Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:09 pm

01/03 $250 purchase on Travel Bank with Aspire card (1 transaction) made the meter move just recently.
neo848943 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:15 pm

Did 2x $100 in UA Travel Bank with vanilla Platinum Personal on 1/3. Haven't received credits yet, but now seeing this message in place of the empty meter:
Congratulations!

You've successfully earned the $200 airline fee credit for the calendar year.
I think we're back in business
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:09 pm

Meter moved on my Aspire $50 purchase. Credit still not applied.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
Just checked . Under benefits it states I have earned my $200 credit for airlines but I have not received the $200 under payment . It still shows I owe $200
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Meter moved on my Aspire $50 purchase. Credit still not applied.
typically, meter moves and credit dated the same day, but isn’t visible until day after.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Same boat as everyone else. Purchase $100 on P2's Amex Plat through the travelbank on 1/3, showed up as United Electronic Ticketing and now my meter moved. Going to just be a little more patient and wait for the actual credit to post and use the balance on the Plat plus our Aspire cards. Glad it seems this is sticking around for at least 1 more year (and hopefully more).
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
January 7, 2021, 11:17 PM EST, Hilton Aspire: $250

January 7, 2021, 11:35 PM EST, Business Platinum: $100

January 7, 2021, 11:40 PM EST, Business Platinum: $100

January 7, 2021, 11:47 PM EST, Platinum: $100

January 7, 2021, 11:49 PM EST, Platinum: $100

All show up as "United Electronic Ticketing" under pending transactions.

Hopefully, everything will work out, and I'll get my credits for 2022. I'll keep you guys posted! 🤞🤞
DasApache47 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
January 7, 2021, 11:17 PM EST, Hilton Aspire: $250

January 7, 2021, 11:35 PM EST, Business Platinum: $100

January 7, 2021, 11:40 PM EST, Business Platinum: $100

January 7, 2021, 11:47 PM EST, Platinum: $100

January 7, 2021, 11:49 PM EST, Platinum: $100

Hopefully, everything will work out, and I'll get my credits for 2022. I'll keep you guys posted! 🤞🤞

I thought we needed to keep the charges at $100 or below? Did you charge $250 as one charge on your Aspire card?

TD
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought we needed to keep the charges at $100 or below? Did you charge $250 as one charge on your Aspire card?

TD
Yes.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare (Post # 250)
Who is this guy? Let's have a name. Every year, there is a guy somewhere unnecessarily drawing attention to this. It's so annoying. Yes, AMEX knows, but the more people that do this, the more likely, AMEX will want to close this.

I still want as little attention on UA TB as possible.
The FlyerTalk Terms and Conditions prohibit discussing or criticizing other FlyerTalkers. In the FlyerTalk UA Forum there is a thread on the Travel Bank.

However, as others have posted upthread, the existence of this and prior year threads on FlyerTalk are at least as likely to have alerted AmEx to this use of its airline credits as any ill-considered customer contacts with calling centers.

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post # 367)
A review of the prior year thread(s) will disclose that $250 purchases with the Hilton Aspire AmEx are routine. ​​​​​​
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The FlyerTalk Terms and Conditions prohibit discussing or criticizing other FlyerTalkers. In the FlyerTalk UA Forum there is a thread on the Travel Bank.

However, as others have posted upthread, the existence of this and prior year threads on FlyerTalk are at least as likely to have alerted AmEx to this use of its airline credits as any ill-considered customer contacts with calling centers.

A review of the prior year thread(s) will disclose that $250 purchases with the Hilton Aspire AmEx are routine. ​​​​​​
I guess we'll find out next week. I'm really hoping I'll get the 2022 credits sorted out this week and then not think about this again until 2023!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I also did a $250 Aspire charge to UA TB.

Worked earlier, so precedent set.

Waiting to see...

Yes.

TD
January 7, 2021, 11:17 PM EST, Hilton Aspire: $250...

Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
The only reason to do $100 increments for Plat instead of $200 one time is that the purchase options of $200 is not given ($50, $100, $250, $500 …..).
$250 worked for me in the past no problems
lsquare and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:48 am
jk2

Well, no credit posted yet, BUT the banner shows that full credit was used!
lsquare and gtran26 like this.

Last edited by jk2; Jan 8, 2022 at 5:18 am
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by jk2
Well, no credit posted yes, BUT the banner shows that full credit was used!
Ah! Interesting...

Originally Posted by blitzen
The only reason to do $100 increments for Plat instead of $200 one time is that the purchase options of $200 is not given ($50, $100, $250, $500 …..).
$250 worked for me in the past no problems
Yes, I can easily do the $200 amount for 1 extra (international) piece of luggage - other amounts are difficult to accrue for other services...so this is why I did the Aspire for $250 and get it over with...
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:49 am
Suspended

1/5/22
-$100 Amex Plat Charge
-$50 Amex business Plat Charge

Currently, $0.00 Airline Fee Credit Earned :-(

Don't mind waiting for reimbursement, but disappointed I am not seeing my 'earned credit' moving from 0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.