Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Sure, but we all know what happens with AmEx they will claw it back 2 years later. Would rather get this taken care of now than later.
just call them now and ask them to take care of it ... issue closed.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
When you Pay with Points the full cost of the stay will be billed to your card. In a separate transaction, points will be redeemed to (partially) offset the charge. I cannot see any reason this would disqualify that $200 credit but use Search this Thread to look for reports.
thank you. If for some reason (i.e. hurricane or life event) we book this and cannot travel , I assume I don’t get the points back and lose everything correct?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by michael1023
thank you. If for some reason (i.e. hurricane or life event) we book this and cannot travel , I assume I don’t get the points back and lose everything correct?
Prepaid reservations are not nonrefundable. Check the cancellation terms when you book
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Prepaid reservations are not nonrefundable. Check the cancellation terms when you book
It’s via Amex travel. It just says there’s no cancellation fee so long 72 hours before check in.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by SP03
Most Amex Travel prepaid bookings are fully refundable.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Most Amex Travel prepaid bookings are fully refundable.
Well that sounds good. Is there a specific place to see the terms, or depends on the booking?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Well that sounds good. Is there a specific place to see the terms, or depends on the booking?
Depends on the booking. You can see it when you pick the room, though.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Depends on the booking. You can see it when you pick the room, though.
i mean yeah, when i read the terms in the final page of the booking, and click cancellation policy, it just says so long as i cancel before 72 hours before check in, there’s no one nights charge etc…nothing about that its not non-refundable or anything…

i guess I’m ok
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mama
You just can't keep a secret?
I made a hotel collection reservation in 2021 using 2021 credit. Cancelled the room in 2022, and Amex clawed back $200.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:23 am

It’s via Amex travel. It just says there’s no cancellation fee so long 72 hours before check in.
I booked this Disney dolphin via hotel collection and the charge went through on September 4. Then a credit of 560 for using points. I guess I should expect the hotel credit within the next few days?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:24 pm

I booked this Disney dolphin via hotel collection and the charge went through on September 4. Then a credit of 560 for using points. I guess I should expect the hotel credit within the next few days?
sorry to be a pest, but what is the average time it takes to get the $200 credit

thank you
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....what is the average time it takes to get the $200 credit
Terms say to allow "up to" 90 days. Some actual experiences are in this thread. Example:

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
....$200 credit posted 3-4 days after booking.
michael1023 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Another hotel I'll tag on - going to Ecuador with a friend in September and getting 2 nights at the NH Collection Quito Royal for about $12/night net after taxes & credit. It's hotel collection, but DPs show the $100 credit is good towards breakfast and will cover it for 2 people for 2 mornings. Likely not worth the full $200 credit (breakfast in Quito isn't exactly expensive and decent Airbnbs/local hotels are fairly cheap), but I'd rate it worth about $130-$150 so not a bad option for those who want to treat it as a credit rather than a coupon.
Just wrapped up the stay so thought I'd post a quick review. Ended up moving the stay a day and the new rate became $196 inc tax for 2 nights, so I ended up paying nothing for the room rate after the credit. At the hotel we didn't get an upgrade as we needed 2 beds (only larger rooms available had a King), but did get checked in at 11a and was able to check out at 2p.

The $100 credit could be used at the restaurant or for spa treatments. We did the breakfast option ($9/person/day if you pay at check-in, $15 otherwise) which was a pretty large and decent quality spread of items including espresso drinks and (I believe but didn't order) made to order eggs. We also each had a massage (they start at $40 for a 40 minute Swedish massage) and it was a good masseuse but the spa area is kind of weird. Wouldn't pay full price, but given the credit, not a bad option to do. The restaurant also served lunch and dinner off an a la carte menu, but we didn't partake.

Rooms were fine but fairly large although the bathroom could have used an update. Had zero noise and a solid blackout curtain, plus a good bed and pillow.

Overall, I would say it is similar to an above average, in-town Holiday Inn. Definitely not luxurious, but for 2 nights with a good breakfast, 2 massages, and free parking for almost free with the Amex credit, I have zero complaints.

Pro tip: Use their airport transfer service if you are going to the airport. It's not covered by the credit, but at $25, it's within a couple dollars of what Uber/Cabify wanted but uses SUVs rather than the Chevy Aveos & Hyundai Accents prolific throughout the taxi/rideshare scene in Quito. Gave them a time we wanted to leave and they were ready for us with a great driver.
MDtR-Chicago and MaxVO like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
Terms say to allow "up to" 90 days. Some actual experiences are in this thread. Example:
yes I got the 200 credit. Thank you. Oh happy day
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
yes I got the 200 credit.
Very good. How many days after you paid for the stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.