Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Walmart and American Express Bring Walmart+ to the Platinum Card

Walmart and American Express Bring Walmart+ to the Platinum Card

Old Oct 20, 21, 8:23 am
  #76  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 13,753
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
I signed up and the credit appeared two days after the Walmart+ fee posted. Ordered my first item: a can of WD40. This is the kind of thing I typically go to Walmart for, but I've been putting it off because it was all I needed and I didn't want to have to deal with Walmart for one item. Ordered Monday evening, arrived on Thursday. No shipping fees. : ) And my desk chair is now squeak-free.

I'm thinking this benefit could be really useful for this type of purchase.
+1. Ordered some sub $10 home supplies where Walmart is cheaper than Home Depot.
seawolf is offline  
Old Oct 21, 21, 6:54 am
  #77  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: RSW
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 14,019
Do they use their own delivery team?
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Oct 21, 21, 8:58 am
  #78  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 45,172
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Do they use their own delivery team?
Local deliveries are made by DoorDash.
mia is offline  
Old Oct 31, 21, 10:59 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,355
Man, y’all are missing the point here. This is a freaking amazing benefit.
Mrs. Returnoftheyeti “we need paper towels “
me: “ordered from Walmart, they will be here in 2 days, cheaper than Target and we don’t have to go pick it up”

2 hours later, now we need laundry soap. Order that too. Super cheap, or, not overpriced just because delivery (Amazon super guilty on this one). Yeah, that will be here in 2 days as well

No tipping (this stuff comes FedEx), no delivery fee. This is fantastic. I am going to milk this to death.
Visconti and imnotalawyer like this.
returnoftheyeti is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 5:37 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: EWR
Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 1,053
I was never as skeptical as some here about the usefulness and the perception of this benefit for the Platinum card, but I would say that this benefit has me now considering cancelling Amazon Prime. Walmart just needs to work on it’s app and it’s website — it’s just no where near as clear what you’re getting as you are with Amazon.

I wonder if this is AMEX’s way of sticking it to Amazon for only giving them the business card contract as this is pushing their likely highest income consumer customers away from Amazon and towards a competitive service.
jags86 is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 8:12 am
  #81  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 45,172
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
....
I wonder if this is AMEX’s way of sticking it to Amazon for only giving them the business card contract as this is pushing their likely highest income consumer customers away from Amazon and towards a competitive service.
No, Amazon is considering proposals to replace Chase as the personal card issuer: https://www.investopedia.com/amazon-...-chase-5188745
mia is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 4:14 pm
  #82  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 98,604
The majority of US Platinum Amex card account holders had already shopped at Walmart prior to this Amex-Walmart+ affiliation. While Amex didn’t suggest the same was the case for Amazon, I would assume that it is sort of the same situation with Amazon.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Nov 2, 21, 9:34 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 388
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Man, y’all are missing the point here. This is a freaking amazing benefit.
Mrs. Returnoftheyeti “we need paper towels “
me: “ordered from Walmart, they will be here in 2 days, cheaper than Target and we don’t have to go pick it up”

2 hours later, now we need laundry soap. Order that too. Super cheap, or, not overpriced just because delivery (Amazon super guilty on this one). Yeah, that will be here in 2 days as well

No tipping (this stuff comes FedEx), no delivery fee. This is fantastic. I am going to milk this to death.
Yeah I agree. Most of what I've ordered so far shows up either the same day or the next day. Even if you order 2 day shipping for a lot of items, Doordash usually delivers it, and most items aside from groceries are eligible for "2 day shipping."
zorbachs is offline  
Old Nov 3, 21, 6:41 pm
  #84  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Posts: 2,981
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Man, y’all are missing the point here. This is a freaking amazing benefit.
Mrs. Returnoftheyeti “we need paper towels “
me: “ordered from Walmart, they will be here in 2 days, cheaper than Target and we don’t have to go pick it up”

2 hours later, now we need laundry soap. Order that too. Super cheap, or, not overpriced just because delivery (Amazon super guilty on this one). Yeah, that will be here in 2 days as well

No tipping (this stuff comes FedEx), no delivery fee. This is fantastic. I am going to milk this to death.
I am with you. We are ordering once a week and no more driving to Target (where half the things are out of stock) or dealing with the Walmart crowds.
abk is offline  
Old Nov 3, 21, 6:47 pm
  #85  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,544
Originally Posted by abk View Post
I am with you. We are ordering once a week and no more driving to Target (where half the things are out of stock) or dealing with the Walmart crowds.
Just want to remind people that if you're talking about ordering items that are available for shipping on walmart.com, even non-Amex cardholders get free shipping, as long as they spend at least $35 per order. Amex Platinum cardholders who avail themselves of the Walmart+ benefit just avoid the $35 minimum for free shipping.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Nov 3, 21, 10:59 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Diamond
Posts: 2,029
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Just want to remind people that if you're talking about ordering items that are available for shipping on walmart.com, even non-Amex cardholders get free shipping, as long as they spend at least $35 per order. Amex Platinum cardholders who avail themselves of the Walmart+ benefit just avoid the $35 minimum for free shipping.
But that's the point. I tend to need these inexpensive, cheap items from Walmart, and the $35 minimum was usually too much for these everyday items.
hotturnip is offline  
Old Nov 3, 21, 11:07 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,372
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
But that's the point. I tend to need these inexpensive, cheap items from Walmart, and the $35 minimum was usually too much for these everyday items.
Exactly.

Last night, I needed to replace a window screen in my study, and Walmart had it at the cheapest price. This is a product where I couldn't care less whom I get it from, and only care about the cheapest net cost. I found it at Walmart, and wouldn't have been able to find additional items to round it up to $35. With this, once click, and it'll be here in 2 days.
hotturnip and IndyHoosier like this.
Visconti is offline  
Old Nov 3, 21, 11:53 pm
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,544
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
But that's the point. I tend to need these inexpensive, cheap items from Walmart, and the $35 minimum was usually too much for these everyday items.
Understood. But I can usually find other items to add, if necessary. In addition to non-food staples, Walmart also ships a lot of non-perishable foodstuffs.

I do appreciate, though, the convenience of being able to order just one item when that's all you need.
hotturnip likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Nov 8, 21, 9:17 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 268
Has anyone received the Walmart+ credit in the Business Platinum card? In the last statement Amex attached a page announcing the new benefits. However, in all the news articles it's for the consumer Platinum card only.
shel is offline  
Old Nov 8, 21, 9:30 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Diamond
Posts: 2,029
So now I find that I'm keeping an open shopping cart on Walmart.com and just adding things to it as I remember them. New spatula and scrub-daddy--done. I'm going to get some good use out of this.
hotturnip is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread