FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: DL only (2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2063843-airline-fee-250-200-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2022-a.html)

lsquare Jan 1, 2022 1:58 am

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: DL only (2022)

It's the start of a new year, and it's time for a new thread. I am looking forward to more discussion about DL reimbursements in 2022!

EasternTraveler Jan 1, 2022 6:01 am

Happy new year, bring on the datapoints.

ffI Jan 1, 2022 10:01 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33859988)
It's the start of a new year, and it's time for a new thread. I am looking forward to more discussion about DL reimbursements in 2022!

OP, Can we have a brief summary on the first post explaining how this has worked in the past year?

When I read the posts for 2020-21 it is usually mia or GUWonder who seem to know all the tricks of the trade on DL.
Travel Bank on UA was good for 5 yrs so it was almost good as cash - with a 1 yr ecredit expiry and ongoing pandemic then it will be more hit and miss.

chris30269 Jan 1, 2022 10:19 am

Should we just copy/paste the wiki? Or just link the old one?

Zorak Jan 1, 2022 10:31 am

Originally Posted by chris30269 (Post 33860888)
Should we just copy/paste the wiki?

Done.

lsquare Jan 1, 2022 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 33860830)
OP, Can we have a brief summary on the first post explaining how this has worked in the past year?

When I read the posts for 2020-21 it is usually mia or GUWonder who seem to know all the tricks of the trade on DL.
Travel Bank on UA was good for 5 yrs so it was almost good as cash - with a 1 yr ecredit expiry and ongoing pandemic then it will be more hit and miss.

With UA TB gone, I'm going to need some dp for DL for now. I got a bunch of airline credits that will need to be used.

Originally Posted by chris30269 (Post 33860888)
Should we just copy/paste the wiki? Or just link the old one?

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 33860924)
Done.

Thank you.

ffI Jan 1, 2022 10:44 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 33860924)
Done.

• taxes on award flights (including the $5.60 September 11 security fee)
So if I am a DL Skymiles Platinum Medallion - set airline to Amex - Book tickets from UK - with high award fees - on Amex - get credit - Wait a month - cancel ? - As simple as that?
or
set airline to Amex for all cards in Jan - use a 50$ gift card - book 250$ ticket - refund in 3 days - then cancel in 1 month or so - restart again with next ticket on next card - repeat and rinse?
But this time I get only flight credits on DL for each ticket and not cash back

Gertjaars Jan 1, 2022 10:52 am

1st DP for 2022?

Purchased: $950 DL Premium Select Ticket
Used: $450 E-credit
Charged: $500 on Plat, Posted as DELTA.COM ATLANTA, GA
Credit Meter: Shows $200 of credit has been used

Zorak Jan 1, 2022 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 33860972)
So if I am a DL Skymiles Platinum Medallion - set airline to Amex - Book tickets from UK - with high award fees - on Amex - get credit - Wait a month - cancel ? - As simple as that?

If you cancel an award ticket, the taxes will be refunded. I'm not sure if we have DPs but this seems more likely to lead to clawback.

set airline to Amex for all cards in Jan - use a 50$ gift card - book 250$ ticket - refund in 3 days - then cancel in 1 month or so - restart again with next ticket on next card - repeat and rinse?

This would work, but you don't have to start with a gift card -- an existing eCredit or unflown ticket works just as well. If the resulting funds are going to be used by the same passenger you can use $50 GC + credit card #1 to buy ticket 1, then change ticket 1 into ticket 2 and paying the extra amount with CC #2, and so on.

Zorak Jan 1, 2022 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars (Post 33861006)
1st DP for 2022?

Purchased: $950 DL Premium Select Ticket
Used: $450 E-credit
Charged: $500 on Plat, Posted as DELTA.COM ATLANTA, GA
Credit Meter: Shows $200 of credit has been used

Is this for a single passenger? This is a $500 add/collect and would not expect this to get the airline fee credit based on past experiences that the amount of the additional collection must be under $250 (or possibly exactly $250, don't think we know)

Did you use the fee credit last year? Wondering if they haven't reset it yet and the $200 used you're seeing is from 2021. Mine says $200 travel credit used but not sure if that's referring to the airline fee credit or the (targeted?) bonus $200 for AMEX Travel that they added last year.

EDIT: oh, I was missing the "Show More" button -- the $200 showing as used is indeed the AMEX Travel credit, not the airline fee credit. My bad.

josephstern Jan 1, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks
  • taxes on award flights (including the $5.60 September 11 security fee)
or

IME, for this to work, the flight has to originate in the US. Maybe it's a currency thing?

RT US-UK-US works every time.

Gertjaars Jan 1, 2022 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 33861021)
Is this for a single passenger? This is a $500 add/collect and would not expect this to get the airline fee credit based on past experiences that the amount of the additional collection must be under $250 (or possibly exactly $250, don't think we know)

Did you use the fee credit last year? Wondering if they haven't reset it yet and the $200 used you're seeing is from 2021. Mine says $200 travel credit used but not sure if that's referring to the airline fee credit or the (targeted?) bonus $200 for AMEX Travel that they added last year.

Single passenger, I did use the fee credit for last year. Mine showed $200 credit available this morning before I made the purchase

Zorak Jan 1, 2022 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars (Post 33861075)
Single passenger, I did use the fee credit for last year. Mine showed $200 credit available this morning before I made the purchase

Ah, indeed my airline fee credit meter is reset to $0 (I edited my previous reply)

Well this is certainly a novel DP then! will be interesting to see if it can be replicated.

lourod87 Jan 1, 2022 12:48 pm

Happy New Year!

I want to thank you all for your help in the old thread. I booked a few flights to use my airline credits on my personal plat, plat biz, and Hilton card. I booked on 12/30, hoping they would post in 2021 and they did!

No more cutting it close, I'm off to Bestbuy now to buy gift cards to take care of it early this year.

Thanks again!

ameskay Jan 1, 2022 4:50 pm

Just booked a DL flight, time will tell if it worked 🤞🏻

First of all, oddly DL was already selected in my AMEX benefits site, and it did not give me an option to select another airline. I thought we get to change the airline in the first month?

Anyway, I booked a refundable flight (because I am going to change it later for a flight that's more expensive anyway) with my eCredits, with about $225 going on my AMEX. There's nothing indicating that it worked yet (can't see if it posted as additional collection and the airline credit meter is still at $0/$200 used), but fingers crossed!

Will update once it clears.