Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (USA and ZA) access for Platinum and Centurion

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (USA and ZA) access for Platinum and Centurion

Old May 8, 22, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
What's on the left - I don't recognize it. I wonder if they have a menu update.
It's a Thai green curry. It was a little rice heavy to be honest.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 9, 22, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by toofast View Post
I used the IAD Virgin lounge earlier this week. Excellent experience. Great food, not to busy (around 4pm), and excellent fast service.
how fast is fast!? Took me 20min just to get a drink at JFK. I’d be enjoying my entree in the Polaris lounge at that point.
Old May 9, 22, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Can you access the Virgin lounge at JFK upon arrival? I have a flight in June on Delta and a friend of mine is landing 90 minutes after me. Usually I just go to the Skyclub and wait in those situations, but with the new policy, that won't be an option unless I book a refundable flight and wait in the skyclub and then cancel and don't want to go through that hassle. I know there is also the Wingtips lounge but not sure if that can be accessed on arrival.
Old May 9, 22, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
how fast is fast!? Took me 20min just to get a drink at JFK. I’d be enjoying my entree in the Polaris lounge at that point.
I'd place an order on the app, and it would come within about 5 minutes.

I was expecting it to take a while, which is why you can see my appetizer, entrée and desert all in the same picture!
Old May 9, 22, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by toofast View Post
I'd place an order on the app, and it would come within about 5 minutes.

I was expecting it to take a while, which is why you can see my appetizer, entrée and desert all in the same picture!
My food came quickly. Drinks, not quickly.
Old May 15, 22, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire(useless)
Beware: Denied Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse for Amex Platinum

Just got flat denied @ Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at SFO, no waitlist, relatively empty lounge. Citing full flights. Have not seen many posts with denied entrance, so might be worth posting.

I understand the use of the lounge is primarily for International flights, that's why the hours they published is until 5:30 p.m.
Came within the scheduled time for departure, flight within same terminal (Frontier at T1 SFO). 1 hour before boarding, won't be there for long at all.

Either Amex overpromised the lounge access, or this clubhouse just violated the contract with Amex. I didn't see any language that subject to availability etc...
Old May 15, 22, 9:06 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Noahf989 View Post
Just got flat denied...
Scroll back to post 74 (March 2022) and read forward.
Old May 15, 22, 9:41 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Noahf989 View Post
Just got flat denied @ Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at SFO, no waitlist, relatively empty lounge. Citing full flights. Have not seen many posts with denied entrance, so might be worth posting
Well, it was nice while it lasted. Perhaps they need to change the Amex admission hours to just the hours between the two VS flights. To be fair, the lounge is fairly small and I can see it getting full with just VS’ own J passengers + VS and DL elites with access.
Old May 16, 22, 12:20 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
That's weird... there was a 10 pm(ish) LHR flight when I stopped in (probably around 8 pm or so) last Monday and I had no problem.
Old May 25, 22, 5:38 am

I can confirm that the JFK Clubhouse still lets Amex Plat cardholders enter. My card was put into a card reader (I guess to check that it's still valid) and both our boarding passes were scanned. I came with one guest on our way back to IND, entered around 6 pm and it was pretty full, maybe 2-3 tables were still empty.
The orders from the online menu were served promptly - drinks within 5 minutes, foods within 10. The cosmo was too sour, but someone else here mentioned that the cocktails were a little off.

On the (long) way to B43 I noticed the queue outside the SkyClub. I didn't check the Centurion lounge as I've been there in Dec - the Clubhouse is the best choice of all three.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 25, 22, 6:27 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by omxfl View Post
....card was put into a card reader (I guess to check that it's still valid)....
...and also to charge American Express for your visit.
jamesteroh and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like Captal One will add access to Plaza Premium lounge (incl. Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse) for their cardholders:
https://capitalonetravel.com/lounges...lounge-network

So I'd expect them to be even more busy in the future
Old Jun 15, 22, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by delpiero223 View Post
Looks like Captal One will add access to Plaza Premium lounge (incl. Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse) for their cardholders:
https://capitalonetravel.com/lounges...lounge-network

So I'd expect them to be even more busy in the future
Ya, it also adds quite a bit to the value prop and makes them an instant 2nd place to Amex (Amex has many additional lounges but C1 also has the PP restaurant options). If C1 had a lounge in my PHL home base with similar amenities to the DFW lounge, I would ditch the Plat pretty quickly. Given that they don't, I hope a lot of other people ditch the plat to make my Cent lounge experiences better
happychic likes this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omxfl View Post
I can confirm that the JFK Clubhouse still lets Amex Plat cardholders enter. My card was put into a card reader (I guess to check that it's still valid) and both our boarding passes were scanned. I came with one guest on our way back to IND, entered around 6 pm and it was pretty full, maybe 2-3 tables were still empty.
The orders from the online menu were served promptly - drinks within 5 minutes, foods within 10. The cosmo was too sour, but someone else here mentioned that the cocktails were a little off.

On the (long) way to B43 I noticed the queue outside the SkyClub. I didn't check the Centurion lounge as I've been there in Dec - the Clubhouse is the best choice of all three.
I was there in late May slightly earlier in the evening than you. The lounge was moderately busy but quieted down a bit after the 6pm VS flight started boarding (a bit late). But no issue finding a seat or table. I only had a few items to eat from the menu, but it seemed as if quality was not as good as in the past. Compared to Centurion, there's definitely more variety to eat at the Clubhouse, but I think quality is a little better (based on this one experience to be fair) at Centurion. You can get Champagne at the clubhouse (Lanson IIRC, so not really even very good, lol). Front desk agents were being pretty strict about a "3 hours before flight departure" rule, although it wasn't clear if the pax they denied for being too early was VS UC or just Amex Plat, though he did say he was going to go to the Centurion Lounge (where he'd similarly be turned away...).

And FWIW, my DL flight was departing T2, it's not really that long of a trip to get there. Probably a similar amount of time to get to the far end of the T4B concourse, but with less walking.
I had no issue checking a bag at T4 for a T2 departure.
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
For those of you who have visited JFK Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse - how does the food and experience compare to the Centurion lounge in JFK? Which one do you prefer?

I will be at JFK on a Sunday next month, JetBlue flight leaving at 11am, so we will get to JFK probably around 9am. I am wondering if it's worth trying out Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, or if we should stick to Centurion lounge.

Search this Thread