Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
<snip>Has anybody noticed a difference in speed of how Hotel Collection vs. FHR bookings are credited? I made a THC prepaid reservation with my MS Plat around Sept. 26 and the $200 was credited back within 3 days or so. I made an FHR booking on my Schwab Platinum card on Sept. 30 that hasn't been credited yet.
We did an FHR booking with my wife's Schwab Platinum and the credit posted in two days. Not sure I'd draw too many conclusions from your data points.

Regards
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Quick question: Do I have until the end of the calendar year or the end of my membership year to make use of this credit?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
Quick question: Do I have until the end of the calendar year or the end of my membership year to make use of this credit?
Calendar year.
merlin90 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:08 am
dzt

It just means that regardless of how many additional cards (read: authorized users) you have, the card account itself can only get $200 in credits, it doesn't matter who spends it.

Has anybody noticed a difference in speed of how Hotel Collection vs. FHR bookings are credited? I made a THC prepaid reservation with my MS Plat around Sept. 26 and the $200 was credited back within 3 days or so. I made an FHR booking on my Schwab Platinum card on Sept. 30 that hasn't been credited yet.
i made an FHR booking on my schwab platinum 10/3 and credited 10/5.

So AU booking does get credit for FHR even gold card AU booking under the primary Platinum right ?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:57 am

Simple question: I book a room for New Year today using Pay Now. It will CHARGE me today and posted in a few days instead of charging me on Dec 31st?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by taiquanxx
Simple question: I book a room for New Year today using Pay Now. It will CHARGE me today and posted in a few days instead of charging me on Dec 31st?
Yes. Did the same thing a few weeks ago. Credited within two days $200
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
My FHR booking didn't credit for over a month. Then I chatted with an AmEx agent. He took a few minutes to check my booking, then stated that I met all the requirements, and that he'd issue a manual credit. It posted a week after that chat (backdated 3 days).
I noted that the hotel folks always referred to that booking as "prepaid", and never mentioned FHR or any extra benefits. I was fine with regular Diamond benefits, so had no incentive to investigate further .
Which hotel was this that didn't track? Or was it something else about the booking that didn't trigger FHR that you did?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the rate have to be more than $200?
No. I have gotten $193 credit where that was the full cost of the booking (NH Quito part of hotel collection)
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Calendar year.
Do I have to have travel completed by the end of the calendar year or can I book and prepay for a stay in the following year? Asking since all of my travel for the rest of the year is pretty much confirmed.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Do I have to have travel completed by the end of the calendar year or can I book and prepay for a stay in the following year? Asking since all of my travel for the rest of the year is pretty much confirmed.
I haven't tried, but if it's prepaid (needs to be for reimbursement), then you will get a credit during the calendar year the charge is incurred. I don't think the system is smart enough to restrict you from making a booking for the next calendar year. However, if you need to cancel in the future, you run the risk of the credit being clawed back and lost forever because it doesn't carry over to the following year.

LAX
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
It has to be booked for and paid for by the end of the calendar year. Just like airline credits. You'll get the credit once it's paid for "within this year" for this year's credit. I booked mine and paid for it and already completed my stay, because I just didn't want to deal with any possible changes for next year since my travel plans will be really fluid next year.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I made an FHR booking on my Schwab Platinum card on Sept. 30 that hasn't been credited yet.
To close the loop on this, the $200 credit showed up this morning with a date of Oct. 11.
MaxVO and akr1970akr like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by Doppy
I can confirm that FHR/THC prepaid charges less than $200 qualify and are automatically credited.
wow hard to find bookings that meet that!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
wow hard to find bookings that meet that!
Try Vegas in December, or 5 star hotels in India or Thailand.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Try Vegas in December, or 5 star hotels in India or Thailand.
What if we aren't going anywhere close to any of those places? I'm having a harder time than I thought I would to use this credit. I'm not finding any hotel in places that we are actually going to that are under $500. I'm not interested in paying $300 out of pocket when I can get a perfectly fine luxury hotel completely free on points via Marriott or Hyatt or the like. I'm willing to go up to $300 and pay $100 out of pocket but more than that defeats the purpose for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.