Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Pretty straightforward Amex FHR booking and stay triggering both last year’s $200 travel credit and this year’s $200 hotel credit

This did not happen in my case. I am not sure if it is because I already received part of the 200 travel credit. But for the travel credit, it posted as amextravel -$XX.XX. I am not sure if your case was unusual.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Quick question on these:
  • I do understand that the $200 plat hotel credit only applies on pre-paid stays, however, can you still get the FHR/THC benefits on stays where you choose to pay at the hotel (I assume not all hotels offer it, but I'm looking at one that does). I want to assume the answer is yes, since the rate includes a free night using the THC promo going on through 9/30, and that rate remains the same whether I choose to pay now or later, but you know what they say about assuming....
  • THC $100 credit is once for the stay, correct, not each night, and sounds like what it can count toward varies by property? (FHR, comparatively credit benefit seems to be per night?).
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Quick question on these:..
If some deal requirements don't seem logical, you're not looking at them from the sponsor's perspective. They would actually benefit, if the consumer "assumes" or overlooks all required parts of the deal.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:14 am

What happens if you book a stay get the $200 credit and then cancel.

Will the $200 credit get reversed?

Will you be able to book another FHR booking and then get another $200 credit for a new booking.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Are you sure it was either a Fine Hotel and Resort to The Hotel Collection booking? Most people indicate the credit posts a day or so after charge, so it is the exception when it doesn't
Yes, I think that WAS my problem. I used the "book now" button under the "Benefits" tab to book my hotel. It then displayed a list of hotels. But it turns out that list included lots of hotels that aren't eligible for the rebate. I see AMEX has NOW modified this listing to color-code participating "Fine Hotels and Resorts" and "Hotel Collection" properties -- separating them from all the other hotels where you won't get the credit. So if you fully understand what's going on, you'll know which hotels work and which don't.

In my case, the AMEX agents (logically) didn't understand which hotels qualified. So they told me my booking qualified even though AMEX didn't intend that to be the case. When I complained, they actually went back and replayed the recorded conversation in which their agent told me my booking qualified! Based on that recording, they have decided to pay me the $200 credit for my booking, which I think is the right thing for them to do.

Going forward, though, this benefit probably won't be useful to many people. For my Hawaiian travel dates, they now only have 3 hotels on the island of Hawaii that qualifiy. The minimum nightly rate for booking one of these properties is $1100. I think that won't interest too many cardholders.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:09 pm

is there a way to see a full list of FHR and THC hotels without specifying destination country/city?

if yes please share link or method, thank you
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
What happens if you book a stay get the $200 credit and then cancel.

Will the $200 credit get reversed?

Will you be able to book another FHR booking and then get another $200 credit for a new booking.
i think these days Amex has coded it right. cancelled booking, $200 is clawed. rebooked, $200 credit is applied again.

but take note that the rebooking must happen and post by 31 December 2021. if it is after, you lose the $200 credit forever for the 2021 year.

so i think it's actually better to use the credit for travel intended for this year rather than next year if you still have uncertain plans
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
is there a way to see a full list of FHR and THC hotels without specifying destination country/city?
Start here: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/discover/
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks, this is a good link to start. was hoping to also see a map version but no..
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Quick question on these:
  • I do understand that the $200 plat hotel credit only applies on pre-paid stays, however, can you still get the FHR/THC benefits on stays where you choose to pay at the hotel (I assume not all hotels offer it, but I'm looking at one that does). I want to assume the answer is yes, since the rate includes a free night using the THC promo going on through 9/30, and that rate remains the same whether I choose to pay now or later, but you know what they say about assuming....
  • THC $100 credit is once for the stay, correct, not each night, and sounds like what it can count toward varies by property? (FHR, comparatively credit benefit seems to be per night?).
Bullet #1 .. Correct .. The $200 Annual Plat Credit only applies to prepaid bookings .. bookings made through FHR/THC will received the same at-property FHR/THC benefits regardless of prepay or postpaidj
Bullet #2 .. Not as Correct .. The THC offers $100 once per stay, the FHR benefit (usually valued at $100) is a once per stay, however the breakfast benefit is a per day benefit. This is why inexpensive FHR hotels are great for a one-night stay (THC has a minimum of 2-nights)
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:33 pm
mia

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thanks, this is a good link to start. was hoping to also see a map version but no..
But yes

ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
But yes
found it, big thanks to you!!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by m907
I have a related question - does anyone know if I can book a hotel as a gift for a person who doesn't have a card?
have you tried it yet
i always wonder if authorized gold users who are added to plat accounts if they can use the credit too
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by happyvoid
have you tried it yet
i always wonder if authorized gold users who are added to plat accounts if they can use the credit too
Must be prepaid with the Platinum card and cardholder must stay in the room I believe are the terms.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 4:50 pm
mia

The terms seem clear that only the primary and supplementary Platinum cards are eligible:

U.S. Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card®Members may receive up to a total of $200 in statement credits each calendar year, across all Cards on the Account, when using their eligible Platinum Card on eligible, prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.