Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: DL only (2022)

Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Previous versions of this thread:
2020-2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2020-21-a.html
2015-2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...15-2019-a.html

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. (Gold card $100 credit is gone as of 2022). Hilton Aspire AMEX is eligible for a $250 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

Additional Collections/Split Tender -- THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

TL;DR: Anything coded as an additional collection (a.k.a. add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed, provided that the amount charged to your card is $250 or less (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200, but always $250 or less -- exactly $250 is known to work)
How to do it: With waived fee for cancellation/changes on non-refundable tickets (due to COVID-19) you get an eCredit when cancelling it, so you can:
  1. Buy a non-refundable ticket with any combination of gift card/eCredit plus your AMEX, again provided that the residual amount charged to your card is $250 or less
  2. After credit has posted, and at least 48 hours after buying it, cancel it (ensure there's no fee for cancelling it) so you get an updated eCredit for the full ticket amount.
    • alternatively, if you buy a ticket far enough in the future, there is no particular need to cancel the ticket, just change it once you have some new dates or itinerary in mind (you can change origin, destination or both)
    • however, note that the waiver of change fees on Basic Economy tickets is ending: https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-p...sbeforeapril30
    • thus you should use main cabin tickets for this purpose (assuming DL does not extend the BE policy due to omicron etc.)
  3. You can even use the result of (2) as an eCredit to repeat step 1 with a different AMEX card if you have multiples. Note that in this context, changing an unflown future ticket is exactly equivalent to an eCredit in the amount of the ticket's value.
To re-iterate, you do not necessarily have to start with a gift card. As noted in step 1, an existing eCredit will work just as well; and changing an existing ticket is equivalent to using an eCredit. If you do not have an existing eCredit, you can easily create one by simply buying a cheap ticket (important: basic economy flexibility has ended as of Dec 2021, so you must buy main cabin for this to work). There are often $40-$50 one-ways available in shorthaul markets; see post 212 for a way to search for these by calendar on the new ITA Matrix interface (see post 108 for the old "classic" Matrix UI)

Gift cards purchased directly from Delta online are often not activated until 24-72 hours later as an anti-fraud measure. Physical gift cards purchased in retail stores (grocery, office, etc.) may activate sooner. Buying a cheap eCredit avoids these issues.

More details:
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed). This is just an example; as per the previous bullet there is no reason it needs to be specifically $50, or even a gift card. An existing eCredit, or modifying an unflown ticket, will work just as well. The "additional collection" is what leads to the credit, the reason why it is "additional" is unimportant.
    • In general, only additional collections less than ~$250 are automatically reimbursed. If you use a $50 gift card to buy a $500 ticket, a $450 additional collection will be generated but it will not be auto-reimbursed by Amex.
    • If you already have gift cards or ecredits in particular denominations that don't line up well with the price of the ticket you want to buy (additional collection will end up being too much to get auto-reimbursed or too little to efficiently use up the fee credit), consider whether you may be able to reach a better outcome by splitting up the purchase -- buying a round trip as two one ways or buying multiple passengers separately. But, note that buying 2 one-ways instead of a round trip can sometimes cost more, making it not worthwhile, and note the caveats about multiple passenger purchases below, as well as considering the risk that buying 2 passengers separately can have negative implications for Medallion upgrades (if applicable) as well as creating the risk that you are separated from your travel companions if there is a flight cancellation.
  • The "additional collection" transaction notation shows up after the transaction posts, on the website only (both desktop and mobile) if you click into a transaction to view the details (it does not appear in the app, or while the purchase is pending)
  • Note that special care is needed when booking tickets for 2 or more people in a single transaction.
    • When booking multiple people in a single transaction on Delta.com, each person's ticket charges to the credit card in a separate transaction, and gift cards are used starting with the first ticket until they are exhausted. So for example if you were booking 2x $210 tickets, for a total transaction of $420, if you used a $200 gift card the charges would post to Amex as a $10 additional collection on the first person and a $210 regular ticket charge for the second person, resulting in only a $10 reimbursement. For the same two tickets if you used a $230 gift card, the first person would be covered entirely by the gift card and the second person's ticket would charge as a $190 additional collection, resulting in a $190 reimbursement.
    • If for example you wanted to buy 2 $125 tickets ($250 total) using 2 $50 gift cards, if you bought both in a single transaction both gift cards would apply to the first ticket -- in order to get 2 $75 additional collection charges you would have to buy the 2 tickets in separate transactions using one gift card on each. Note that there may be other downsides to buying the tickets in separate transactions, including that you could be separated if there are schedule changes or day-of flight cancellations (Delta should be able to put you back together after the former, but may not be able to do after the latter), and there could be implications for how various benefits are treated, such as losing the ability to share a credit card holder bag fee wavier with companions or in some cases resulting in different rules around Medallion companion upgrades.
    • This would work differently if ecredits are used instead of gift cards since ecredits are not transferrable -- ecredits can only be applied to a ticket for a person whose name is on the ecredit; if other people are booked in the same transaction, any leftover ecredit balance will *not* be applied to those other people (and will remain as an ecredit in the account of the named person, available for future use).
    • Using Pay With Miles for multiple people works differently as well -- see this post for details.
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour[1] risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC) even if the ticket is non-refundable; also, Delta interprets the 24-hour risk free cancellation period generously -- you actually have until midnight of the day following the day of booking (in which time zone is oft-speculated but unclear). Thus, this can work out to nearly 48 hours if the timing is exactly right. Hence the suggestion above to cancel only after 48 hours, or avoid canceling altogether.
  • There is no particular reason to be in a rush to cancel the ticket. You can avoid the headache of guessing whether the risk-free period has passed by simply booking a ticket that is weeks or months in the future (just remember to cancel it, or change it to a ticket you actually intend to fly, before the flight time on the original ticket). Alternatively you can contact Delta and explicitly request an eCredit (they will be happy to hold on to your money even if you were theoretically eligible for a full refund)
  • FCM offers may require accepting for the entire trip (vs just one segment) or calling in to up-fare the whole trip (please post data points either way)

Paying for a ticket partially with SkyMiles

NOTE that DL has two different programs for partially paying with SkyMiles, that seem superficially similar, but are quite different
  • Pay With Miles is a feature available to DL-branded AMEX cardholders that lets you pay for part of your ticket using SkyMiles in increments of 5,000 miles = $50. If you use PWM then the remaining amount charged to your card posts as additional collection and will qualify for the fee credit (multiple data points)
  • Miles + Cash is like buying an award ticket but using cash to substitute for some of the miles. As an example, you might be offered a ticket for 40,000 miles + $5.60, or 30,000 miles + $205.60 (these numbers are made up). If you choose the latter option what you are really doing is buying 10,000 miles for $200, then using those 10,000 miles plus 30,000 that you already had to buy the 40,000 ticket + $5.60 in taxes. This will post as two separate transactions, $200 for the miles purchase, and $5.60 for the taxes on the award ticket. The $5.60 will be reimbursed (just like any other award ticket). The $200 seems like it does not get automatically reimbursed, although it may post as "Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase" in which case you have a pretty good case for getting it credited manually by contacting AMEX.
  • Note: Miles + Cash is usually a terrible value (even for SkyMiles)
  • See the list of FAQs at the bottom of the "Pay With Miles" page for more info (search in particular for "What is the difference between Pay with Miles and Miles + Cash?")

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights (including the $5.60 September 11 security fee)
  • in-flight purchases such as food and drinks
  • Wifi passes to the new Viasat system may reimburse; wifi purchases on the old Gogo system do not. More information about which provider is available on which plane can be found here; Viasat flights offer a $5 per flight pass while Gogo usually charges more than that and is purchased from a website with Gogo in the URL.
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499) trip extras have been discontinued
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182) SkyMiles Select is no longer available for purchase

these may not credit automatically, but people have had success getting them processed manually after the fact
  • seat purchase fees (if you buy an upgrade and it does not credit automatically and you call in, do not call it an upgrade, call it a seat purchase/assignment fee)
  • premium beverages purchased in the Sky Club (post 462)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: DL only (2022)

Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by scho7623
I saw a youtube video saying that buying a ticket less than $100 would trigger $200 airline fee credit, but it didn't trigger for me. Is it too early to tell or am I screwed?
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Did the YouTube video mention a specific airline? Because I think this has worked and may still work on Alaska (AS) or Southwest (WN) I don't think it's ever been the case on Delta.

If you scroll to the top of the thread you will see a wiki post containing lots of accumulated info, wisdom, and pitfalls on using the credit on DL, as well as links to corresponding threads on other airlines that you can look at to see if those would work better for you (if you haven't used any of the credit yet you may still be able to change your airline designation)
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Did the YouTube video mention a specific airline? Because I think this has worked and may still work on Alaska (AS) or Southwest (WN) I don't think it's ever been the case on Delta.

If you scroll to the top of the thread you will see a wiki post containing lots of accumulated info, wisdom, and pitfalls on using the credit on DL, as well as links to corresponding threads on other airlines that you can look at to see if those would work better for you (if you haven't used any of the credit yet you may still be able to change your airline designation)
Oh right.. the video shows an example of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines... so I might be screwed here
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyoverEasy
The short answer is yes, if you’re authorized to use his card. Don’t forget to read the wiki about multiple passengers and additional collection.
I'm not an authorized user per Amex i.e. an additional cardholder , but yes he gave me his acct # and is expect the offset. As non-flyer he does not want to leave the $250 on the table.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Another datapoint for the Pay With Miles feature.

18/01 - bought ticket for 248,60 USD using 5k miles with Pay With Miles. Put the remaining 198,60 USD on the Platinum Card
19/01 - charges posted as additional collection
21/01 - meter moved and 198,60 USD credit posted on account
PatrickTM likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by PatrickTM
January 22, 2022: I used up a $530 gift card that I had lying around:
  1. Booked a round trip main cabin (H) flight for $777.20, used $530 gift card, charged $247.20 to wife's Hilton Aspire
    • BOS to PDX, 17APR to 26JUN
  2. Modified to a main cabin flight (B; H) at $977.20, charged $200.00 to wife's Platinum
    • ATL to SLC, 04MAR to 26MAR
  3. Modified to a first class (Z) flight at $1,126.20, charged $249.00 to my Hilton Aspire
    • BOS to PHX, 21JUL to 25JUL
  4. Modified to a first class (D; Z) flight at $1,427.20, charged $201.00 to my Platinum
    • BOS to PHX, 22JUL to 31JUL
I will post an update once the credits post. I follow in the footsteps of diesteldorf in converting my $530 gift card into $1,427.20 of eCredit.
Update!
25Jan: wife's Platinum and Hilton Aspire cards were credited, $200.00 and $247.20 respectively
26Jan: my Platinum and Hilton Aspire cards were credited, $200.00 and $249.00 respectively
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by neutralist
Damn I missed the 24 hour window, I booked refundable fare but I got a response saying the flight was non refundable. It has been 3 weeks since the original refund request. Guess Now I have to wait on the phone....
I definitely don't recommend using the 24-Hour Risk-Free Cancellation - there's chance of clawback and missing the credit altogether, which would just waste your time. As long as you didn't buy a Basic Economy ticket (even if it's a non-refundable ticket) you're eligible for a full refund in the form of eCredit. If you bought a Basic Economy ticket you'll still get an eCredit refund, minus cancellation fee.

​​​​​​According to the Delta Cancellation & Refund Policy:
...Main Cabin tickets and higher that are canceled prior to departure will retain the value of the ticket. Review your Basic Economy ticket to see if you are eligible to cancel your ticket prior to departure and receive an eCredit.
Delta Cancellation & Refund Policy : Delta Air Lines
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by neutralist
Damn I missed the 24 hour window, I booked refundable fare but I got a response saying the flight was non refundable. It has been 3 weeks since the original refund request. Guess Now I have to wait on the phone....
You should have the option to cancel and refund itinerary online, either desktop or mobile browser (not the app). If it does not process immediately, it will automatically lead you to the portal where can submit a refund request ticket - no six hour phone queue necessary!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:18 am

Update!
25Jan: wife's Platinum and Hilton Aspire cards were credited, $200.00 and $247.20 respectively
26Jan: my Platinum and Hilton Aspire cards were credited, $200.00 and $249.00 respectively
Glad it worked out for you. I have huge credits with Delta.... Really want to plan some international trips when things get back to normal!!
PatrickTM likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
As long as you didn't buy a Basic Economy ticket (even if it's a non-refundable ticket) you're eligible for a full refund in the form of eCredit. If you bought a Basic Economy ticket you'll still get an eCredit refund, minus cancellation fee.
It was a First class ticket and I double checked the farecode on ExpertFlyer that it is "Cancellation Permitted".

You should have the option to cancel and refund itinerary online, either desktop or mobile browser (not the app). If it does not process immediately, it will automatically lead you to the portal where can submit a refund request ticket - no six hour phone queue necessary!
I DID submit the form... but then a couple weeks later I got a reply saying that this thing is not refundable.

I did end up calling them and waited 45 minutes to finally get the ticket cancelled, now I am waiting for the actual refund to process.
PatrickTM likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:14 pm

Bought a DL Comfort+ ticket for $839. Used $670 DL giftcard and the rest charged to the Amex Biz Platinum on 1/24. Posted 1/25 and got $169.20 back on 1/27.
PatrickTM likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:03 pm

Update!
Update again: requested refund today through the Delta Airlines website, submitted request ticket because it could not automatically cancel and refund. Refund came through in about two hours, so the $1,427.20 shows up in my account as eCredit.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Companion certificate success

Made a booking using the Delta Platinum Amex companion certificate, and paid for part of the primary ticket using an eCredit. Both of the two resulting charges were credited under the Amex Platinum fee credit: a ~$50 balance on the primary ticket above the eCredit value (which shows as Additional Collection on the Amex site), and the ~$40 in taxes and fees charged for the "free" ticket (which does *not* show as an Additional Collection).
Old Jan 29, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Made a booking using the Delta Platinum Amex companion certificate, and paid for part of the primary ticket using an eCredit. Both of the two resulting charges were credited under the Amex Platinum fee credit: a ~$50 balance on the primary ticket above the eCredit value (which shows as Additional Collection on the Amex site), and the ~$40 in taxes and fees charged for the "free" ticket (which does *not* show as an Additional Collection).
thanks for that. I'm about ready to do the same and wondered if it would qualify--figured it probably would but good to hear you had success.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Note from the companion cert thread in the DL forum:
Originally Posted by Pocatello
I did not get both.

I got the airline credit for residual on my ticket and nothing for P2’s taxes and fees.
so it seems inconsistent, or maybe it was the amount.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:11 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Cool 2nd dp for 2022

2ND DP FOR 2022
AMEX ASPIRE CARD

PURCHASED: Last-minute $500 COMF+ Ticket
USED: $200 E-CREDIT
CHARGED: $300 ON ASPIRE, Posted as DELTA.COM ATLANTA, GA
CREDIT METER: SHOWS $250 has been used
STATEMENT CREDIT: $250 credited 2 BIZ DAYS LATER

GL to the rest of you and may the incoming pages of the same repetitive questions ever be in your favor.

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
1st DP for 2022?

Purchased: $950 DL Premium Select Ticket
Used: $450 E-credit
Charged: $500 on Plat, Posted as DELTA.COM ATLANTA, GA
Credit Meter: Shows $200 of credit has been used

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.