Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA, Personal only) Digital Entertainment Credit (October 2023, 7 services)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you use your Platinum Card® for eligible purchases on:
  • Audible, Removed 10/1/2023
  • Disney+,The Disney Bundle,
  • ESPN+,
  • Hulu,
  • Peacock,
  • SiriusXM, Leaving 5.8.2024
  • The New York Times
  • The Wall Street Journal
when you purchase directly from one or more of the providers

Note that the New York Times bills every 4 weeks, not monthly. This means that there are 13 NYT charges per calendar year.

Print Wikipost

Platinum (USA, Personal only) Digital Entertainment Credit (October 2023, 7 services)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by time_stamp
My heart kind of sank when I saw that the entertainment credit would only be valid at "participating partners." Wonder what that means.
hahahaha the streaming credit is limited to SiriusXM, Audible, and Peacock

https://reddit.com/r/amex/comments/o..._very_limited/
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:55 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WasKnown

And NYTimes.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:01 pm

Not good: entertainment choices
Since when NYTimes becomes an entertainment?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:03 pm

Welp, that takes the value of that credit from $240 to $0 for me.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I use Audible anyway but it's annoying that the credit is given monthly as Audible gives you 2 months free for paying annually instead of monthly.

Rn the combo looks to be:

Audible Premium Plus + Peacock Premium or Peacock Premium Plus + Audible Plus
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mahogany
LOL...not even sure you can pay me to use any of those services.

PS - What's Audible? Something where you listen to books or something like that?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:03 am

Jesus limited options on streaming credit, yikes!
​​​​​​ Thank God I'm obsessed with audible (80 books on my account). I have a premium plus membership right now, I will just add one under the wife. I get a ton of value there. Sucks for people who don't like audible.

For those hating on hotel credit I love it. Simple date night away or panic scramble on family trip went bad. Very useful. Overall it's net positive if we keep saks credit. Hard to verify yet on that one.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
The digital streaming credit is only good for a limited number of partners. For many people, that is not worthwhile. Not sure how you can value the Uber credits at face when you are prepaying for them. Even Uber doesn't value prepaid credits at face value and sells them at a discount (currently 15% rn). Overall think this was a slight net negative for most people but not a massive loss.
This is terrible news!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mountain flyer
These benefits are not anything that I would normally pay for, except perhaps the hotel credit in a normal year. Really disappointing.

We always knew the equinox credit was going to suck. I am disappointed in how limited the streaming credit is. I occasionally find shady audible deals but in this case I won't have to anymore. But a huge percentage of people never use audible, why don't they at least have Spotify or other stuff like that.

I feel like this is going to be a scenario that certain people benefit greatly (Yes I will admit me) and other people are just kind of screwed. It could have been worse but they could have made it so much better.

Maybe this will help improve peacock. They have good content it's just so limited.

Audible subscriptions make great gifts so you could use this to gift a subscription for a year to someone. In case you need to find benefit. My wife did it for me and I love it. Audible premium plus has a lot of free content. Some is good some is bad. Some existing paid audible books get converted into premium plus content.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Corey Sacken
.... why don't they at least have Spotify or other stuff like that....
Likely because Spotify did not want to pay to market their service to American Express Platinum cardholders. The list of eligible streaming providers will probably grow a bit, but it won't be transformed.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:13 am

The Digital Entertainment credit is one of those that you have to actually go into the portal/app and click "Enroll" just like the Saks credit.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
The Digital Entertainment credit is one of those that you have to actually go into the portal/app and click "Enroll" just like the Saks credit.
If you can. When I try, I get: "System Currently unavailable"
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Mahogany
Some stellar fiction in there!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:24 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Ugh, as I read the T&Cs for the streaming credit. Indeed it is not simply $240/year, it's a $20/month limit amongst those subscription options!

We'd been thinking of signing up for Peacock, and the $9.95/month one is a no-brainer for our family including small kids.

SiriusXM's pricing scheme is the hangup for me. I too get it for like $60/year (after I decline, decline, decline the renewal offer--one just needs to stand firm enough before they offer the $5/month rate). However, I'm confident you need to prepay the year for that and anything close to that average monthly price. Their packages list a monthly price, including my $60/year all-access of $8.25/month--but I can't get too far because I'm smack-dab in the middle of my current 12-month 'promotion'. Anyone have experience if you can indeed pay monthly to get a favorable rate, or is it one or the other? The latter makes the streaming credit even LESS attractive.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
So far today, I signed up for $14.95 Audible and $4.24 NYT Monthly Entertainment Credits, totaling about $19.19. I'll re-evaluate next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.