Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Walmart & Amex bring Walmart+ to USA Platinum Card (Paramount Plus added Sept 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walmart & Amex bring Walmart+ to USA Platinum Card (Paramount Plus added Sept 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:49 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...-platinum-card

To deliver the perks of Walmart+ to even more customers, we’re teaming up with American Express. Beginning today, U.S. Consumer Platinum Card® Members who use their Card to purchase a monthly Walmart+ membership can receive a statement credit which covers the full cost of membership each month - $12.95 a month, plus applicable taxes. As a Walmart+ member, they’ll receive the full suite of Walmart+ benefits including unlimited free shipping with no order minimum on items sold and shipped by Walmart, free delivery from eligible Walmart stores and more.
Platinum Card and Walmart. Match made in heaven. Maybe partner with Aldi and Lidl next?

https://about.americanexpress.com/al...d/default.aspx
New York October 7, 2021: Today, American Express launched two new retail and wellness benefits on its U.S. Consumer Platinum Card to provide Card Members more value on their everyday and lifestyle purchases. Beginning on October 7, U.S. Consumer Platinum Card Members who use their Cards can receive a statement credit for the full cost of a Walmart+ monthly membership ($12.95/month, plus applicable taxes) and a $300 statement credit on purchases of the SoulCycle at-home bike1 through Equinox+ (Up to 15 times in one calendar year).
af fp, AeRoSpaceman and lgormley like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:58 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:01 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Can't wait for people to complain about Walmart being "beneath" the Amex Platinum, one of the easiest high AF cards to get approved for.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:12 am

Even if you don't use it, seems like a no brainer. At the very least it is a free 155 points (which I understand is completely nominal). However, in the online retailer space, Walmart is comparable to Amazon. If you're comfortable using Amazon then you should be comfortable using Walmart. For me, the Chase Amazon Prime card is my only non-amex card, so this will be tough for me to make use of this but even still you'll get no complaints from me.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by seawolf
Platinum Card and Walmart. Match made in heaven. Maybe partner with Aldi and Lidl next?
How about Dollar Tree and Dollar General?

Shipping times for Amazon Prime orders have gone up for my area, so I might give Walmart+ a try again.
H8tofly likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:23 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How about Dollar Tree and Dollar General?

Shipping times for Amazon Prime orders have gone up for my area, so I might give Walmart+ a try again.
Lol.

Joking aside, it is a good benefit. Often times I purchased from Amazon despite Walmart carrying same item due to the minimum shipping limit as I have Prime but not W+.
SanDiego1K and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Plat cards apparently have this “matching” Amex Offer:

Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:36 am

Plat cards apparently have this “matching” Amex Offer:
Expires just in time for the holiday season unfortunately.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Expires just in time for the holiday season unfortunately.
DoC suggests buying a Walmart gift card. That would allow you to “extend” the offer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...max-500-spend/
vletnguyen and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:13 am

Unlike most issuers, for whatever reason, I hardly ever get flagged with fraud alerts when using my Amex cards. The one and only time I can ever recall getting that annoying reply to text or confirm an app fraud thing before a purchase was many years ago when I tried to make a purchase at a Walmart. Amex wouldn't allow it until I texted confirmation that I was indeed making the purchase.

Personally, I think this is a good addition, and I welcome some kind of competition to Amazon's growing dominance. En masse inclusion is a good thing, and it's not surprising that Amex has adjusted to our changing demographics and market place. Now, I can count on one hand the times I've ordered anything from Walmart, but why not? Assuming their prices aren't any higher than Amazon's, and one may likely double dip from those cashback/points portal things.

Just off the top of my head, from all the stuff they've added, this is, for a single year anyway, the single best value proposition CC I've ever seen, especially for those with the 150K bonus.

PS - No idea what the soulcycle or wellness things are, and I have little understanding (or, appreciation) for either. LOL
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
DoC suggests buying a Walmart gift card. That would allow you to “extend” the offer.
This also turns it into 5x at Walmart in person, or even Sam's Club on the $500 spend, if you're so inclined if you buy a physical GC.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I like this benefit actually. I'd never pay for Walmart+, but there are things I can't get delivered on Amazon/WF. Now I'll never need to go inside a Walmart again
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Had to come here to read the comments! Certainly seems like an odd pairing and a positioning disconnect with AmEx Platinum's "lifestyle" positioning...Target (aka Tarshay...) would have been a somewhat better fit.
But, I'll certainly sign up for those times when I need something same day that my grocery stores don't carry.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Can't wait for people to complain about Walmart being "beneath" the Amex Platinum, one of the easiest high AF cards to get approved for.
I don't recall complaints of this nature before. Most complaints are about benefits not posting or working as intended. Since this benefit is monthly, it's almost guaranteed that at least a few months in the coming year the credits will not automatically post. Then there will be a dedicated thread titled "Platinum Walmart+ Benefits Not Posting".
Kacee, 36902BRF and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:23 am

Is anyone going to offer this to a family member and use the credits to pay for their membership?

Walmart does not deliver groceries to my area. I am curious how they compare to Instacart?

I realize I could still take advantage of the no $35 minimum free shipping, but that really isn't a game changer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.