Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX The Hotel Collection - Recent Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
While not a FHR stay, a "Hotel Collection" at a no-longer-participating property:

Hotel: Aria
Room: Booked King Strip View
Check in: August 24-27
Upgrade: To the next category, which was a 1-Bedroom Corner Tower Suite
Late Checkout: Only to 12:30PM (I checked out on a Saturday, so I get it, I'm sure they had to turn the room fast)
Breakfast Credit: None specifically
Property Credit: $100 total (see line above)
Comments:
I've noticed that Aria is still listed as a Virtuoso hotel which includes very similar benefits as FHR and for one night stays.
mia and ABG like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: AA
I'm looking at booking a hotel to get the $200 statement credit but I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the cash + points option and still getting the statement credit. Obviously, I would make the cash portion at least $200, would the statement credit still apply?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by bridge29
I'm looking at booking a hotel to get the $200 statement credit but I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the cash + points option and still getting the statement credit. Obviously, I would make the cash portion at least $200, would the statement credit still apply?
Yes, it works fine.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bridge29
....cash + points ...
When you use American Express Pay-with-Points the full cost of the transaction is billed to your card, and points are redeemed in a separate transaction to offset all/some of the purchase.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I left a Hotel (NH Collection) yesterday. It's under the hotel collection category. Got one level up, upgrade, $100 for food and liquor and spent it all. Paid $8.00 at checkout. Was denied late checkout due to a holiday weekend.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hyatt Centric Atlanta Buckhead

Here now, and very pleasantly surprised. All Amex travel said when I booked was "$100 F/B credit." At checkin, I discovered that in addition to that, I receive:

Free premium internet
Free breakfast for two every morning (IN ADDITION to the $100 credit)

Such a deal! It's a nice, new hotel a five-minute walk from the Lenox MARTA stop. I'm going to have a hard time using up the $100, since I'm on a solo stay and I can't use it for breakfast. Ate in the restaurant tonight and it was pretty good. You can cast streaming channels to the (very large) TV in the room. I can't tell that there is any kind of upgrade involved, except maybe being on a high floor, but the room is perfectly nice and spacious.

ETA: I finished the stay, and today I got WoH points for the room, including the double point bonus promotion. The amount for the eligible charges, though, was strange. The room rate was $208 per night for two nights. Eligible charges were $356.43. Huh. Go figure. Maybe they deducted the free food from the total?

They do charge you for the tips on the restaurant meals, but NOT for the breakfasts. There was a tip charge on my second meal that was more than I had included, and was listed as food instead of tip. Clerk at checkout just adjusted it off without argument. Really, this was a pleasant stay overall. I just find that Hyatt usually has better-trained, more professional employees.
chrisny2 and cfischer like this.

Last edited by hotturnip; Oct 10, 2022 at 3:48 pm Reason: Added points info
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:09 pm
mia

Hotel: Mansion at Forsyth Park, Savannah
Booked: Standard King
Upgrade: Junior Suite
Credits: $100 statement credit, no apparent restrictions.
Pros: Restaurant (brunch) was pleasant. The collection of historical hats was interesting. The art gallery (shop) was reasonable.
Cons:Astonishing series of service disappointments. Bar closed first night due to staff shortage. Outdoor swimming pool heater broken. Spa was locked when ms mia arrived for her appointment. (However the hotel catering manager, who had no connection to the spa, worked tirelessly to track down someone to fix the problem.) In-room safe locked, unlock device broken. Room not serviced on two days when we explicitly told staff what needed to be done. Check-out statement did not credit the prepaid amount.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Royal Sonesta San Francisco

Booked the Royal Sonesta in SF for a weekend trip to use up our $200 credit. Main reason: it was the cheapest THC or FHR hotel in the entire state. It's got great reviews on TripAdvisor however so we took a chance.

It's a classic old school hotel on the western edge of Union Square but that also means it's very close to the Tenderloin. It has a lot of old school elegance and the room we were in was very beautifully and recently renovated. Greeting at checkin was great, we got a special envelope with a letter welcoming us as AmEx THC guests with an explanation of benefits. Was offered a high floor upgrade but even better for $40/night more offered a high floor suite. We took the offer. Suite is very nice, not gigantic but two rooms. The view is OK, not spectacular, but we're glad we made the tradeoff.

Overall the luxury feel is very much present. Breakfast this morning was decent, very nicely prepared. For three of us it ended up using the entire $100 property credit so tomorrow we will probably have breakfast elsewhere.

They have a loyalty program but you cannot get elite credits for a THC stay so we likely won't try to get status in their program.

In the end, nice hotel, excellent THC experience, would stay again, perhaps next year again to use the credit once more!

Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
Canopy by Hilton-New Orleans

Wanted a low cost THC or FHR hotel for a short two night trip to New Orleans for a conference.

Canopy was available for a very reasonable nightly rate with THC credit.

The hotel is well located close to Canal Street and the CBD and French Quarter. It is a repurposed office building and has a bit of an industrial vibe.

I was given a corner room upgrade - almost a mini-suite. Quite roomy and comfortable.

The $100 credit could only be used at the restaurant/bar since there was no spa or other services. The restaurant - Ginger Roux - is a Creole/Chinese fusion restaurant with a creative, but limited menu. Dinner was pretty good, but given all the world class choices in New Orleans, other places would have been better.

Because of the $100 credit, and since there would be a breakfast buffet at the conference I was attending, I chose to take the Hilton Gold ‘My Way’ credit in points rather than more dining credit.

Also, for those wondering, although the booking was made through the Amex travel site, and paid at the hotel, I have received HHonors points for the stay, and I was able to take advantage of the Amex offers 1) $40 off $100 AND 2) 7% off Hilton.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by echoch
Also, for those wondering, although the booking was made through the Amex travel site, and paid at the hotel, I have received HHonors points for the stay, and I was able to take advantage of the Amex offers 1) $40 off $100 AND 2) 7% off Hilton.
hmmm...I don't see that offer on my Amex Plat account. It only shows Hilton: Spend $500 or more, get $100 back for Las Vegas & Nevada locations.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 6:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by Mama
hmmm...I don't see that offer on my Amex Plat account.
Amex Offers are targeted. There is no reason to expect that you will have the same offers as another poster.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've just booked a hotel that takes part to The Hotel Collection programme. I've added my Hilton number to the booking form and I can see my reservation on the Hilton app. I imagine that this suggests that I will receive elite benefits on top the Hotel Collection ones.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ringingup
I've just booked a hotel that takes part to The Hotel Collection programme. I've added my Hilton number to the booking form and I can see my reservation on the Hilton app. I imagine that this suggests that I will receive elite benefits on top the Hotel Collection ones.
Have you now stayed? Did you receive elite benefits and subsequent stay credits and points?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Have you now stayed? Did you receive elite benefits and subsequent stay credits and points?
The stay is at the end of April.
thomasd21 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ringingup
Don’t be so sure. I’ve been told in similar situations that HH benefits don’t port to agency bookings. Ymmv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.