Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2022 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hassattaq
Hello guys! My first time positing on here. I just received my centurion card. I’ve had the platinum card for 11 years and spend about $400K a year on average… What do you guys think shall I close the platinum account ? What’s the practice here? If I close it I will lose the 5x points perk… but then again I’d much rather swipe my black card ! It’s a bit of a conundrum.. what do you say?
I'm not sure if the higher-value Platinum-only offers also apply to Centurion, but if not, then that would probably be enough for me to want to keep the card open. The IAP offer alone makes the card breakeven when combined with the Uber and airline credits, but if Centurion also gets those offers then the value proposition is a lot lower for me. Also, if you are finding it hard to use your points with your high spend, then opening a CS Plat to be able to transfer the points to cash at a value of 1.1 cents per point could be valuable as well.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hassattaq
Hello guys! My first time positing on here. I just received my centurion card. I’ve had the platinum card for 11 years and spend about $400K a year on average… What do you guys think shall I close the platinum account ? What’s the practice here? If I close it I will lose the 5x points perk… but then again I’d much rather swipe my black card ! It’s a bit of a conundrum.. what do you say?
You completely lose the "DYKWIA" factor when you can not show the card physically. Online purchases can be so disappointing.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by epigram
Criteria as gleaned from chat group:
minimum annual income S$500k. preferably closer to S$1m, evidence by personal Income Tax assessment
spending > S$50k monthly, preferably luxury goods and high end travel related, LV, Hermes, car dealers, biz/ first class tix, hotel suites, etc. (personal spend vs manufactured spend)

Process as gleaned from chat group:
Existing Platinum
Prior emails to verify even if eligible
After clearance, AMEX called with an official invite to go through the interview process
Phone interview:
  • "monthly income, any asset portfolio, personal interests, what I do for a living, some questions about my company. After the interview they ran through a brief detail of some of the perks on the card and the annual fee + initiation fee."
  • "how I got to know about the card, income, job, lifestyle/hobbies and why I want the card. "Do you golf? Do you do wine tasting? Do you collect watches? Do you shop at 10x MR boutiques?"
After interview, AMEX will do up some profile for clearance
Clearance will take about a week
Once profile is cleared, the application form is sent

Other info:
Centurion Relationship Manager based in Singapore (not outsourced)
Each CRM manages about 150 cardmembers
You mention $50k monthly spend but then say they require $500k annual income and preferably $1mm. These two requirements dont match mathematically. $50k per month would be $600K annually in spend.....Even $1mm income won't get it done after taxes and living expense
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
You mention $50k monthly spend but then say they require $500k annual income and preferably $1mm. These two requirements dont match mathematically. $50k per month would be $600K annually in spend.....Even $1mm income won't get it done after taxes and living expense
Singapore has territorial tax. Also tax rate is much lower. So S$1m is more than enough for 50k/mth in spend.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Its just a floor test as there will be those who put business expenses through the card and they want to ensure they broadly meet the HNW criteria. Same system for UK card.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: EVA
Originally Posted by YClass
Its just a floor test as there will be those who put business expenses through the card and they want to ensure they broadly meet the HNW criteria. Same system for UK card.
Same in Taiwan. Proof of at least NT$6m/year income is required to complete the formal application but NT$6m spend will not get you an invite
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by llary
Same in Taiwan. Proof of at least NT$6m/year income is required to complete the formal application but NT$6m spend will not get you an invite
NT$6m/year (US$200k/year) income comfortably crosses the published income criterion for platinum in singapore (S$200k/year ~ US$140k/year). interesting to learn that about 1/3 more gets centurion in taiwan.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by NotSoMuch
Singapore has territorial tax. Also tax rate is much lower. So S$1m is more than enough for 50k/mth in spend.
yes, the highest rate in singapore is only 24% (and that's only for that part of the income above S$1m - tax is tiered in singapore).
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:21 pm

I have heard of rare cases where this happens, but has anyone received a Centurion invite without being a Platinum cardholder? E.g. putting significant spend on a Gold card or something.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:31 pm

In the USA I know for an absolute fact you did not need a Platinum card in the past.

Originally Posted by CX HK
I have heard of rare cases where this happens, but has anyone received a Centurion invite without being a Platinum cardholder? E.g. putting significant spend on a Gold card or something.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 5, 2022 at 8:07 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Gold, HH Diamond, Centurion (UK), Virgin Gold
Same for the UK at least around 5 yrs ago -- another cardholder I know only had a BA Premium card before getting invited to Cent
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
How do you provide AMEX relationship with income proof? Been doing $2-3M a year in income the last 2-3 years, but the bulk of my spend on AMEX is flights and Government fees or tax payments.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman
How do you provide AMEX relationship with income proof? Been doing $2-3M a year in income the last 2-3 years, but the bulk of my spend on AMEX is flights and Government fees or tax payments.
Income proof would come after the initial invitation and formal application process. Spend is what Amex are interested in, so you will need to consistently meet spend requirements to get the invite. I don't think taxes/fees would be considered for Centurion invitations.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazieman
How do you provide AMEX relationship with income proof? .
In USA, typically they will request IRS form 4506-T https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4506-t
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:47 am

So after a lot of ups and downs with Amex this year my rep just called to say my 2nd application was successful and Centurion card is on the way. Apparently Centurion cards ship to Taiwan from the UK (all other cards including metal Platinum are made locally).

The process in Taiwan seems to be a lot more complicated than other regions have reported but in some ways more special/personal as everything was done with face to face meetings and an individual rep.

Happy to give more info if anyone is interested, it's been a long old road to get here!
SteveT and ExpatExp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.