Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA, Personal only) Digital Entertainment Credit (October 2023, 7 services)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you use your Platinum Card® for eligible purchases on:
  • Audible, Removed 10/1/2023
  • Disney+,The Disney Bundle,
  • ESPN+,
  • Hulu,
  • Peacock,
  • SiriusXM, Leaving 5.8.2024
  • The New York Times
  • The Wall Street Journal
when you purchase directly from one or more of the providers

Note that the New York Times bills every 4 weeks, not monthly. This means that there are 13 NYT charges per calendar year.

Print Wikipost

Platinum (USA, Personal only) Digital Entertainment Credit (October 2023, 7 services)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by lsquare
My AT&T plan lets me roam in Canada and Mexico.

Has anyone tested the SiriusXM receiver in Canada and Mexico to confirm it doesn't work?
Not in the footprint.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Not in the footprint.
Huh?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Huh?
Mexico and Canada aren't on the footprint of the Sirius/XM service.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Has anyone tested the SiriusXM receiver in Canada and Mexico to confirm it doesn't work?
I live only about 50 miles from the Canada border and pre-covid went to Windsor and Toronto a lot and it wouldn't work. I had to stream through my phone if I wanted to listen to sirius
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:34 am

You cannot access SiriusXM using a US receiver outside of the USA. Of course the footprint is not dead accurate so you might get a little bleed over in the border areas and you might find that it will not even work on the US side along the border in areas, because, satellite footprints are not that contour-able. But there is a way to receive the on-demand music service still a strategy to bypass the regional censorship of SiriusXM.com.

You can only listen to Sirius XM away from US in Canada or Mexico by using a VPN service. SiriusXM.com is able to block the access of users outside of the country making use of their IP address. However, when you use a VPN connection to unblock in Canada or Mexico and choose its server based in the US, your original IP address is going to be screened by the US IP address, making SiriusXM.com believe that you happen to be accessing from within the US. In this way, you can hear still SiriusXM away from the US and never have to face regional restrictions or limitations regardless of the sort.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Mexico and Canada aren't on the footprint of the Sirius/XM service.
Yes, SiriusXM USA has a different satellite pattern than SiriusXM Canada or SiriusXM Mexico. The antennas only point at the USA.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:01 am

If that is not good enough detail, let me know and I will try to elaborate more to help you understand isquare.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
You can only listen to Sirius XM away from US in Canada or Mexico by using a VPN service.
This is simply not true. I use the app often without a VPN, and I'm half way across the world...
lbbzman and jamesteroh like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Be like me, and test it out for your fellow flyer talkers 😊
I couldn't find any additional posts on this topic (accumulating gift cards via siriusxm.com to trigger the monthly digital entertainment credit), so I decided to try it. However, it appears that the $30 gift card requires $10.75 in shipping charges. So you would have to spend $40.75, less $20 in credit (if the credit actually triggers), for a net of $20.75 for a $30 gift card. Because I'm also using the credit for the NYT and plan to use it for Peacock next month as well for the Olympics, I wouldn't receive the full $20 in credit to offset the SXM gift card. As such, I'm unwilling to try this given the shipping charges. But if someone isn't using the credit at all, it might be worthwhile if the gift card indeed triggers the credit.

EDITED TO ADD: It appears shipping is free for purchases of $49.99 or greater. So I'll go ahead and get a $50 card and see what happens. No risk as far as I can tell, since I'll apply the gift card to my annual subscription.

Last edited by lbbzman; Jan 26, 2022 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lbbzman
I couldn't find any additional posts on this topic (accumulating gift cards via siriusxm.com to trigger the monthly digital entertainment credit), so I decided to try it. However, it appears that the $30 gift card requires $10.75 in shipping charges. So you would have to spend $40.75, less $20 in credit (if the credit actually triggers), for a net of $20.75 for a $30 gift card. Because I'm also using the credit for the NYT and plan to use it for Peacock next month as well for the Olympics, I wouldn't receive the full $20 in credit to offset the SXM gift card. As such, I'm unwilling to try this given the shipping charges. But if someone isn't using the credit at all, it might be worthwhile if the gift card indeed triggers the credit.

EDITED TO ADD: It appears shipping is free for purchases of $49.99 or greater. So I'll go ahead and get a $50 card and see what happens. No risk as far as I can tell, since I'll apply the gift card to my annual subscription.
Why not just sign up for one of the many $30/6 month promos? At the regular rate you will burn through $50 quickly.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Why not just sign up for one of the many $30/6 month promos? At the regular rate you will burn through $50 quickly.
Good question. I have a long standing annual subscription with below market pricing. I don't need very many gift cards to cover my annual cost.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:16 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Bumping this thread to put in a data point that Amex seems to be having another delay this month in posting credits. (Have seen similar data points on the Saks and Walmart threads.) My NYT was charged on 3/13, and the counter under Benefits did update for the month to reflect the $17, but no credit as of yet, two weeks later.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dw
Bumping this thread to put in a data point that Amex seems to be having another delay this month in posting credits. (Have seen similar data points on the Saks and Walmart threads.) My NYT was charged on 3/13, and the counter under Benefits did update for the month to reflect the $17, but no credit as of yet, two weeks later.
My sirius charge posted on the sixth and received the credit the next day.

Now Walmart is another story, charge posted over two weeks ago and statement closed Saturday and nothing. The Walmart benefit is pretty useless to me but the Streaming credit is something I would use regardless.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by dw
Exact same problem for me aswell (but with Audible). Bar moved on the monthly tracker, but nothing credit wise in the close to 2 weeks since.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Mar 28, 2022 at 11:55 am Reason: Updating info for an easier read.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:55 am

dw to the extent that a positive datapoint can help narrow down the window, both of those credits posted successfully for me this month.

Audible charged March 2, credit received March 4
W+ charged March 6, credit received March 9

I guess we will see how things go when those refresh next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.