Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 22, 10:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 22, 9:42 am

The gift registry was down for a long time, and then suddenly the Travel Bank was brought back online once the pandemic hit and United desperately needed cash. With the latest surge they may see a steep drop in bookings, and I expect in a few weeks or months the TravelBank will be back online to take your (well, Amex's) cash.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jan 1, 22, 9:57 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL DM, UA lice <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ RR G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Talking

That is all well and good but does not help me, I was trying to mop up the 200$ before the fee hits in February
:-)
The UA travel Bank was the easiest 200$ -I would buy 100$ x2 on the family cards and then 2 days later all done!
Any good ideas now deeply appreciated
The DL and WN options are not easy
For DL you need to buy a gift card - then pay from that card then add funds from Amex - then the funds disappear in 1 yr when you cancel ticket
WN - you have to progressively book more and more expensive tickets and pay with Amex !

Gets a bit complex with 10 cards for family and friends
Help!
can we start a petition to UA from Amex freeloaders (I mean card holders) asking for travel bank?

Originally Posted by freemanzhu View Post
The gift registry was down for a long time, and then suddenly the Travel Bank was brought back online once the pandemic hit and United desperately needed cash. With the latest surge they may see a steep drop in bookings, and I expect in a few weeks or months the TravelBank will be back online to take your (well, Amex's) cash.
This offer has ended This special offer is no longer available.

Last edited by ffI; Jan 1, 22 at 10:30 am
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Since the ‘21 thread is dead, I’ll just post my recent experience here - the TB offer being ‘expired’ is pretty new. I had ~$84 of my Amex credit left, purchased $100 TB normally on December 26, and credit posted on Dec. 28 (visible to me on 29th). Glad I beat the [unannounced] expiration.
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ffI View Post
That is all well and good but does not help me, I was trying to mop up the 200$ before the fee hits in February
The UA travel Bank was the easiest 200$ -I would buy 100$ x2 on the family cards and then 2 days later all done!
Any good ideas now deeply appreciated
The DL and SW options are not easy
For DL you need to buy a gift card - then pay from that card then add funds from Amex - then the funds disappear in 1 yr when you cancel ticket
B6 - you have to progressively book more and more expensive tickets and pay with Amex !

Gets a bit complex with 10 cards for family and friends
Help!
can we start a petition to UA from Amex freeloaders (I mean card holders) asking for travel bank?

This offer has ended This special offer is no longer available.
wn is the only easy way left other than actually using it for valid purchases
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:18 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Been using WN last year with plans to use UA this year so hopefully Travel bank comes back. But holding on switching my airline choice on Amex till it does and hopefully others report back
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mia View Post
United has apparently suspended TravelBank deposits. See the 2021 thread, begining at post 1171: Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)
Yes, I am aware of this. Pretty disappointing, and I hope this is temporary as I got a bunch of cards with airline credits that I want to use with UA TB. If not, I guess that's the point of this thread, right? Figure out what will work with UA airline credit?
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Yes, I am aware of this. Pretty disappointing, and I hope this is temporary as I got a bunch of cards with airline credits that I want to use with UA TB. If not, I guess that's the point of this thread, right? Figure out what will work with UA airline credit?
the next question will now be about the 18 month rule. If you last purchased using the travel bank 12 months ago do you have to use some now within 6 months or risk everything removed?
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:34 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL DM, UA lice <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ RR G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
Been using WN last year with plans to use UA this year so hopefully Travel bank comes back. But holding on switching my airline choice on Amex till it does and hopefully others report back
How do you use WN credits?
what happens when you cancel the tickets - do you get the funds back on the card or does WN keep it as a deposit in your funds wallet or do they keep individual ticket credits for flights?
Here is what I understand

First set Amex airline to WN in Jan
Option 1
Buy a cheap 99$ fare - wait 2 -3 days for credit from Amex
Cancel fare on WN- get travel funds on WN valid for 1 yr
Issues - fare expires 1 yr from purchase of original ticket
So if I have 3 cards in family - get the ticket 30 days before annual fee hits for each card

Option 2 - do it all now
Find a cheap anytime fare below $100 get amex credit
cancel later - get funds back to card and get money back from Amex

Either way a lot of work but free cash is free - especially if your time is worthless
Any corrections welcome
Is my thinking right on that one?
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032 View Post
the next question will now be about the 18 month rule. If you last purchased using the travel bank 12 months ago do you have to use some now within 6 months or risk everything removed?
How do I check which portion of my TB balance will be expiring?
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:39 am

Is my thinking right on that one?
amex will claw back refunds to the card sometimes years after you have canceled the card
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How do I check which portion of my TB balance will be expiring?
that's the thing, you can't. And to be honest no one knows if the 18 month activity rule is even valid for the travelbank or just left over wording from prior registries
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that's the thing, you can't. And to be honest no one knows if the 18 month activity rule is even valid for the travelbank or just left over wording from prior registries
That sucks. I have almost $1k in my TB. I guess I gotta start using them soon!
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:49 am
ffI

amex will claw back refunds to the card sometimes years after you have canceled the card
Then it still makes sense to get travel credit on airlines and not cancel ticket for refunds - I just feel the risk free money back on UA is over - damn UA why not hold our money in travel bank?
So the question is which is best option now - DL flight credits or WN flight credits?
808traveler likes this.
Old Jan 1, 22, 11:38 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have copied in two dozen posts from 12.31.2021 to provide context for the suspension of TravelBank contributions, which occurred yesterday. I have also copied in the Wikipost from the 2021 thread and lightly edited it to update the TravelBank status. I am not a UA flyer. Other updates may be needed, please make them now rather than waiting for someone else to do the work. Without TravelBank we will need reliable information about other expenses that are reimbursed.
SPN Lifer, ffI, lsquare and 2 others like this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 1, 22 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 1, 22, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
How does that work? Can't send a bill for an account that no longer exists. I suppose they could ask nicely and go to collections if you refuse...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread