Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX offering 12 transfer bonuses for September?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by mendacio
Seems like aeroplan is the safest bet, no? My rationale was bc unless you're booking right away, given that they recently changed their redemption chart, its probably less likely for them to make new changes so soon, no?

I guess for immediate redemption I feel like virgin->ANA makes the most sense. What are you guys planning to book via iberia/flying blue?
also, i DO realize that aeroplan doesn't have the most lucrative redemption chart though. haha.
LAX to MAD J is wide open. Nice entry point into Europe.
Robl likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I transferred 129,000 MR points to BA this evening and my balance with BA only reflects 129,000 Avios + my original balance. Anyone know when the 40% bonus will hit my BA account?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:21 am
BCH

Originally Posted by JaysonW
I transferred 129,000 MR points to BA this evening and my balance with BA only reflects 129,000 Avios + my original balance. Anyone know when the 40% bonus will hit my BA account?
Hmm. I would check directly with AmEx. On the AmEx transfer screen, it was showing how many points (incl. the 40% bonus) AmEx was transferring to BA Avios, and that's how many should have arrived at BA.

In my case, AmEx showed the correct amount that would arrive at BA (incl bonus) and the correct amount arrived a few seconds later.

My suggestion is to reach out to AmEx and sort it out as soon as possible.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by mendacio
Seems like aeroplan is the safest bet, no? ...
No, you should have a specific use in mind. Aeroplan has been massively devalued. You may well find that cashing MR and paying cash costs less on many routes.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
Some great transfer offers for September
Thank you for providing this in graphic form.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Note that BA, EI and IB are simultaneously offering a 30% transfer bonus through Chase Ultimate Rewards:

SPN Lifer, JaysonW and markman99 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beachmouse
FB can be a little touchy with the fraud flags if you transfer a bunch of points and then immediately book an award ticket, so as long as you're aware of how to keep non-flight miles from expiring, it's IMO not a bad idea to 'age' a few points transfers to reduce the odds of getting flagged when you do see a good redemption option pop up.
Can you point to a page about non flight miles expiration for FB?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Any reason why Delta is not included in this offer? DL-Amex are tied at the hip...
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Any reason why Delta is not included in this offer? DL-Amex are tied at the hip...
Simple, either Amex and or Delta decided it didn't make commercial sense. There hasn't been a transfer bonus to DL in a very long time, probably about a decade or close to it. Neither party either needs or wants the incentive.
SPN Lifer, mia and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gdoubleu
Can you point to a page about non flight miles expiration for FB?
It’s kind of buried in the T&C when they redid the program somewhere around 2017 or so but with Flying Blue now there are effectively two different pools of miles- the ones you earn from flying (or using a specific co-branded FB credit card) and the ones you earn from everything else including point transfers from a non-cobranded FB credit card. And these two pools can have different expiration dates on the two year clock based on last activity of that type.

https://awardwallet.com/blog/air-fra...-miles-expire/
GarlicFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BCH
Hmm. I would check directly with AmEx. On the AmEx transfer screen, it was showing how many points (incl. the 40% bonus) AmEx was transferring to BA Avios, and that's how many should have arrived at BA.

In my case, AmEx showed the correct amount that would arrive at BA (incl bonus) and the correct amount arrived a few seconds later.

My suggestion is to reach out to AmEx and sort it out as soon as possible.
Thanks! I did just that and the CSR has opened a case for the Membership Rewards Team to look into. I’m supposed to call back/open a chat after 10 days if I haven’t seen the bonus points post to my BA account.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Simple, either Amex and or Delta decided it didn't make commercial sense.
It's my understanding that the transfer partners incur the costs of transfer bonuses, as a way to increase transfers. For example, a hotel program may offer double points for MR->hotel transfers. They get the normal amount of money from Amex for each MR point transferred, and incur the eventual costs of the double points in terms of increased redemptions from their program. They do this to increase the number of transfers during the promotional period, which increases the money paid to them by Amex. It's not really up to Amex to decide when and where to offer the transfer bonuses (although of course they would not be possible if Amex didn't see value in them as well).
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
It's my understanding that the transfer partners incur the costs of transfer bonuses...
Ultimately all parties will have to do their accounting in legal tender. We don't know how the points were valued to begin with in every transferable pair. Unless somebody leaks that info, we can't know how transfer bonuses are negotiated either.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Because Delta is being Delta, and Delta probably neither wants it nor wants to pay for a transfer bonus and what a hypothetical transfer bonus would mean for DL. DL sort of sees Amex Membership Rewards as a competitor, so nudging things further in favor of the partner-competitor would be sort of like an own-goal in soccer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...DL sort of sees Amex Membership Rewards as a competitor...
I didn't get that part. Seems like Sky Miles and MR are parallel rewards -- getting more of one will not affect the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.