Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:07 pm

I keep getting this error "Payment failed - Please try again." Is anyone having this issue, I'm trying to do this with my Platinum card.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by snaga
I keep getting this error "Payment failed - Please try again." Is anyone having this issue, I'm trying to do this with my Platinum card.
If you would take the time to actually read this thread or do a simple search for "payment failed", you would easily find that this was recently discussed.

Scroll back to this post and read forward.

Solution is in post 534.
snaga and lsquare like this.

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 15, 2022 at 9:43 pm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:46 am

added card as default It did not solve the problem

good thing have one year to solve -LOL
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
added card as default It did not solve the problem

good thing have one year to solve -LOL
Now it worked-,guess needed time to update -hope next year will be easy as in past years
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:54 am

Another DP:

1/12 - Purchased $100 TB

1/13 - Posted

1/15 - Credit refunded

my meter is broken and says I've already used my credit for the year and has said that but I have $50 left!
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:56 am

1/12 - 2 x $100 purchased with Amex Biz Plat
1/13 - posted
1/15 - credit received, meter updated. Now on to the personal platinum.

Edit: When attempting my personal right now, I received the payment error issue others have. I added the credit card to my saved united payment methods, restarted the process, and it worked. No disconnection from VPN required.

Last edited by felizpicano; Jan 16, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:03 pm

Biz and personal Plat, 2 x $100 each plus Aspire $250:

1/12 purchased
1/15 meter moved
1/16 credit posted dated 1/15

This seems to be the current pattern for UA TB purchases.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:55 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
DP
All Amex rebates posted
PP x 4
BzP x6
for mine as well as friends and family took 3 days total for most
Time to close most cards once new AF hits this year
First Bz Plat card fees are on the 19th - so just in time
Now to do something with 2k in UA TB
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Reimbursed in 4 days for Biz Plat and Personal Plat, 2 x $100 on each card.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just adding another data point: still receiving payment failed message when using my Aspire (not previously added to my UA account), but no issues processing a second TravelBank charge on my AMEX Plat (previously added to my UA account).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:32 pm

1/11 - changed airline to UA
1/11 - 5 min later, 2 x $100 purchased with Amex Plat (not sure when it posted)

1/16 - still waiting for credits and meter to move
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by fupaking
1/11 - changed airline to UA
1/11 - 5 min later, 2 x $100 purchased with Amex Plat (not sure when it posted)

1/16 - still waiting for credits and meter to move
Did you receive an email confirming your selection? Does your account currently show UA as your selected airline?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Did you receive an email confirming your selection? Does your account currently show UA as your selected airline?
No email confirmation,
My account does show UA as my selected airline.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:06 pm

Thumbs up thank you.

Originally Posted by friedablass
If you would take the time to actually read this thread or do a simple search for "payment failed", you would easily find that this was recently discussed.

Scroll back to this post and read forward.

Solution is in post 534.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by fupaking
No email confirmation,
My account does show UA as my selected airline.
If you didn't receive an email and assuming you didn't check your online account to confirm your selection at time of charging then you have no way of knowing that UA was your airline when the charge posted. Perhaps the change only happened and went into effect thereafter.

There are a vast amount of posts with data points of UA TB transactions successfully being reimbursed over and over again, for many of us on 5 or more cards. There are even posts where people chose and confirmed UA as their airline AFTER the TB charge (while it was still pending) but before it posted and they got the credit. This happened to me a few years ago on one of my cards and I quickly changed to UA and got confirmation email and credit received as well.

But then you see posts here and there of the reimbursement not successfully happening and my hunch is that there was an issue with the airline selection at the time their charge posted. I'm not saying this is true in your case or maybe even for any of the cases but it would definitely be a valid explanation for why this sometimes happens because it personally doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.