Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the usage rate will be for the Equinox offer. 1%? We'll never know, but I'd bet that'll be the lowest of the bunch. And I'd guess Amex pays close to nothing to Equinox for that one, even for the takers.
lsquare and m907 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
This is disappointing, particularly with the limited streaming options and more restrictions on the hotel credit than anticipated. The $550 annual fee is difficult enough to justify let alone $695 for some marginal new benefits.

Is it confirmed that the Airline fee credit continues into 2022, or is it just continuing until the end of the year? I’m reading that it remains but my cynical nature makes me wonder if they pull it at the end of the year. This might be the difference on whether I renew another year of this card or not.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The Equinox credit is worthless:

This benefit is available to Platinum Card® members who pay monthly for Equinox All Access, Destination, E by Equinox or Equinox+ membership only. Your current Equinox membership does not qualify for this benefit.
You can upgrade your Equinox membership by contacting the Concierge.

I live in a city with 2 Equinox locations. Why would I upgrade my membership to Equinox All Access?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:55 am
kyh

Does anyone know that if you are given the $200 FHR "Travel Credit" earlier this year and used the full $200, will you be getting another $200 to use from July to December this year?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by kyh
Does anyone know that if you are given the $200 FHR "Travel Credit" earlier this year and used the full $200, will you be getting another $200 to use from July to December this year?
yes, they are not related. The earlier credit was a one-time offer to certain existing cardholders. This is a regular ongoing benefit that applies to "all" cards.

Also interestingly the T&C of the new travel credit states that you just need to make the booking prior to Dec 31st. So technically you can make a (e.g. two day) booking for some time next year, get the 200 credit and come January, you can make another booking (before/after your existing one) and get another $200 and use it on a single trip.

Last edited by arshi007; Jul 1, 2021 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by kyh
I haven’t used my $200 yet, I logged in and they are marketing them as up to $400 in credits, so you get to use the new credits

I also figured out these credits are calendar year, which is honestly pretty nice. If you sign up for a new card now, you get $800 in airline fee / hotel credits before your second annual fee
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:07 am

Has Amex said if the AU fee is increasing at all or if any of the new benefits are duplicated for AU's?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: Several

At least the rollout was done well by Amex. A nice printout clearly explaining the changes and a water bottle were offered to me this morning at the DEN CL.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$149 increase with an easy to use $200 hotel credit negates the fee increase for me. I will have no trouble using that credit organically.

Equinox is useless for me, even though I live in one of their cities. This isn't enough of an incentive to get me to switch.

The entertainment credit partners are limited and it's annoying that it's a monthly credit when annual subscriptions are usually a much better deal.

I get Clear for free from United so no help there. Unfortunately just like the Global Entry credit this is becoming a benefit that's duplicated by a bunch of companies and thus useless after the first one. It's also going to increase the number of Clear members which, like precheck means that eventually everyone has it and the benefit reduces over time. There have been a number of times recently where the Clear line was longer than the precheck line.

Overall I don't care for all of these monthly credit benefits. They inevitably don't credit for one reason or another regularly, and then I have to call in or chat half a dozen times to "save" $20. It feels cheap.
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
CLEAR Clarification :D

Here are the CLEAR T&Cs from Amex (as found under 'benefits' of my personal Plat) :

New: $179 CLEAR Credit
You can earn up to $179 in statement credits per calendar year when you use your Platinum Card to pay for your annual CLEAR membership. Enrollment in CLEAR is required. CLEAR memberships automatically renew each year unless canceled and CLEAR will charge the applicable membership fee to the Card CLEAR has on file. American Express has no control over the application and/or approval process for CLEAR, and does not have access to any information provided to CLEAR by the Card Member or by CLEAR to the Card Member. American Express has no liability regarding the CLEAR program. If a Card Member's application is not approved by CLEAR, CLEAR will refund the charges. If the statement credit benefit has been applied before CLEAR refunds the charges, that statement credit will be reversed. Purchases by both the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $179 on the Card Account per calendar year. For additional information on the CLEAR program, including information regarding membership, eligibility, and for a list of participating locations, as well as the full terms and conditions of the program, please go to www.clearme.com. The CLEAR program is subject to change, and American Express has no control over those changes. Please allow up to 2-4 weeks after a qualifying CLEAR transaction is charged to your Card Account for the statement credit to be posted to the Account. American Express relies on accurate transaction data to identify eligible CLEAR purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying purchase on your eligible Card after 4 weeks, please call the number on the back of your Card. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all CLEAR charges. To be eligible for this benefit, your Card account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information, call the number on the back of your Card.
Sounds like an auto-credit, so, because I get CLEAR free for being a United 1K, looks like I can add my whole family (wife and 2 young ones) for $50 total ($50 per adult, and children under 18 are free). I can't see anything that forbids me from getting just that $50 credit. My alternative option would be to get my wife her own account, pay the published rate and add our kids there--but it would be nice in general to have everyone under the same account.
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Btrip
Has Amex said if the AU fee is increasing at all or if any of the new benefits are duplicated for AU's?
“ We will charge $175 for up to 3 additional Platinum Cards, $175 for each additional Platinum Card after the first 3, and $0 for additional Gold Cards.”

That’s the language with the applications under this new, higher fee for Platinum accounts. That answers your question about the fee side. About the benefits for the additional Platinum card users on an account, I wouldn’t expect much additional from Amex on this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:20 am
kyh

Last edited by kyh; Jul 4, 2021 at 4:10 am
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:25 am

Are the new credits effective as of today?
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WasKnown
hahahaha the streaming credit is limited to SiriusXM, Audible, and Peacock

https://reddit.com/r/amex/comments/o..._very_limited/
And the SiriusXM credit is completely worthless. Who pays $20/month for SiriusXM, or even pays for it monthly? I've never paid more than $60 a year for it, and it's paid once a year. If they ever do refuse to renew at that rate, I'll just cancel outright, so SiriusXM doesn't even value their own service at more than $5/month. They just want to see if any suckers either forget to renew or are too lazy to make a 3 minute phone call once a year to get the $60/12 months rate.

As far as the FHR credit is concerned, I just checked FHR for a Hawai`i (Big Island) trip since that is where I don't have a condo to stay in, and it's basically worthless. Nothing under $700/night. I'm not paying that much just to use up a $200 credit.

So after making me jump through hoops to use an Uber Eats credit every month instead of just giving one credit for the whole year, after making me jump through hoops to use a stupid airline credit every year, and after devaluing the Priority Pass to not include restaurants (which effectively means I use my Chase PP more often), it'll be interesting to see if I decide that this is the final straw.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Apologies if this is covered, I read most of the thread but was admittedly going quickly - do we know yet how/when this impacts existing cardholders, both in terms of the new benefits and increase in AF?

Originally Posted by WasKnown
hahahaha the streaming credit is limited to SiriusXM, Audible, and Peacock

https://reddit.com/r/amex/comments/o..._very_limited/
That's disappointing; was hoping the streaming credits would be the same partners as previously to include Netflix, Hulu, etc. I have SiriusXM but literally just paid for a whole year. Cost me a whopping $60. I guess I can subscribe to NYT now.

Originally Posted by Mahogany
FYI, last month we (2 plat card holders) waited 40 minutes at Seattle just to get in the lounge.
It would be nice to have Admiral/Alaska/United Club added to Plat benefit. — I know I am dreaming.
Not too far-fetched of a dream. AA/US used to be included many, many years ago. And AS via PP. Very different landscape now, of course.

Originally Posted by carlitos
And $200 for me!!! All cars fully covered with 2 Amex Plats (3 vehicles). Can't live without my Sirius XM Radio ...
add to that $200 for WN tickets + $200 for Uber Eats + $100 fo Saks 5th Ave. and that is free Centurion Lounge!!!
I get Clear for free due to being 1K with UA, so that one is the only one I will have to transfer to someone else.
How are you spending $400 on three SiriusXM subscriptions? An All-Access sub is $60/year (+tax).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.