that they hadn't selected UA and quickly changed it while it was pending and still got the credits. (And that was me once too.)
Old Jan 18, 22, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
I doubt it's because they didn't wait 24 hours. Because there are as many data points of people who realized after they charged their card that they hadn't selected UA and quickly changed it while it was pending and still got the credits. (And that was me once too.)
welp it's random and there's a ton of data points to back it up. I didn't wait 24 hours once and made an immediate purchase, no reimbursement. Made the same purchase the next day and reimbursed
Old Jan 18, 22, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret View Post
That would be me. It's been 10 days with no meter change or credit 😕
Get on chat and ask them to review.

TD
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:02 am

"Payment failed"

When i try to buy I get "payment failed" using different credit cards (so not a card issue).
Any idea why? I bought last month to get 2021 credits.

EDIT: I added the card to my United profile, then came to travel bank and bought, it went through. Didnt have to do that before.

Last edited by BIZDOCK; Jan 19, 22 at 6:35 am
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave View Post
Get on chat and ask them to review.

TD
NO! Don't point out that something that shouldn't be reimbursed is usually reimbursed by the system.
aquanine and RK23 like this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by BIZDOCK View Post
When i try to buy I get "payment failed" using different credit cards (so not a card issue).
Any idea why? I bought last month to get 2021 credits.

EDIT: I added the card to my United profile, then came to travel bank and bought, it went through. Didnt have to do that before.
I had to do the same thing. Probably a bug in the Travel Bank side.
Old Jan 19, 22, 7:52 pm

Just submitted a $50 charge on my aspire. Amex showing charge as "United Electronic Ticketing" instead of special service ticket. Fingers crossed
Old Jan 19, 22, 9:00 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sesame View Post
....Amex showing charge as "United Electronic Ticketing" ....
This is normal. After the transaction posts (not while it is pending) look at it with a browser on a computer (not in an app on a phone or tablet), and click the transaction to view the details. That is where Special Services Ticket is displayed. It is a transaction type -not- the name of the merchant.
Old Jan 20, 22, 1:26 am

Programs: AA-1MM, AF-Gold, Hyatt Glob
15Jan - 2 x $100 UA TB charged
18Jan - 2 x $100 UA Airline Fee Reimbursed
gm9928 and driptoohard like this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Here's a pretty interesting data point.

I was booking 2 one-way flights for two people.

In one direction, I booked economy using Travel Bank, then separately purchased E+ on my Amex Plat and got reimbursed. It posted as "United Airlines."

In the other direction, I booked first class. I tried to purchase the whole thing (about $950) with Travel Bank, but after I clicked "buy now" it would just spin indefinitely. This happened on multiple browsers. Then I decided to put $900 on Travel Bank and the rest on the Amex Plat and it went through. The really remarkable thing is that the part I put on my Amex Plat was reimbursed! It posted as "United Electronic Ticketing."
Old Jan 20, 22, 12:40 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJ804 View Post
....It posted as "United Airlines."........It posted as "United Electronic Ticketing."
To understand why these were reimbursed please look at the transactions on americanexpress.com, click to expand each, and read the description. This won't work using the Amex app or a mobile device, it needs to be done with a browser on a computer.
Old Jan 20, 22, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJ804 View Post
In the other direction, I booked first class. I tried to purchase the whole thing (about $950) with Travel Bank, but after I clicked "buy now" it would just spin indefinitely. This happened on multiple browsers. Then I decided to put $900 on Travel Bank and the rest on the Amex Plat and it went through. The really remarkable thing is that the part I put on my Amex Plat was reimbursed! It posted as "United Electronic Ticketing."
I reported on something similar happening to me last year - you can search the 2021 thread for details. I forget the exact amounts, but used some form of UA credit (canít remember if it was FFC, TravelBank or ETC, or some combo thereof) to pay, with balance on plat card, on a couple of itins and got reimbursed as well. I know one was a 3-pax PNR and total owed was ~$30 - these posted as 3 $10.XX transactions and got reimbursed. I canít remember the other instance, but it was a relatively small amount - maybe another $20-30 of balance that got reimbursed as well. Iím not sure how the Ďsystemí determines what transactions are supposed to count or not, but I suspect the low dollar amount might have the system believe itís a fee vs. an actual ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 22, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer View Post
I searched but cannot find the answer. Does the UA "Bundle Offers" trigger the reimbursement? The one I'm looking at combines E+ seating with UC access, which separately would trigger the credit. However, I am saving some money by purchasing together. (Cannot use TravelBank to purchase - it doesn't allow it as a payment option.)
I am answering my own question. Tested it out on the Aspire. The UA Bundle I purchased does trigger the Amex credit. Since TravelBank doesn't work with Bundles, you can purchase the Bundle directly on your Amex card. Woo!
SPN Lifer and mia like this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 12:56 pm

Personal Platinum

1/17 - Purchased $100
1/22 - Credit posted (dated 1/21)
gm9928 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 22, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Personal play data point:

1/17: purchased TB
1/22: received credit
gm9928 likes this.