Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by myworld
Did anyone’s Airlines credit meter moved yet for those with posted charges now ?
thanks in advance.
Deposited morning of 1/3 and meter has NOT moved yet.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ewrp12
Same here. Checked this morning, no movement. Getting antsy lol.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by STS-134
Same here. Checked this morning, no movement. Getting antsy lol.
Deposited as in AMEX gave you guys the credit without moving the meter?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: BA
Given that mileage no longer expires after 18 months of inactivity, why would the TravelBank? I was under the impression that the underlying account would expire after 18 months of inactivity, but they did away with that?

At any rate, I am of the opinion that funds purchased directly with a credit card shouldn't expire at all. They aren't vouchers or promotional funds.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This page now displays additional text in the Terms & Conditions link: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Members can choose from six purchase amount options and once purchased the value remains valid for five years from the date it is deposited in your TravelBank account. Purchases are not refundable and are limited to $5,000 per day per MileagePlus account. This purchase is also subject to all of the TravelBank terms and conditions. United has the right to terminate this promotion or to change the promotion’s terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, benefits, and/or conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice.
The full terms are still here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ravelbank.html
hurnik, levilevi and aquanine like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:22 pm

In the full terms it has this so I guess it means they expire after 5 years?

TravelBank Cash expiration

1. TravelBank Cash accrued in a Member's TravelBank account shall be maintained in the account until they are redeemed or until they expire, whichever occurs first.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by monet33
In the full terms it has this so I guess it means they expire after 5 years?

TravelBank Cash expiration

1. TravelBank Cash accrued in a Member's TravelBank account shall be maintained in the account until they are redeemed or until they expire, whichever occurs first.
My travel bank shows expirations throughout 2026.
redcorns likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think it means funds "deposited" into the TB account, i.e. purchase was made?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
I think it means funds "deposited" into the TB account, i.e. purchase was made?
So no AMEX credit yet?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
So no AMEX credit yet?
My charges posted this morning. I expect the credit to follow within 2-3 days or so. It's never been instant in my experience.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:37 pm

Deposited meaning I deposited funds into TravelBank, I have not received credit from Amex nor has the meter moved.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
My charges posted this morning. I expect the credit to follow within 2-3 days or so. It's never been instant in my experience.
Deposited meaning I deposited funds into TravelBank, I have not received credit from Amex nor has the meter moved.
I am crossing my fingers for you guys tomorrow then!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:01 pm

I am crossing my fingers for you guys tomorrow then!
Meter should move tomorrow

Timeline for this credit usually goes like this:

Day 1 : Buy TB funds
Day 2: Charge Pending
Day 3: Charge Posts
Day 4: Meter moves. Usually in the morning.
Day 5: Credit posts but is backdated to reflect Day 4.

We are currently in Day 3. Sometimes the credit posts the night of Day 4 but that can vary.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:25 pm

My charge made Tuesday went from pending to posted today. The charge changed to UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX. This is good news. Everything looks to have posted just like my 2021 charges I made December 26th. Should see the credit post tomorrow. Fingers crossed 🤞

TD
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by cruisr
My travel bank shows expirations throughout 2026.
Where are you seeing the expiration dates? I just see a balance.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.