AMEX The Hotel Collection - Recent Experiences?

Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
AMEX The Hotel Collection - Recent Experiences?

With the $200 travel credit, I can imagine more people will be considering booking The Hotel Collection stays in the future. It looks like Amex promises a room upgrade (pending availability) and a property credit for most Hotel Collection stays. Would love to get some data points on upgrades, elite status recognition, etc...
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:18 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Hyatt has an official policy stating that FHR is elite qualifying. There is no such policy for HC. Similarly, many Marriott stays (IME) do post to my Bonvoy account when booking through FHR. I do not have any experiences with booking Marriotts through HC but the lurkers have (recently and in the past) confirmed FHR elite eligibility without confirming HC elite eligibility.

Based off of these 2 factors, I believe HC is NOT elite qualifying for Hyatt and Marriott. I would be curious to see if there are any data points for this with IHG as there seems to be a few Kimptons in the HC program.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
My elite status was recognized and my points posted for a Marriott Hotel Collection stay (at the Walt Disney World Dolphin).
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I posted in the "$200 Hotel Credit" thread about my recent experience at the Bellevue in Philadelphia (Hyatt Unbound.) $200 credit was posted quickly by Amex after I made my reservation and prepaid. I only got an upgrade at the hotel because the clerk made a mistake and put me in a connector after I specifically told him "no connecting door." The third night free worked fine. The $100 F/B credit worked fine (those charges didn't even show up on my folio). F/B availability was quite limited--just a limited room service menu, with no lunch available and no dinner on Sundays. I spent some of it by using the pantry by the front desk. I offered my Hyatt # at checkin, and the agent entered it. I received full points for the nights paid, including the current Hyatt bonus. I only got credit for 3 of the 4 nights stayed in my World of Hyatt account.

This "upgrade if available" stuff is nonsense, if you ask me. What qualifies as an "upgrade" anyhow? In hotels like this one, rooms are highly variable. But in a lot of newer properties, the rooms are virtually identical, just varying in view. They'll tell you a room on a high floor is an upgrade.

The real problem for budget travelers such as myself is that the rates on the THC hotels are usually so high that even with all the credits, another option is likely much cheaper. I had to look really hard to find a destination/hotel that I felt was a pretty good deal.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:03 am

I think it was last year I booked "The Hotels Collection" for a Fairmont property in Vancouver, BC. I use FHR all the time with my Canadian Cent card, but first time using this.

The rate was awesome, the perks were awesome (got a credit and some other stuff), and I got status recognition and points from Accor (which I was worried about). Will definitely be using again, I regularly check both "The Hotels Collection" and compare to FHR to see which is best with perks vs rates.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
First time traying to use The Hotel Collection booking, a few questions

Plan to stay at a Marriott property for two days already have a backup booking (flexible).

Checked the THC site, same hotel, same day, the prepaid rate is $4/night more, and the flexible rate is about 20/day more.

Two questions:
1. Is prepaid rate at THC counted as stay credit in Marriott?
2. What format of $100 credit would be issued? Would that reflect anywhere in writing? I'm counting that $100 otherwise the rebooking would not make any sense. It is a Four Point, so I'm not seeing anything fancy being provided as "experience".
3. The term said “Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express®Card, in the eligible Card Member's name”, Does it work if I book with the amex gold and pay with Marriot Brilliant? Or the charge needs to be on eligible card (Amex Gold)

Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Procter
Plan to stay at a Marriott property for two days already have a backup booking (flexible).

Checked the THC site, same hotel, same day, the prepaid rate is $4/night more, and the flexible rate is about 20/day more.

Two questions:
1. Is prepaid rate at THC counted as stay credit in Marriott?
2. What format of $100 credit would be issued? Would that reflect anywhere in writing? I'm counting that $100 otherwise the rebooking would not make any sense. It is a Four Point, so I'm not seeing anything fancy being provided as "experience".
3. The term said “Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express®Card, in the eligible Card Member's name”, Does it work if I book with the amex gold and pay with Marriot Brilliant? Or the charge needs to be on eligible card (Amex Gold)

Thanks a lot.
As to #3, I just asked that question yesterday and the rep was adamant that you have to pay with the eligible card (in your case, the Gold, but I was asking about the Plat). If that is the case, it is very poorly written and makes no sense to me. Her explanation was that this language came into play when an authorized user made the booking but paid with the account holder's card. I think she is wrong, but would love to hear from someone who has done it.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
1. The prepaid booking will come through to the hotel looking like an OTA booking (Expedia), so while you might get lucky and get stay credit, it is not supposed to qualify
2. The Hotel Collection $100 credit is a credit applied by the hotel at check out against on property charges that you are able to charge to your room (i.e. dining, spa and sometimes parking, though parking will depend on whether you can charge it to your room). Since you mentioned you are staying at a Four Points, I would evaluate whether there is $100 worth of incidentals you would spend at the property. Also, if you are thinking of applying it against dining charges, I would also check that the hotels F&B outlets are open.
3. If you don't go the prepaid route, the hotel should be willing to let you use any Amex card in your name at check out.

Also, out of curiosity, what Four Points belongs to The Hotel Collection? My first reaction was that it doesn't sound right, but I suppose there are international Four Points locations that might be more upmarket than what we have in North America.

(But I'll note that at first glance I don't see any Four Points locations on the list. Are you sure you aren't just looking at a plain vanilla booking using Amex Travel online?)

Last edited by mia; Oct 15, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
That's a good question. I googled the hotel collection and gets me to that portal which has quite some different low tier hotels (BW etc). I know FHR definitely does not have Four Point, not sure THC is the same deal.

Let me double check.

Now think back I don't think I'd risk the prepaid rate at THC for a potential $100 credit. The corporate flexible rate I have is the same as Amex prepaid rate.

Edit: @dw, you were right, it was Amex travel regular listing. THC has a much smaller directory.
So apparently somehow in the clicking process, I landed on the amex travel regular page.

Last edited by Procter; Oct 15, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Procter
I googled the hotel collection....
In general, its best to start at americanexpress.com and navigate to the feature you want to use or research. The reason is that American Express issues cards worldwide, including many other English-speaking countries, and it's easy to inadvertently find a page from a foreign site which does not match the USA-issued products. American Express tends to use the same branding "Platinum", "Gold", "Green", "Blue", "Membership Rewards", "Fine Hotels & Resorts", everywhere, but the details can be very different.
gnomie, m907 and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I was hoping to find this a useful benefit , the $200 credit on 2 night THC stay - but the prices available on AMEX travel are tax inclusive nearly $100/night over a flexible booking direct on hyatt ...
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Is there a master thread for the Hotel Collection on FT, I cannot find it?

My question is whether I can book 2 nights in a hotel collection hotel with my Amex Plat, and then 2 subsequent nights with my partners Amex plat and get the $100 credit for each of the two stays? I assume I could do this if we check out after the first stay and then check into a new room for the second stay but will they allow it if we just want to stay in the same room?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There was not much interest in The Hotel Collection until this offer. Here is a thread discussing back-to-back bookings using the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. I would expect The Hotel Collection results to be similar, which means you need to be prepared to change rooms. It will very much depend on the property and the individuals you deal with.

FHR back-to-back booking questions.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:50 am

Does anyone have experience booking Caesar's through the Hotel Collection via Amex? Cannot find information anywhere on whether the 100$ credit can be used towards spa only or F&B.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by hotturnip
The real problem for budget travelers such as myself is that the rates on the THC hotels are usually so high that even with all the credits, another option is likely much cheaper. I had to look really hard to find a destination/hotel that I felt was a pretty good deal.
This is me.
I've resigned myself to accepting scenarios where I'm spending a little more than I might otherwise, but getting a good measure of quality that would generally cost far more.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.