Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: anabolism
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AA only (2022-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stockjock
I've read the wiki so to be clear, if I upgraded seats to MCE, I assume it would be reimbursed, correct? Does the price matter? If I go over the $200 credit by a few bucks, will they still credit $200? TIA.
I upgraded seats to MCE and got reimbursed last week. Dunno if it's 100% but worked for me. Price does not matter, they will credit up to $200.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by dsywon
I upgraded seats to MCE and got reimbursed last week. Dunno if it's 100% but worked for me. Price does not matter, they will credit up to $200.
so if I go over $200 I would still be credited up to 200, or would the purchase above $200 not trigger the credit?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Stockjock
so if I go over $200 I would still be credited up to 200, or would the purchase above $200 not trigger the credit?
The former.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Once per year, in January. After that, if you have not used any of the credit, customer service will typically allow another change, but it is an exception to the published terms.
So technically I can select AA to try to get taxes and fees on an award ticket ($110), if it doesn't work out, I can still change it to UA to try travel bank?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
FWIW, I used my Plat card for an upgrade offer on the AA app after purchasing the tickets. The amount of the upgrade was about $48, so I thought it might find a way to go through, but it did not. I guess that I'll be buying stickers again this year.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by gary_nj
FWIW, I used my Plat card for an upgrade offer on the AA app after purchasing the tickets. The amount of the upgrade was about $48, so I thought it might find a way to go through, but it did not. I guess that I'll be buying stickers again this year.
Just to make sure, you're aware of the changes happening to the AA upgrade process? Unless you have a use for the stickers in the next couple months, you are effectively buying Loyalty Points at 16 cents per point.

Complimentary Upgrades in NA for Platinum and Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...n-options.html
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by _kurt
Just to make sure, you're aware of the changes happening to the AA upgrade process? Unless you have a use for the stickers in the next couple months, you are effectively buying Loyalty Points at 16 cents per point.

Complimentary Upgrades in NA for Platinum and Gold
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...n-options.html
Thanks for this! I went online to check out the purchase of stickers and saw the news there. I don't follow AA very closely here so I had not seen the referenced threads. Thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I had two x $5.60 award booking fees reimbursed this month, both TATL flights.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:47 pm

In App upgrades

Hi all, first time poster so apologies if I’m redundant with what has been said. What has the experience been on receiving the credit for in app upgrades to first? I see the wiki says it works but some comments are saying no. Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
So, my two $5.60 aware fees from June 18 did not get reimbursed. And, according to Amex agent chat today, they won't be. Here's the list of "Ineligible charges" - - not sure if this list has been expanded, or we've been lucky (specifically the items I bolded):

Airline fees charged before airline selection
Air freight
Airline tickets
Award ticket fees
Charges made by airline Partners (for example, Card Member purchases tickets on their selected airline, Delta, but purchases food on an Air France flight)
Charges processed by Merchants and / or 3rd parties other than the airline the Card Member has selected (for example, in-flight internet services providers such as Gogo)
Duty-free purchases
Frequent Flyer purchase
Airline gift cards
Point-transfer fees
Ticket upgrades (including American Airlines upgrade stickers)
Travel Agent fees
Trip Insurance / Baggage Insurance
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Award fees have never been eligible, but in practice they are sometimes reimbursed.

See this thread from 2012:

Amex Lists Eligible and Ineligible Airline Fee Transactions [General discussion]

Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:03 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Award related charges with AA has been all over the map. I have been reimbursed in the past for the taxes/fees on award bookings and I have not been reimbursed either. Same goes for domestic miles + copay upgrades. Sometimes the $75 copay is reimbursed and sometimes it is not.

I really wish AMEX will do away with the arcane rules and make this benefit a broad airfare credit benefit. I have switched all of my airline choices from AA to UA this year and this hurts AA because for the first time in years since I left UA during the Smisek era (aka the dark ages) I'll be finding myself onboard United again.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy
<snip>I really wish AMEX will do away with the arcane rules and make this benefit a broad airfare credit benefit.
If wishes were ponies...

Regards
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:36 am

golfingboy, If they change it we'll probably get a monthly dining credit instead.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:26 am

Searched the thread and WIKI and didn't find the answer to this. I have both the Platinum and Business Platinum. After using my $200 credit on the Business Plat for the monthly WIFI fees I switched the monthly charge to my other Platinum card. I am not getting any reimbursements. Is it $200 per customer, and not per card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.