Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by scubadu
Sure, agreed. I mean when I said, "beginning of the year" I didn't literally mean 12:01 AM, Jan 1st, but rather in January. Again, not saying this will stop working, but certainly UA has suspended Travel Bank in the past, so it would not be without precedence were it to occur.

Regards
Didn‘t they stop/suspend „gift registry“ and travel bank is the replacement ($ now expire etc)?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Is there an automated voice IVR system to load Travel Bank by phone? I think many are here to spend on air before midnight 2021, hence the sudden interest
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
Didn‘t they stop/suspend „gift registry“ and travel bank is the replacement ($ now expire etc)?
The Gift Registry seems to have been discontinued in October 2016: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27292967-post2325.html

The Travel Bank went live in June 2020: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32570327-post165.html

I don't think there is any reason to believe that United's decisions to open or close these features has anything to do with American Express.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG, Hilton, Marriott, Delta, AA, United
As usual I procrastinated on using my travel credits. I've been doing Southwest for the last couple of years, and saw this travel cash was an option now. So I bought SW with my Platinum and Gold cards a couple days ago, and I chatted with Amex and they changed my Aspire to United. Waited a day...but then I forgot to make the purchase today! Remembered just now and got the same "offer has ended" message. Really hope they bring it back up today but seems unlikely this late in the day. I might actually fly somewhere this year too...should have just stuck with Southwest.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I procrastinated too and it appears that I will leave $200 on the table of Amex, since UA decided to do some site maintenance on the last day of the year.

I will behave with more alacrity next year
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I procrastinated too and it appears that I will leave $200 on the table of Amex, since UA decided to do some site maintenance on the last day of the year.

the WN method still works well if you can change your chosen airline accordingly
Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by radonc1

I used to try to be "nice" about this and use the credit for its purpose (according to how Amex defines it) and then try to fill in with gift registry/gift card/travel bank purchases at the end of the year if I was short. But ever since UA suddenly discontinued the gift registry without warning, I just try to use up the entire credit in the first week of January. It's not worth risking it, and I will definitely be able to use any TB purchases over the course of the year because I fly UA enough.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Just tried, as I normally use my AMEX credits but this year with lack of travel still have $110 to use. Got the same message "This offer has ended". Maybe I'll buy a United Club pass or 2 even though you can pick them up on eBay for like $20 but better than nothing.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by levilevi
- I bought $200 TB via Biz Plat Dec 2021, and I did another $200 Dec 2022.... does that second purchase "restart" my 18 month clock for the whole "bank" of $400?
In the United app > My Wallet > TravelBank Cash, you'll see your Cash Balance and 5 yr expiration date.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
- I bought $200 TB via Biz Plat Dec 2021, andif I did another $200 Dec 2022.... does that second purchase "restart" my 18 month clock for the whole "bank" of $400?/QUOTE]

In the United app > My Wallet > TravelBank Cash, you'll see your Cash Balance and 5 yr expiration date.
yes but the expiration dates remain the same
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:44 am

TB Dead again

I guess this is dead again, hopefully it's just maintanence but it would suck to lose TB since WN travelfunds only lasts a year versus 5 years on TB.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:53 am

Friend did call United. They told it is suspended for now (and not maintenance). I hope the suspension is temporary.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

It's the start of a new year, and it's time for a new thread. I am looking forward to more discussion about UA reimbursements in 2022!
alita likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:52 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
They did this last year, too. Let's just se how things proceed
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by NDN
They did this last year, too. Let's just se how things proceed
last year purchases weren't reimbursed by amex for a short while. This is completely different
zxrst and 36902BRF like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.